• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military and Facebook

A warrant will have anywhere from 10, 15, to 20 years of service and will have worked very hard and have been very competitive to have earned his rank.

A 2Lt will have anywhere from 10 weeks to 3 years of service and will have completed BMOQ but is likely not yet even qualified in his trade.

Good point, but still I like to separate NCM's and Officers. I guess I just usually looked at officers as always being higher up than me regardless of time in as even a 2Lt can still be a course officer.

Regardless of the timelines, agent, you pretty well just illustrated what I posted earlier, if you don't have a repertoire with the person, regardless of their rank, then adding them to FB, where they can see intimate details of your life, and you may see theirs, isn't kosher.

I don't just add people for the sake of adding them. Anyone I add from the army is someone I've worked with and know well.

If you know/like/respect/trust them add them. If you don't then, don't. Facebook is private and everyone's personal preference. Being young and still in high school. EVERYDAY I have random morons from around the world it seems adding me with the dumbest motives as well.

Just be careful who your adding on any site. But for the higher ranking members, you have to remember that the younger members have almost had Facebook embedded into their lives. Like i know this sounds sad, but my Fb is how i connect with friends/ plan what I'm doing, keep myself organized etc. And their motive to adding you might simply, having the ability of asking you a question if they need to ; or anything.

canada94 said:
And their motive to adding you might simply, having the ability of asking you a question if they need to ; or anything.

Sounds like a great example of circumventing the chain of command.  My subordinates have my cell and home number should they find themselves in a bind and I sure as hell don't need to see pictures of them being drunk and foolish nor do I want to have to start an investigation over something the Platoon Commander or god forbid the OC saw on their profile.  They have their right to a modicum of privacy and so do I.

Swingline1984 said:
Sounds like a great example of circumventing the chain of command.  My subordinates have my cell and home number should they find themselves in a bind and I sure as hell don't need to see pictures of them being drunk and foolish nor do I want to have to start an investigation over something the Platoon Commander or god forbid the OC saw on their profile.  They have their right to a modicum of privacy and so do I.

I know what your saying, but I was just saying that their intentions on adding you probably don't even cross their mind as/ invading privacy as it is embedded in society, to the young more-so.

canada94 said:
I know what your saying, but I was just saying that their intentions on adding you probably don't even cross their mind as/ invading privacy as it is embedded in society, to the young more-so.

And that's exactly why society is becoming less communicative, because people no longer know how to talk to people face to face, especially about issues that need to be dealt with or questions they need answers for.

Yes, I am sitting in a 2 day class about effective communications right now.

Well I added the Pte now Cpl in question. She didn't even talk to me until she had a question related to work so I think you may have been right. I on the other hand very carefully don't look at her profile heh.

Strike said:
And that's exactly why society is becoming less communicative, because people no longer know how to talk to people face to face, especially about issues that need to be dealt with or questions they need answers for.

Yes, I am sitting in a 2 day class about effective communications right now.

I agree there! Everyone matures differently socially but as society uses alternatives to communicating, face to face communication becomes less frequent. It just depends on the type of person you are as well. Born to two RCMP, I was raised to deal with problems/communication in person. This site is a good example! People ask questions here on this site that they could simply ask their recruiter's in person or over the phone, yet they still choose not to.

As for members adding members on Fb. I truly believe any member that is socially challenged; Will not last long within the Forces. Vocal communication is IMPERATIVE within occupations such as the Forces.

Grimaldus said:
I can't stand facebook, it's retarded how people update EVERYTHING.
I just got my hair cut, I'm reading a book, I just watched a funny commercial.

I only use facebook to keep in touch with army friends from tour and soldiers from my regiment.  As much as I hate it facebook makes keeping in touch with people pretty easy. Good for passing off non secure information about ex's, mess parties, timings etc..

It can backfire though.  I had a friend get an email while he was overseas because an officer at his unit saw his picture on facebook. He was in the field for Op Medusa and unshaven  :eek:
The adj at this guys reserve unit back in Canada wanted the deployed soldier charged..
Also pictures from a mess party were put on facebook on a young soldiers personal page and an officer was snooping and took issue with some pictures he didn't like.

As an officer you'll be under the scope for everything you do, or post.

As long as you're in the military its really not a good idea to post any photos or comments in publicly accessable forums.

And that Adj really has better things to do than to surf Facebook and check up on his troops...   

NSDreamer said:
Well I added the Pte now Cpl in question. She didn't even talk to me until she had a question related to work so I think you may have been right. I on the other hand very carefully don't look at her profile heh.

That right there is a big rule of mine. If someone pass's on information via facebook IRT work they are gone. I have a mix of captain to pte on mine, however we hang out after work etc. However when someone facebook messages me "what are our timings for tomorrow" there gone.

"heh" - what?  It doesn't matter if you looked at her profile - you're facebook pals.  Be prepared to add every pte/cpl from your org to your facebook page or provide an explanation why.  There is an important nuance in what Swingline1984 said above.  What do you think is going to happen when he/she comes to you on a Monday morning with an incident concerning soldier X - and you say, sure I know this person, BTW they're also one of my facebook pals...  :rofl:  You don't think stuff like that doesn't get around or comes out - dreaming.

WRT your other post, respect your troops and don't call them "troopies." IMO as an OCdt you should be just as tired, dirty and hauling kit with them (grunt work you mentioned.)  G'luck. 

cdnleaf said:
WRT your other post, respect your troops and don't call them "troopies." IMO as an OCdt you should be just as tired, dirty and hauling kit with them (grunt work you mentioned.)  G'luck. 

Hrm, I did not mean any disrespect by the term troopies. It's just a term I picked up from other officers I guess, I did not realize it sounded condescending and as such will cease to use it. In regards to tired, dirty and hauling kit with them...yeeeeep.

During my BMQ (co-op) We were not allowed to have any pictures relating to the army. PERIOD. If we did The Platoon WO Somehow found it, and 'talked to us'. A Particular troop didn't show up one day, and updated his facebook status saying how he was s hungover, and wasn't going to work today, the WO found it, and buddy was on his way out of the military very soon after. So keep it professional.  As mentioned before, if I don't feel comfortable going up to the member and having a drink with after in the mess, then i really shouldn't be having them on facebook.

by the way, i don't see troopies as disrespectful at all.

Troopie's,,,,, Troopie's. Were not your Tin Soldier's. We are your TROOP'S.
As far as Facebook. If you think that network is secure with your personal
info think again. Facebook is a Social Network. Enphasis on Social. Depend-
ing on your privacy setting's you can and have been compromised. This is
in regard's to the cake **** that phished/spammed 560,000 member's on
facebook and was fined 600 U.S. for each member he phished/spammed.
That was just on the new's Global T.V. BC a day ago..Regard's our Cavalry
cousin's the R.C.M.P all they is is reasonable. Including email ect that was
just passed.
Next time your down-town look around,, vid cam's in bank's,,, street corner's
alley's, apt building's, Mall's,washroom's,,,ect Big Brother has allway's been
there like since the 50's...
Anyway be careful what you put out there.
Just my 2C.
Scoty B

Wow.  I have a box of tin foil with which you can fashion a wonderful hat if you like.

To Whom it may Concern. Regard's the "Tin-Foil" comment that was to WHO.
Your response please Capt "tin foil" kitty kat? And the post and the person
your replying too. Like I'am doing. Or are you a P**** cat.
Scoty B

Great example Brandon.  I know of a soldier who was on "half days" for medical stress leave but was commenting about the second job they were going to during the other half day period on facebook and got caught that way.

Here's ethical question- Is this inappropriate of a section commander.

A reservist  with a driver qualification commits himself to going on advance party for an ex and driving one of the vehicles up to base.  4 days before the exercise the member informs his section commander that he isn't going on the ex and doesn't want any more work because he received an offer for the reg force and leaves in a month or two.
The section commander says that's garbage. There isn't anyone else available that weekend to drive the vehicle he said he would drive and he (the member) received a LOT of work and taskings over the last year or two from the unit and should at least make it out for one last weekend, especially because he is needed.

The member caves in and says he'll go.  The night before the ex the member turns around and tells his section commander that his dad has X wrong with him and the member needs to take him back and forth to the hospital every day, no one else is available.

Member doesn't go on the ex, after some effort and a few headaches a driver is found.

After the ex the section commander logs into his facebook and notices some posts by the member about unrelated things. He goes to the members profile and leaves a public message.

"The ex went well, sorry you couldn't make it.  Don't worry the chain of command knows you couldn't make it out because a family member was hospitalized, how are they by the way? Still in the hospital? If you need anything let me know".

Now you can suggest the section  commander was just checking in on one of his soldiers however the section commander made it public with the full intention of calling out the soldier's excuse.

Hrm, well I think it would be hard to prove that the section commander would do that. If the intent was to call out the member, then he would undoubtably be out of line.

Quite a petty thing to do really. However if he is being sincere I see no problem with it. As it is hard to prove either way, I think it falls in a grey area.

Back