• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Army Equipement and CTS Update

Bomber -- Keep in mind that Kifaru does CADPAT versions TW and AR for some people...

MJP said:
Yes but have you worn it fully loaded (and I mean fully loaded) with plates, frag vest and your tac-vest?  IMHO (and my Platoons it seems) that the bag isn't cut out for even overnight trips and we all carry our rucks overseas now even for small trips.

Great cadpat book bag though......

We were doing some training with the old Vietnam style frag vests (no plates) and TVs, and with only a fleece and stealth suit in my small pack and it did not work or fit well. The arm straps seemed too short to work, and the pack didn't work well or feel good with even that small amount of stuff in it. Awkward would be the best descriptor IMO. I would not want to carry that thing around loaded up with all the protective gear. I echo what some of the taller guys were saying about it too. I'm 6'2" and the bloody waist belt does up around my lower ribs, and forge even wearing the belt if I'm wearing a TV with it. although it does work well for a laptop/school bag...my Toshiba A50 fits perfect in the radio pouch.... ::)
Edit for spelling

"Yes but have you worn it fully loaded (and I mean fully loaded) with plates, frag vest and your tac-vest?  IMHO (and my Platoons it seems) that the bag isn't cut out for even overnight trips and we all carry our rucks overseas now even for small trips.

Great cadpat book bag though......"

Your right Ive never worn it with Body armour.....but with Tack vest and jacket is seems fine....but all different body types and sizes...so its hard to please everyone!!! I also cant see it keeping up with the use that is required.

I would strongly encourage everyone who has questions or concerns regarding CTS products and production/issue timelines to send their comments directly to the project personnel here:  http://www.army.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/8/8_e.asp

Perhaps if more people write in, the CTS staff will acquire a greater appreciation for the manifest disatisfaction that their inadquate designs and molasses-like development/procurement/fielding process has engendered within the "pointy end" of the field force. 

Sadly, there is no "discussion forum" per se, nor are the  e-mails sent to the CTS staff available for viewing and comment.  For all we know, our e-mail comments will promptly end up in "File 13".  Still, you can't bitch if you don't at least make an effort.  Heck, even sending an e-mail with links to some of the more "controversial" CTS threads on this site might cause a few folks to sit up and take more notice of what the field force actually thinks.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the CADPAT Goretex rain gear that my Airforce bretheren have been wearing for the past 5 years.  It has been raining for the past 2 days here in Dundurn.  Every second soldier in the unit seems to be wearing a $220 Stealth Suit purchased at their own expense.  Go figure.  Hmmm - if project funding is the problem, you'd think that CTS would at least allow soldiers to purchase the "unobtainium" CADPAT rainsuit direct from the manufacturer based on proof of current service.  It can't be all that much more expensive than a Stealth Suit.....

Hatchet Man said:
... at least they are looking at some form of "underarmour" type of shirt to wear under the combat shirt.
MJP said:
Not really an underarmour shirt per se but just a better T-shirt than the current cotton one.  We did the first trials as did the 3rd Bn just last fall.  Underarmour is not allowed to be worn anymore due to the melting/shrinkage effect it has when exposed to high heat ie: explosions
Here is the catch.  I don't think you can get something that offers the comfort of underarmour without loosing the fire protection of the cotton shirt.  Thinking back to Op Peregrine, cotton shirts were the recommended undergarment with NOMEX.

There is a trade-off to be made.  One shirt is less comfortable and the other may melt to your skin and cause greater injury in the fireball of an SVBIED attack.

. . . but, does the rest of the uniform offer us any better fire protection?  Underarmour was banned by the US Army (who has non-melting & fire resistant uniforms) because it was the weak link in protecting US soldiers.  Where do our uniforms stand for resistance to melting or fire?

MPSHIELD said:
The good news is, according to the presentation, everyone in the LF might be issued the CAMELBAK (just waiting for funding and approval).
It is also compatible with the Tac Vest (attaches to the back) but is less compatable with purchased chest-rigs.  AR CADPAT covers already exist and both are in issue in Afghanistan.

They can only buy so much each year with their allowance so spend a lot of time thinking about what to spend it on. If the money for item X isn't going to be budgeted for 5 years it makes little sense to decide what to get in 6 months and have it become dated in the 4 1/2 year wait before it's fielded. Of course with 5 years to play with they start doing some really odd things just because they have the time and need to look busy.

To bad about the lame rules regarding the use of Cadpat, or else Peerless could just start selling CADPAT stealth suits, make it tax deductable, and everyone wins.

DBA said:
They can only buy so much each year with their allowance so spend a lot of time thinking about what to spend it on. If the money for item X isn't going to be budgeted for 5 years it makes little sense to decide what to get in 6 months and have it become dated in the 4 1/2 year wait before it's fielded. Of course with 5 years to play with they start doing some really odd things just because they have the time and need to look busy.

I was told a similar story when i tried to get my IECS jacket and pants from stores - apparently the army's budget for clothing has been soaked up because of the afghanistan deployment, while the air force was able to set aside money for those items, and thus were able to get the cadpat rain jacket.

My thoughts on the smallpack is that it's better than what i had before, which was nothing. my experience is limited at best, but i've done a few exercises with the smallpack and a 522 inside. the 522 fits decently, and i'd much rather use the SPS for carrying the 522 than the issued manpack carrier, since i have some space left over. I'm 6'3", and i agree that the pack is much too high, just as i'm sure it is for many other taller soldiers. i found that the straps really dug into my shoulders and collarbone when i was wearing the SPS with 522, a TV and the PASGT vest. it always seems too heavy, no matter what i have inside of it. with the extra pouches on, i found it to be very bulky. my final complaint is that the top pouch inside of the flap is too small, and difficult to acess. (something like the pouch on the 82 ruck would have been better, IMO.).

just my 0.02

Bomber said:
To bad about the lame rules regarding the use of Cadpat, or else Peerless could just start selling CADPAT stealth suits, make it tax deductable, and everyone wins.

WOW stop it!!! That makes too much sense! LOL. Begs the question why did CTS not just take the same design as the stealth suit they currently make that has been field tested, proven and used by soldiers on operations and exercises. All CTS would need to do is throw a few more pockets. Velcro tab for brassard and velcro flag and you got yourself a CADPAT Rain suit! CTS should have been jumping at the that opportunity years ago as they would have had hundreds, if not thousands of solders who have trialed purchased this jacket at there own expense, costing CTS little in R and D.

Oh wait, I better stop it, I might start making sense!

OK I'm done ranting!

Add 3 years of trials per pocket you put on, how many do you want?
Stick with what they got, simple. Someone send an email to O'Connor

The small pack is a lot better than the old NBC bag in my opinion. My only complaint is wearing the small pack when your wearing your tacvest, armor AND ballastic plates.  Makes it pretty uncomfortable and awkward.

I'm told the airforce got the new cadpat rain jackets because they were happy with the version they were presented where as the army send the jacket back to get a few more modificatins done to it.

Back