• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leopard 2 Pictures

I don't know if this question been asked ; does the direction of the V marking on the side of the Leopard  mean anything ? Thanks

Irondukes57, thanks for posting those.  Interestingly, I was just looking at the same pictures on a different forum.  And thanked the poster there as well.....

Those tanks look great driving/sitting around....

Lets see some pics of them shooting the crap out of something already !!!!

CDN Aviator said:
Those tanks look great driving/sitting around....

Lets see some pics of them shooting the crap out of something already !!!!

I second that... I wanna see things go BOOOOOM!!!

stollhofen said:
I don't know if this question been asked ; does the direction of the V marking on the side of the Leopard  mean anything ? Thanks

"THIS SIDE UP"

Sorry guys, I just had too.

I have a few questions about our Leopards over there, Irondukes57 you could probably answer them best.(I wear blue so im not up to date on all the army stuff). What are the brown steal cage like things on the new tanks? I've seen them on US tanks in Iraq, the only think I can think they are for is to pre detonate an RPG or something and to hang kit on. And why don’t the older Leopards they have it? Now that the new tanks have arrived are the older ones being sent home or are you guys just going to keep them for the extra firepower?
Thanks, keep up the good work over there  :cdn:

Thanks, but I think there are probably people here who know much more. I am just an interested german civilian which never saw an Tank in RL.

Regarding your first question yes you are right. This so called "Slat Armor" should stop/destroy/deflect RPG´s/hollowcharge warhead´s. Regarding the rest of your question´s someone else can probably answer them better then me.

Regards,
ironduke57

Johnny,
No one here will tell you what we plan to do with any of our Leos in Afghanistan - OPSEC

Slat armour for the Leo C2s - we deployed em with now bolt on armour kit - +/- same stuff as used on the Leo2s we've just gotten - we weren't there yet.

Will we get slat armour for our LAVs, TLAVs and Leos.... probably.  RPGs & VBIEDs are a constant threat.  They have proven themselves in Iraq.  I'd say it's only a matter of time.

No pic´s and not canadian, but IMO worth showing.

Danish Leo2´s in Helmand (Vid):
- http://www.forsvarskanalen.dk/fmc.aspx?bhcp=1 (click on "Kampvogne klar i Helmand")

Regards,
ironduke57

OK, nice tank, but the real gem here is that plane. I can't believe those things still fly. I like the pilot's pose too.

Southern Boy said:
OK, nice tank, but the real gem here is that plane. I can't believe those things still fly. I like the pilot's pose too.
Why shouldn´t they? The AN-124-100 is again in production. I would be happy if my country would buy some of the new An-124-100M-150 or better An-124-300.

Regards,
ironduke57

New pic´s from MP.net:

rtxbfrup1.jpg

rtxbfpbb0.jpg

rtxbhcpn8.jpg

37705689pc2.jpg

--------------------------------
And here an German TV-report about Canadian Armed Forces around Kandahar, including Leopard 2 "show-of-force".
- http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/content/Reportage_aus_dem_Sueden_Afghanistans/Sendungen_H,228/359838 (German)
(If you just get some german text you have to allow popups.)

Short summary of the report:
A report of the situation in the south of Afghanistan, how dangerous the situation there is, what the canadian soldiers think on their mission to secure the area and to prevent the taleban from bringing in any more reinforcements through the pakistani border (one reported , that he is already 2 months in Afghanistan and already had 30 rocket attacks, another told that securing the workers who were building the 3km road shown there, already cost the lives of more than 20 canadians, a friend of him was shot in the head, survived, but will never be able to speak again, the guy in front of the Leo 2 told the reporters that his tank already killed 2 taleban). The reporter in Kandahar at the end told that the Canadians said that the situation is turning from bad to worse and backup from their allies is much needed, but other nations (including Germany) are refusing the request for reinforcements.
(Done by evil-twin from MP.net)

Regards,
ironduke57

Ironduke57
Glad to see that MsM in Germany is doing a nice hatchet job on the conditions in Kandahar & all of southern Afghanistan -  how things are getting from bad to worse...

- In my local paper this morning, they had an article that was describing the opening of a new luxury highrise appartment building (escalators & all) opening up in Kandahar City.  Occupied by all sorts of Afghan repats..... sooo..... things must be real insecure if they felt safe enough to build & occupy such a residence

And then geo, it may be that reporters way of "shaming" European members to take a more active role to assist their Canadian allies to the south........Look at the activism some of our reporters are displaying in our Press and their articles proposing the big pullout from Afghanistan.  Remember, many members of the Press are biased and will choose one side or the other.  There are very few who have mastered the "unbiased" approach to the News.  We have examples of that here, with our Blachfords and our Martins providing opposing views.

Everybody has a bias, the professional thing is to acknowledge the fact and do your best to present as objective a report as possible.
PBS in the states does this by offering equal time to all viewpoints.
The value of a forum such as Army.ca is to allow members  to hear opinion from all sides of an argument.

What's so new about these versions?

I like them, they look much smaller, they must be quicker eh? I find the colours are horrible for them in Afghanistan, try a new colour.

Beals, have you read any of this thread or the other threads about the new Leopard 2s? Might be a good idea to get acquainted with the vehicles you're talking about instead of just making broad generalizations like "the colours are horrible" or "the look much smaller." Again, read up before commenting.

Beals said:
What's so new about these versions?

I like them, they look much smaller, they must be quicker eh? I find the colours are horrible for them in Afghanistan, try a new colour.

Yeah because it's all about the colour there.  ::) Ok i'll pass on your suggestions to the CDS immediately, and your rank  and/or years of service in the armoured corps are again?

Back