• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is there a traditional Canadian Air Force drink?

lstpierre

Inactive
Reaction score
Our unit is doing an event with an army unit, and we want to treat them to a traditional RCAF drink. As an example, the traditional drink for RCR (I believe) is drambuie. Does the air force have anything like this?

lstpierre said:
Our unit is doing an event with an army unit, and we want to treat them to a traditional RCAF drink. As an example, the traditional drink for RCR (I believe) is drambuie. Does the air force have anything like this?

Drambuie is not a "traditional RCR drink." The only regimentally acknowledged drink is the Ortona Toast, a regimental toast made of rum, water and sugar.

Moosemilk?

Is there anything Moosemilk can't do?

Occam said:
Moosemilk?

Is there anything Moosemilk can't do?

Yes, Moosemilk is it!

RCAF - Customs and Traditions (scroll down to Moosemilk)
Moose Milk

There are many recipes for this uniquely Canadian drink but almost all call for rum - and lots of it. Some also include brandy. Add some coffee liqueur as well - all to a milk, cream and vanilla ice cream base with some sugar and a little nutmeg to enhance the flavour. Go to any Christmas celebration at an air wing in Canada and somebody will have mixed up a barrel of this memorable Air Force concoction.

The generally accepted "official" recipe for Moose Milk, dating back to the mid WWII period at RCAF Station Borden.  It claimed that one of the mess' bartenders, a Flight Sergeant Jack “Pony” Moore, concoted the mixture on the instructions of the Base CO for guests to "have a good time."  A couple of 40-pounders (Dark Rum and Canadian Rye) providing the kick makes it a rather enjoyable drink.  Some substitutions include a brick of ice cream in place of the whipping cream.
(Photo recipe credit: www.badenremembered.com) 
rcaf_moosemilk.jpg

Tango2Bravo said:
Shirley Temple seems to ring a bell for the RCAF.
Damn, I was just about to type "Shirley Temple -- with extra grenadine for those 'manly' fighter pilots"  ;D

Tango2Bravo said:
Shirley Temple seems to ring a bell for the RCAF.

>:D

Why, I oughta... 

;D

Go to any Christmas celebration at an air wing in Canada and somebody will have mixed up a barrel of this memorable Air Force concoction.

Hrrrrmph.  Reason #1,383,201 to not like ADM(IM) - "They're not a Wing".

lstpierre said:

If it's pink and has an umbrella in it, you're probably on the right track.

Redeye said:
If it's pink and has an umbrella in it, you're probably on the right track.

Redeye, you forgot "fruit" in that list of critical elements of a fighter pilot's drink.  ;)

lstpierre said:
Sorry, couldn't resist...Wine??...as in wahhhh!!
I guess we aren't helping much!
I must say that the recipe for Moose Milk is most DEFINATELY NOT the Navy RCN version!..no ice cream!

Ice cream is for amateurs, the chilled whipping cream is the proper way. 

Some folks are okay with cutting corners on quality and presentation, I suppose.  That's why you RCN guys whould stick with pounding back straight rum.  :nod:

Cheers
G2G

If you want a fighter pilot drink, why not Afterburners?

Sambouca shot held in the mouth, tip the head back, light it and sprinkle cinnamon over the flame.  The trick is to push the liquid in the mouth up with your tongue and also make sure you have wiped your face of any stray liquor, otherwise you risk some pretty nice burns!  ;D

Ahhh, memories of Moose Jaw...or the lack of them.

Though not a drink Blue angels can be an interesting accompaniment to the above

One of those "Dont try This at home kids" stunts  >:D

Kalatzi said:
Though not a drink Blue angels can be an interesting accompaniment to the above

One of those "Dont try This at home kids" stunts  >:D

At the same time?  Now THAT would be interesting.  ;D

Michael O'Leary said:
Drambuie is not a "traditional RCR drink." The only regimentally acknowledged drink is the Ortona Toast, a regimental toast made of rum, water and sugar.
originally with the "issue" dark (er) (est) rum..........Yummy.

Michael, I noticed a little typo on your site.
...... "with the same field expedient served at Ortona Crossroads; a mixture of run, water and sugar consumed from a white china mug."

Or was that intentional. ;D
:cheers:

Back