• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

I don't believe it's anti-imperialism. The last time it was supported because of the ''we're here to hep''. Once, yes, twice, yes third time...come on is more the feeling.
I'm sure that's a factor in the disapproval of such a prospect, but I reckon it is as applicable to Quebeccers as it is to other Canadians, and thus does not serve to explain the difference.

I'm sure that's a factor in the disapproval of such a prospect, but I reckon it is as applicable to Quebeccers as it is to other Canadians, and thus does not serve to explain the difference.
I did not pointed out a difference, I just add beef around you comment on Quebecers.

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.gif

I suspect that many more Canadians are awaking from the haze of ‘Peace Dividend’.

The reality of the actions of several hostile to Canada (other Western countries) is hard to avoid or ignore these days.

You underestimate Canada's ability to put its head in the sand and wail when they find out we have to spend money on killing machines.

I suspect that many more Canadians are awaking from the haze of ‘Peace Dividend’.

The reality of the actions of several hostile to Canada (other Western countries) is hard to avoid or ignore these days.
Is it a case of the public being head of the government in this case? I do believe the "average" Canadian understands the danger of China/CCP more than official Ottawa.

The average Canadian is pissed that their mobile Starbucks order got messed up by that overworked teenager again....
Ok ok. But I do feel there is an undercurrent in Canada with regards to China. Its not something I have seen before. People I talk to say they have taken our jobs and we buy their crap....and now they are buying us. Living in a manufacturing city this has been felt more deeply.

And when I say average Canadian, I guess my standard is now skewed. I grew up with the "average Canadian" is the CAW (now Unifor) line worker on shift work. But I guess in reality that's not the case anymore. That worker is now old, male and mostly white. But new Canadian are now in there too. Their takes on current affairs are fun and different.

Is it a case of the public being head of the government in this case? I do believe the "average" Canadian understands the danger of China/CCP more than official Ottawa.
I would reckon that the average Canadian knows about existential threats to our security. The problem is we have three things that have hobbled our attitudes towards defence since at least 1604:

-Colonial mindset
-Geography
-Economy

Firstly, we have historically depended on others for our own defence. That's everyone from the French, to the British, to the U.S. and NATO. We like to toot our own horn about 1812, Vimy, and Normandy, but forget that we got our asses kicked on our home turf by a bunch of Fenian raiders in 1866. We have had difficulty policing our own waterways and airspace. We haven't see an attack on our cities since York was burned in 1813. Since Confederation, it's been someone else backstopping our own defence. This has led to a complacent attitude within the population and thus in government.

Secondly, geography has meant war is a far off thing that we show up to, never having to play a Home game. Our placement across 2 oceans from our major adversaries has meant its highly unlikely we will be attacked; especially when wehave our most powerful and peaceful partner right next door. What has also played to that mentality is how vast a country we are. Walt Natynczyk once scoffed at a Russian invasion of Canada by saying we'd have to send SAR to save any invaders from freezing to death. The belief we are untouchable because of our size and distance has meant its not considered a likely CoA that China or Russia will be landing Divisions on our soil. Where this falls down is the use of missiles and aircraft, and the "then what?" That happens.

Finally, our economy is almost unscathed by conflict around d the world. Our resources and products are needed around the world, so global stability is good for business; but when your largest trading partner is next door and you are not required to secure your GLOCs or shipping lanes along the coasts, you're sitting pretty. The world could be burning in Europe or Asia, but USMCA will mean our products get to a market.

These things have allowed Canada to sluff off defence and create the social safety net we boast highly about to anyone who will listen. The problem is when you get places like the Nordic countries who manage to have both, and better quality of each. The difference is that the Finns, Swedes, and Norwegians don't have geography on their side. They have needed to get it right the first time and make sure the quality of life their citizens enjoy is protected.

Canada just waits for someone else to do it and plays Grasshopper to the Ants.

I would reckon that the average Canadian knows about existential threats to our security. The problem is we have three things that have hobbled our attitudes towards defence since at least 1604:

-Colonial mindset
-Geography
-Economy

Firstly, we have historically depended on others for our own defence. That's everyone from the French, to the British, to the U.S. and NATO. We like to toot our own horn about 1812, Vimy, and Normandy, but forget that we got our asses kicked on our home turf by a bunch of Fenian raiders in 1866. We have had difficulty policing our own waterways and airspace. We haven't see an attack on our cities since York was burned in 1813. Since Confederation, it's been someone else backstopping our own defence. This has led to a complacent attitude within the population and thus in government.

Secondly, geography has meant war is a far off thing that we show up to, never having to play a Home game. Our placement across 2 oceans from our major adversaries has meant its highly unlikely we will be attacked; especially when wehave our most powerful and peaceful partner right next door. What has also played to that mentality is how vast a country we are. Walt Natynczyk once scoffed at a Russian invasion of Canada by saying we'd have to send SAR to save any invaders from freezing to death. The belief we are untouchable because of our size and distance has meant its not considered a likely CoA that China or Russia will be landing Divisions on our soil. Where this falls down is the use of missiles and aircraft, and the "then what?" That happens.

Finally, our economy is almost unscathed by conflict around d the world. Our resources and products are needed around the world, so global stability is good for business; but when your largest trading partner is next door and you are not required to secure your GLOCs or shipping lanes along the coasts, you're sitting pretty. The world could be burning in Europe or Asia, but USMCA will mean our products get to a market.

These things have allowed Canada to sluff off defence and create the social safety net we boast highly about to anyone who will listen. The problem is when you get places like the Nordic countries who manage to have both, and better quality of each. The difference is that the Finns, Swedes, and Norwegians don't have geography on their side. They have needed to get it right the first time and make sure the quality of life their citizens enjoy is protected.

You are 100 percent. I agree.

I was just referring to the poll above. And that in this case the public may be ahead of the Ottawa or more so the liberal party on this. They see the threat and are wondering why the PM doesn't.

I say that poll if worded like "will you pay more in taxes for defence?" it would be very different outcome.

Except for the U-Boats in the Gulf of St Lawrence mid WWII. We were on our own (AFAIK) and the Germans had a good go at us. But NOBODY in Canada remembers this.
People used to remember, but the people who were old enough to be scared, or fight in that war are pretty much all long gone. Then we had governments since 1991 working to convince us that that war wasn't a thing anymore, so there was no need to prepare for it.

-Colonial mindset
-Geography
-Economy

An excellent analysis!

I don’t think the average Canadian understands any of the current or likely future dangers to Canada and our way of life.

The average Canadian doesn’t seem to understand the danger some of our own political parties and there spokespersons represent (I refrain from using the words “politics” and “leaders” in a joined manner) so it seems a stretch they understand anything related to the CCP as well.

I don’t think the average Canadian understands any of the current or likely future dangers to Canada and our way of life.

The average Canadian doesn’t seem to understand the danger some of our own political parties and there spokespersons represent (I refrain from using the words “politics” and “leaders” in a joined manner) so it seems a stretch they understand anything related to the CCP as well.
I'm not so sure. I think there is a greater understanding. Maybe it's just more of a feeling. But something has changed.

Fyi just texting to my clueless sister just before type this. Her son is job hunting as he has just graduated Queens...she tells me he applied to Volvo to work in their advanced VR lab. So asked which one? Volvo Cars or Volvo AB.....she then just texted back "not cars they're Chinese! She didn't want her son to work for a Chinese company.

FYI....Ford sold Volvo Cars to Chinese maker Chery over 1o years ago. Volvo AB is still Swedish. They make trucks, busses and engines etc. They still have a manufacturing footprint in Canada.

Back