• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

glotto99 said:
Are you kidding me? ACU. Is the Army Combat Uniform, there is no other name for it. You idiots would probably argue if I told you Jesus was a Jew.

Wow, you are really getting work up over this?

Yes, ACU is Army Combat Uniform no one is saying otherwise, but that's us calling our field uniform Combats.  UCP is the actual name of the pattern.

Thanks for calling me an idiot though, always good to throw that out once in awhile when you are trying to make a point.

And yes, I agree that Jesus was a Jew.

I guess you should email  US Army PEO Soldier, and call them idiots as well for saying ACU is just the name of the uniform and not the camo pattern which they call UCP.

The Army Combat Uniform (ACU) consists of a jacket and trousers in the Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP).
https://peosoldier.army.mil/newpeo/Equipment/saas/default.asp

Not true because before ACU, there was BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) and the DCU (Desert Camouflage Uniform). The name changes with the Uniform. When the official U.S Army uniform changes so will the name.

glotto99 said:
Not true because before ACU, there was BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) and the DCU (Desert Camouflage Uniform). The name changes with the Uniform. When the official U.S Army uniform changes so will the name.

Edited my above post to show a better quote, but here is is again and another talking about Multicam

https://peosoldier.army.mil/newpeo/Equipment/saas/default.asp
The Army Combat Uniform (ACU) consists of a jacket and trousers in the Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP)

OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM FIRE RESISTANT ARMY COMBAT UNIFORM (OEF FR ACU)

The Operation Enduring Freedom Fire Resistant Army Combat Uniform (OEF FR ACU), which uses the MultiCam camouflage pattern, will provide concealment for the Soldier operating in Afghanistan’s multiple-terrain environment.

The MultiCam FR ACU will include several upgrades identified for incorporation into the FR ACU in UCP

Yes in the past the US had different names for their woodland and desert uniforms(BDU and DCU) but because they did it in the past doesn't mean they will do in the present and future.

There still is only one ACU, The ACU that is not in UCP is called the OEF ACU, or the MultiCam ACU. Meaning that when I say ACU I'm referring to one uniform and one uniform only.

Stop feeding the troll and he will either go away, starve, or eat his young

Just saying.....

glotto99 said:
...when I say ACU I'm referring to one uniform and one uniform only.

The UCP one, or the OEF FR one?

MrBlue said:
Does anyone have any news on if the boot will have more then one manufacturer or what manufacturer?  Are we stuck with pouliot/boulet and that P.O.S  :facepalm:

I was in a meeting today and the topic of the new boot came up.

Here was the "update" provided:

We are getting 120,000 pairs of these boots with a user acceptance trial being conducted now that ends sometime in Nov 11.  It is then expected that the contract will be awarded about the end of 2011 with the first boots showing up late in the spring of 2012. 

This is a huge project... estimated at 38.4 million dollars.  We will get a new boot that has been made from lessons learned (from both the operational and medical communities).  It will be brown with an IR coating of some sort.  The good news is that it will be lighter.  The operational life of the boot is estimated to be 180 days. 

That is all that was said... any other input from me would only be personal opinion (and I really do not have one... on this topic  ;D)

MC 

Redeye said:
Wait for it...

I know the PLF has crates of regimental ascots still lying around waiting to go back into service.

Based on my past experiences with them I'm not surprised in the slightest. Are they stored next to the crates of Pith Helmets, Officer's swagger sticks, knee high puttees and fake Brit public school accents ( subalterns for the use of).  8)

Actually I have a Duck Hunters jacket and a PPCLI Officers swagger stick collecting dust at home! Soon I will be able to add some digital green combats! I love the Army!!

MedCorps said:
This is a huge project... estimated at 38.4 million dollars. 

Every proponent of a boot allowance just collectively gritted their teeth :facepalm:

MedCorps said:
The operational life of the boot is estimated to be 180 days. 

So what does that mean...?  It magically pumpkins at Day 181?

Dimsum said:
So what does that mean...?  It magically pumpkins at Day 181?
I suspect it means that for all deployments in excess of 180 days, the supply system can expect to have to stock and issue additional boots for each soldier in theatre.

You're airforce, aren't you?    ;)

Journeyman said:
I suspect it means that for all deployments in excess of 180 days, the supply system can expect to have to stock and issue additional boots for each soldier in theatre.

You're airforce, aren't you?    ;)

and I suspect that at 181 days people will either have to begin gun taping the boots together or their toes will stick out the ends like 1950's cartoon hobos.

I am army and I do not trust defence procurement.

Snaketnk said:
Unfortunately, his opionion is shared by a lot of people I know; the majority of the Pte/Cpls I know actually. It has less to do with people being anal and everyone from the rank of sargeant up treating us like children most of the time. Some of the most hardcore "I love the army!" types are VR-ing so they can go work in mines because they're tired of being degraded. There's the feeling that initiative is unwelcome, that questions aren't tolerated, you're ineffective without supervision, and thinking for yourself is a waste of time. It's totally off topic but I agree with him for the most part. We've had sections where 8/10 people have VR'd/not renewed their contracts in the last year or so.

As for the ICU, I'm not a fan of zippers, but we'll see. There's a few features I'm looking forward to, especially the new shoulder design.

Sad to say but this is an accurate observation. In all honesty my G.A.F.F. is currently 0 and has been for a while. I have attempted to offer input into some things (I know when this is good, and when its good to obey rank) and I was chastized. I guess there are some Sgt.s out there who are jealous of someone with post secondary education. I am currently attempting to OT to another trade or get out altogether, I understand that experience speaks alot....but we are in the 21st century and not the British styled army of the early 20th century. Advice, constructive input, and suggestions are not always a bad thing.....I am just a Corporal so what do I know.

klink1983 said:
Advice, constructive input, and suggestions are not always a bad thing.....

Of course they are not a bad thing. That being said, it doesn't mean they are good suggestions............

Towards_the_gap said:
and I suspect that at 181 days people will either have to begin gun taping the boots together or their toes will stick out the ends like 1950's cartoon hobos.

I am army and I do not trust defence procurement.

You're giving lowest bidder contracting credit. 160 days the laces rip. 170 days the leather hardens. 180 days the sole falls off the boot and cannot be reattached as the leather has turned to dust.

ballz said:
Every proponent of a boot allowance just collectively gritted their teeth :facepalm:

They (Every proponent), actually didn't believe for one minute that the system would really consider to allow them to buy footwear that they like, provide good value for money and works.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

jollyjacktar said:
They (Every proponent), actually didn't believe for one minute that the system would really consider to allow them to buy footwear that they like, provide good value for money and works.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

but you don't have to put out the last little flicker of hope left in us ;D

Back