• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Malaysia Airliner Disappearance

I'm not going to pretend to be an  expert but having watched just about every episode of Mayday, sudden catastrophic failures are possible. They all seem to be generally related to an underlying progressive failure that goes undetected due to poor maintenance/repair/inspection practices and with older aircraft

Hard to believe though this would be the case for a 777 though

However the Daily Mail says the missing plane had a ground collision 2 years ago ....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2576353/Malaysian-Airlines-Boeing-777-centre-crash-probe-collided-plane-two-years-ago-breaking-wingtip.html

Crowdsourcing the search for MH370.

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014?source=abc

Latest word today is that Malaysian military radar had tracked the flight some 700 miles west of it's intended course, towards or over the Strait of Malacca.

Update: Apparently the Malaysian Air Force is disputing this claim now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-not-tracked-to-malacca-air-force-1.2567697

My Malaysian wife thinks that Malaysian incompetence happened both in the air and by the people tracking aircraft and now the government is running in circles to try to cover that incompetence up. She says that pictures of the pilots with blonds in the cockpit during flights and landings are floating around the net.

Colin P said:
My Malaysian wife thinks that Malaysian incompetence happened both in the air and by the people tracking aircraft and now the government is running in circles to try to cover that incompetence up. She says that pictures of the pilots with blonds in the cockpit during flights and landings are floating around the net.

From a news article (emphasis mine):

An Australian TV station reported that the first officer on the missing plane, Fariq Abdul Hamid, had invited two women into the cockpit during a flight two years ago.

The FAA has sent experts to help with the radar tracks.If it was terrorism they sure picked the right country. ::)

I'm watching CNN which is broadcasting a Chinese satellite image from Sunday showing large objects in the water along the flight track.

There is now a report that "Interpol and Malaysian officials are looking at a 35 year-old Uighur passenger on missing flight MH370. The suspect passenger had previously taken flight simulation training in 2006. The man has a PHD from a university in Britain and is an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, at a Turkish university ... Ethnic Muslim Uighurs from western China have been responsible for several terror attacks in China. Earlier this month the Uighurs, who make up 45 percent of the population of Xinjiang, were blamed for a violent attack at a Chinese train station."

tomahawk6 said:
The big mystery is why there hasnt been any wreckage found.
I know this may sound implausible but what if the airliner were flown to Somalia? There would be no wreckage. The 777 does have the range. Somalia has little to no government to speak of. The pirates have stolen ships right out of major ports before.

Airliners don't just disappear without a trace these days. There's been no ELT and no Ditching beacon. There are tonnes of resources combing that area yet they have nothing. Whenever you rule out the probable the remaining implausible is most likely.

No one wants to say terrorist attack. People panic and lose their minds. 300 million dollar jetliners with 400 passengers don't "disappear".  A plane hitting something at 400 mph doesn't leave a hell of a lot.

Nemo888 said:
No one wants to say terrorist attack. People panic and lose their minds. 300 million dollar jetliners with 400 passengers don't "disappear".  A plane hitting something at 400 mph doesn't leave a hell of a lot.

Actually, a jet hitting the water does make a huge mess. The debris field would usually consist of seat cushions, PFDs, personal items, bodies, structural components (especially with modern materials). When an airliner hits the water at a high rate of speed it literal explodes.

Unless you believe in aliens the only two options left are that the jet flew well beyond the current search area or it landed somewhere. There is some evidence that the engines transmitted their sensor data for another 4 hours beyond the time they lost radar contact.

The plot thickens....

AirDet said:
....... There is some evidence that the engines transmitted their sensor data for another 4 hours beyond the time they lost radar contact.

The plot thickens....

Some reports that this is a fact.  Some reports saying it is not so.

Whatever.  What is the range of the aircraft within a 4 hour window, flying at a low altitude "in the grass"?

4 hours at 480 Knots. That would make it 2200 miles.

I was just reading a few other reports that it's now looking like the aircraft systems continued to report for up to 5 hours. Not once did they report a system failure which is exactly what you would expect in a crash.

There's definitely something else going on here. It'll be interesting when they finally solve this mystery.

AirDet said:
Actually, a jet hitting the water does make a huge mess. The debris field would usually consist of seat cushions, PFDs, personal items, bodies, structural components (especially with modern materials). When an airliner hits the water at a high rate of speed it literal explodes.

Unless you believe in aliens the only two options left are that the jet flew well beyond the current search area or it landed somewhere. There is some evidence that the engines transmitted their sensor data for another 4 hours beyond the time they lost radar contact.

The plot thickens....

Thanks. I'm driving from now on  :eek:

daftandbarmy said:
Thanks. I'm driving from now on  :eek:

Conspiracy  theorists will have a field day with this so here is mine:

The Russians took it to divert attention away from Crimea.

Pass the tin foil please.

Jim Seggie said:
Conspiracy  theorists will have a field day with this so here is mine:

The Russians took it to divert attention away from Crimea.

Pass the tin foil please.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

AirDet said:

The plot thickens....

Hell, the surface tension of water is like concrete even when you dive in off the 10m platform a little wonky.

My theory is that they know where the plane is, but are having to make negotiations and payments before they'll admit they fudged the entire search and rescue mission and tell the real story.

I say North Korean stealth jets forced it below the radar, and it's sitting under cam nets on some abandoned airfield in NK.  Hey, as good a theory as any, remember if you don't hear a good rumour before noon, start one.

Kat Stevens said:
I say North Korean stealth jets forced it below the radar, and it's sitting under cam nets on some abandoned airfield in NK.  Hey, as good a theory as any, remember if you don't hear a good rumour before noon, start one.
It was them ruskkies I tell ya!

Good one though!

Back