• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mk III Combat Boots: Use, Maintenance & Other Stuff.

I wear the Walmart special insoles.  They have a picture of an egg bouncing off them, looked cool and now I am on my 5th set, I also bot the Dr. Sholls "orthotics" they are about 3/4 of your foot, and they feel great, the only problem is that the top material comes off too quickly, exposing the sticky glue underneath and then you have to frig around putting on your boots cause it slides up with your foot.

I know for me, nothing seems to really "work". I've tried the gren mukluk insoles, those physio issued insoles, I've even tried Gellin' like a magellin'.

Dr. Scholls Gel insoles have converted me... my unit's "building up" to the BFT, so lots of testing under an overweight ruck. No tellin' how much I'm gellin'. I used Spencos and Sorbathanes for years.

My vote goes to the Spenco or Sorbathane brands of closed-cell neoprene insoles.  They seem to fit standard-width military boots well and have excellent shock absorption qualities.  The closed-cell neoprene is important, as it doesn't absorb any water like the cheaper "foam-based" insoles do.

The Spencos in particular, are very durable with long-lasting resiliency.  I've gotten 5 years on average out of the pairs that I've purchased.

Do yourself a big favour and the spend the $25.  Your feet (and ankles/shins/knees/back) will thank-you for it over the long haul, especially if you spend any appreciable time on your pins under a rucksack.

CF_Lifer said:
Yes Krechowicz. The new WWB is replacing the old Mk.IIIs until the new Temperate combat boot is Designed, and Brought into Supply. So We'll have a Dual-Boot System ;D
(P.S. Thanks for stealing my Cap-Brass picture I scanned a couple years back. Useless Tit Brooks (The Big One) stole it from me.....lazy ***)

Incorrect - the Mk. III is to be replaced, but the CWWB is not its replacement.  A fair number of people choose to wear them because they are (at least in many people's opinions, mine included) vastly more comfortable than the black cadillacs, owing to the fact they are more accurately sized (using Mondopoint) and have Vibram outsoles.  Whether troops are allowed to wear them varies among units but it seems that nowhere has a problem with it, the powers-that-be in my Regiment figure that if they are issued, wear 'em.

As is oft posted by us DS types, best not to comment with assumed authority on things which you don't know.  Everyone is better off when the Signal-Noise ratio is high.

My advice to you.Any of the high end brand insoles are usually good quality and comfortable but be sure to take your boots with you to size and find what type is good for you.Unless you have a known foot\leg problem you should stay away from any insole that says "orthodic" as this may cause more problems than good.Also,if at any time you begin to suffer from shin splints, feet going to sleep on the march and\or extreame knee and back pain,a trip to the MIR would be justified.I pesonally sufferd with compartment syndrome for 5 years and finally went to the MO.The doc got me specialized orthodics and 2 pairs of Danners and now a 2 x 6 is a joke.
Just my 2 cents a little experience for ya to chew on.
Arte et Marte

anybody ever try sandwiching a couple of insoles together? like spenco on the bottom for cushion and gelsoles on the top for comfort?

then ur boots have to be bigger enough to fit them in. I tried that before, but they didn't fit in my boots.

If you start sandwhiching insoles, you're going to create some very weird angles, not good for your foot.

Generally, I use a pair of dr scholls sport insoles, and a pair of charcoal liners (Flat and very thin). Works fine for me.

Avoid overly cushioned insoles... you'll find strange effects while doing drill... I had a sergeant lay into me one day while on basic... due to new insoles, with a rather cushioned heel, I did a halt, and then bounced several times...

I have a pair of Black, GS MKIII Combat Boots and I was wondering if its ok to use Boot Blackener instead of the T3000 Slicone like it says in the instuctions, also is there any tricks to using this stuff, how thick do you apply it, can you do it in cold weather,

- q_1966

If you want to shine them then you use shoe/boot polish.  If you want to water proof them then you use silicone.  You use boot blackener (if you really need to) when the polish is all worn away and you just have bare leather.  Followed by shoe polish ASAP.

1.  For insoles, you can get sorbothane and superfeet through the system, just get a chit from a med O. The sorbothane didn't work for me, I have high arches, but the superfeet are the cats-ass!!

2.  You can also get your mk III's resoled with vibaram soles, or some people get chits for danner or hi-tech magnums, depending on the problem. Again through the med O

3.  A lot of people pay out of their own pocket for this and shouldn't be, though it's not something you can usualy do while on your basic recruit course, as it takes some time.  And remember, once you have the chit you can keep on getting free insoles on a one-for-one exchange as they wear out, that's a lot of $ over the years!

Cheers,
Mike

I just finished BMQ and am shortly off to Borden/Kingston for MOC(avs), I have seen my instructors wearing those new "gortex" boots and asked about getting a pair instead of the old "WWII" boots I was issued.  I was told that I could get issued some and my next unit.  Anyone else have some or have info?

.68 said:
I just finished BMQ and am shortly off to Borden/Kingston for MOC(avs), I have seen my instructors wearing those new "gortex" boots and asked about getting a pair instead of the old "WWII" boots I was issued.   I was told that I could get issued some and my next unit.   Anyone else have some or have info?

Sorry, but that's simply too funny ...
Okay - I'll try to say this with a straight face:  Using Murphy's Laws, you'll probably get your Goretex boots in the middle of ... August (ha!  Just kidding - can't help it).
Don't worry - you'll get them soon enough, as long as they've got your size in stock ... (chuckle!)

Got a pair of super feet insoles the other day... better then my old dr. scholls for standing around in, haven't had a chance to try them out for rucking or any long marches yet...

.68 said:
I just finished BMQ and am shortly off to Borden/Kingston for MOC(avs), I have seen my instructors wearing those new "gortex" boots and asked about getting a pair instead of the old "WWII" boots I was issued. I was told that I could get issued some and my next unit. Anyone else have some or have info?

Have fun on the snow buddy.

.68 said:
I just finished BMQ and am shortly off to Borden/Kingston for MOC(avs), I have seen my instructors wearing those new "gortex" boots and asked about getting a pair instead of the old "WWII" boots I was issued.   I was told that I could get issued some and my next unit.   Anyone else have some or have info?

There is only one problem that I have with the new Wet Weather Boots(WWB) is that the darn Virbram soles tend to have no traction when it is below zero and you are walking on ice u tend to slip alot. Because of this the army has sent a lot of the boots to be resoled with a new sole. Does anyone know what the new sole is or how it works?

WW2 boots?  You don't mean the old, pebbled, ankle hieght "ammo" boots they issued to the Militia until 1972, do you?  The Mk. II Cbt Boot replaced them then, and we were darn glad to get them, too!  If you mean Mk.I/II/III combat boots, they don't quite go back to WW2.  Does anyone remember when the Mk.1 Cbt boot was first issued to the Canadian Army (Regular)?  1964?

"24 pair of issue footwear, and counting."

Tom

Watch the Dr Scholls gel insoles, if you have extremely sweaty feet.  The insoles absorb moisture and can lead to some extremely painfull blisters while ruck marching and extended wear (BTDT on course! :-[ ;D). 

can lead to some extremely painfull blisters while ruck marching and extended wear

I can not agree more with that statement by Grunt. Last night I was out doing a 7 or 8 mile Ruck March (not sure how far in KM) and I was wearing the WWB with the black liner sock and dark green sock as the outer part. Shortly after we left, my feet were burning. When we got back, I had to peel the socks off my feet. Both feet had deep blisters (few layers of skin deep, dark pink) and sure enough I was walking on flaps of folded skin. They bandaged me up and sent me home ( end of our training night).The blisters are as wide as my foot just beneath my toes, and extend to the arches. I went to the hospital this morning, and they gave me a prescription ointment for burns.

Now, since I have to walk around on crutches, I'm on here a lot. lol I've been wondering, what type of socks should I be wearing in these boots? On my 3s courses they always told us to wear the black liner and green sock to reduce blisters and friction. Last night my higher ups were telling me never to wear them with the WWB but to wear "sport socks". And before someone says its the fitting... its not. My boots fit fine. Either way... Back to the Black Caddi's... they never failed me once!  ;)

Back