• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military and Facebook

NSDreamer said:
Hrm, well I think it would be hard to prove that the section commander would do that. If the intent was to call out the member, then he would undoubtably be out of line.

Quite a petty thing to do really. However if he is being sincere I see no problem with it. As it is hard to prove either way, I think it falls in a grey area.

Which is petty, the section commander subtly alerting the members family that the member is using them as an excuse to get out of work? Or the member pulling his name off the job last minute because he doesn't need the money anymore?

Grimaldus said:
Here's an ethical question...

Moral and ethical issue?  Maybe, but the real crime is that either the guy had his privacy settings so wide open anyone in the northern hemisphere could read and comment or that the section commander was his "friend" to begin with.

In regards to the former, if you have your settings open, your profile picture is a hero shot, and all you talk about is work then don't be surprised if your spouse gets a call from Mulah Omar uttering threats.  Heard of OPSEC?  Well there is also a little thing called PERSEC.

Swingline1984 said:
In regards to the former, if you have your settings open, your profile picture is a hero shot, and all you talk about is work then don't be surprised if your spouse gets a call from Mulah Omar uttering threats.  Heard of OPSEC?  Well there is also a little thing called PERSEC.
A few members of my regiment overseas have, for example,

* DND 33 CBGSeptember 2005 to present
      Cpl/driver/rifleman
      Petawawa, Ontario
      *********  attact to 1 RCR

Another I've seen even has her mailing address.

Swingline1984 said:

Thats rather stereotyped. It doesnt neccesarily have to be someone of a foreign persuasion,  I'd expect a call from a local anti-war university student than from someone attached to a beligerent overseas organization. 

Out of curioisity, has anyone on this site ever had someone call their house and make threats to them or their family because of their work overseas?  Does anyone on this site know of anyone else or their family who got called and had threats made?

Greymatters said:
I'd expect a call from a local anti-war university student than from someone attached to a beligerent overseas organization. 

You suggest they are not one in the same  ;)

Back