• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mk III Combat Boots: Use, Maintenance & Other Stuff.

hrmm... they're not going to be 100% dry are they? after a 1hr warm water soak 12hrs of wearing them later, they're still some what moist, is this a problem or is this normal?

drebk said:
hrmm... they're not going to be 100% dry are they? after a 1hr warm water soak 12hrs of wearing them later, they're still some what moist, is this a problem or is this normal?

mine were still damp. i just said to hell with it and let them dry over night.

I have heard many myths that taking a hot shower with your boots on Helps them form to the shape of your feet if anyone knows that this works could they please share with us?

Never wore them in the shower, but yes, that idea does help break them in quicker.
Personally I douse them in warm water and walk around in them for an hour or two afterward to assist them in forming to my feet.
It is also a good idea, before putting them on the first time, to rinse them with hot water a couple times. This helps remove the die from the inside (the water turns piss yellow) before your wear them.

Don't apply any polish until after this process, because it'll  decreases ability of the leather to dry.

Just remember, by putting on wet boots, will wet your socks and may cause blisters and other sorts of nasty things, so be wary of when and where you wear them....

Back in Battle School Wainwright (Crse 7708) my initial Cornwallis MkIII's were a little tight so I took my 2 smaller pairs to QM for exchange  (1/2 size larger).  The QM Staff were laughing at me since I had to carry out our annual 2 X 10 milers for the next 2 days.  Starting to sound like a recipe for pain, eh ?  ::)

Well, that night I soaked both new pairs of boots in HOT water and then in the AM, wore a pair of issued black nylon socks next to the skin and then the issued wool socks over the black nylon.  After the first 10 miler (and getting gassed in true Patricia fashipn  :D)  I had no blisters whatsoever.  Life was good.  The next day, I tempted fate by trying the OTHER new pair of boots.... Same results, no blisters.... Man, I wish life was this easy !!

Hey, at least our issued jungle boots in Nicosia did not require as much breaking in !!

Cheers and good karma,

Barney

As soon as I was issued my Mk III's, I bought some Superfeet (Green) hiking insoles from Mountain Equipment Coop in Toronto for $ 24.95.  Life is good.  Then I sent the boot to Bertrand's Boot Repair outside Pet (Pembroke, I believe) for the Vibram sole vulcanizing.  :)

Now I can stand on the ranges or do drill all day long with these combat boots (oh yeah, hike also...)  8)

Cheers,
Barney

Remember how you used to form your Hockey skates when you were a kid?

Same concept. Use a hair dryer, or other source of warmth, and get the leather nice and warm, then lace 'em up real tight, and wear them for awhile, that should form them real good to your foot.

I have a good pair of high-arched Dr. Scholls that suit me fine. I may pick up another pair so  don't have to swap 'em from boot to boot when I cahnge from one pair of boots to the toher... A few days ago in training I was so tired in the morning that I put one insole in befor eputting on a boot, and forgot the other one. Halfway to the mess for food I realized I was only wearning one insole, and that somehow the other had ended up in the pocket of my combat shirt... And I'd wondered why one foot felt weird.

Brihard said:
I have a good pair of high-arched Dr. Scholls that suit me fine. I may pick up another pair so   don't have to swap 'em from boot to boot when I cahnge from one pair of boots to the toher... A few days ago in training I was so tired in the morning that I put one insole in befor eputting on a boot, and forgot the other one. Halfway to the mess for food I realized I was only wearning one insole, and that somehow the other had ended up in the pocket of my combat shirt... And I'd wondered why one foot felt weird.

rofl. sleep f*cked? ahaahhaa

ROFL, yeah, exactly the term we use on my course. I'm trying to avoid using it here though.

Your profile says you're doing SQ and BIQ- same courses as me. Which base are you at? Though odds are slim you're here at Kingston (though it would be bloody hilarious if I was talking to someone from the same course), it would be cool to compare notes...

Superfeet makes custom formed thermo molded insoles to fit your feet. Pricy but they are the cats ass. But who cares about price get "Them" to pick up the tab.

In the Australian Army, boots are a major issue as we are issued crap.

They are heavy and fall apart too quickly... what I would give to be able to wear my old CF issue boots.   We have a major issue with the heal cups not fitting well - they are unlined and have a seam that causes blisters etc.  

I tried to do the hot water trick with my boots, but the waterproofing would not allow that idea.   A friend that I work with suggested to use alcohol.   I took some moonshine out of the liquour   cabinet an dabbed it on until the leather was soaked - strapped them on and wore them - I re-applied at lunch and I was good to go!

I shared this idea (and my moonshine) with my mates on a recruit course and it worked a treat for them as well.

One more idea for the well of information...

Yup, we did our C6 and M67 work this past week as well. We have an exercise in Petawawa, leaving next saturday. WE'll be engaging moving/pop-up targets on the C6, I'e been told, as well as live throwing the M67. Should be a lot of fun.

During BMQ, you're issued combat boots and insoles separately.  You are also given time to try on various sizes to get
the best fit.  The insoles the CF provides do not provide good cushioning but allow the foot to "breathe" better.  Truly,
these boots suck.  Its difficult to get a good fit.  Just get through BMQ as best as you can with them and you'll likely
get issued better boots (my experience after St-Jean) once you go to your training or gaining unit. 

When you get the boots, find the best compromise between a boot that is wide and long enough for comfort,
yet minimizes foot movement when you walk.  Blisters are created when the boot rubs against the foot/heel
or the foot moves against the insole during long marches.  Its not a bad idea to bring a few rolls of medical tape
or wrap, large area band-aids, and second skin just in case.

I used the Spenco Everyday insoles.  Its provides excellent heel cushioning and moderate arch support.  Periods
of marching and short to medium length ruck marches were no problem.  Get and insole with arch support if you
need it and find standing for long periods severely uncomfortable.

Nice aftermarket insoles feel great, but they can be like a sponge in the field.  I would highly reccomend that you do without aftermarket insoles in the early spring and fall as the moisture trapped in them can become a problem when you take them off and they freeze :)  You can get away with it in the summer and in garrison, as the temperature generally isnt a factor.  I prefered the crappy issued insoles and use lots of foot powder.  Just my two cents here.

I complained to a Med O about the issue boots and that they were hurting my feet. This was the same time that I was having surgery to fix compression syndrome in my lower leg. I saw a military foot doctor. He gave me a chit for two pair of boots of my choice.
I now wear Magnum LT's with custom insoles (they made a mold of my foot) and they are so comfortable.

Sometimes the system does work  ;D

YOU B*****D jk

Ive seen many of the reservists at the armouries wearing the wet weather boot is that the new standard ?

Yes Krechowicz. The new WWB is replacing the old Mk.IIIs until the new Temperate combat boot is Designed, and Brought into Supply. So We'll have a Dual-Boot System ;D
(P.S. Thanks for stealing my Cap-Brass picture I scanned a couple years back. Useless Tit Brooks (The Big One) stole it from me.....lazy ***)

yesterday, I bought the Dr Scholl's Gel insoles, and I felt that they didn't have much cushioning at the front of the feet, but the heel is ok. Then I go and buy a Spenco's polysorb today, and I feel that they are better then the gel... more cushioning at the front of the feet... and they also have arch support. Its around $24.99 + Tax.

Back