• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hybrid Electric Vehicles

Unfortunately if you are trying to charge say a Lighting pickup with the larger battery pack on a 110V outlet it will take a week literally to fully charge it. There are a couple of people on Youtube showing this exact situation.

If you want a Level 2 charger but you have say an electric range, A/C in your house and an electric dryer there is no way you can run all these things on a 100 amp service. Last year Saskatoon released a study they did on the feasibility of installing Level 2 chargers in most city houses and found it would be impossible. The transformers and power cables were sized such that only 3 houses per block or 2 blocks( I can't remember which) could have 200A services installed before the infrastructure would be maxed out. I can't find a link to the study right now but I would think that this would be the case in most cities. In the older neighborhood I live in the wires are still overhead so they could be changed at very high cost but the newer areas where everything is underground I don't think it would possible.
My brother in Edmonton has run into this exact scenario with his new Tesla. They cannot upgrade their service to 200A, because the neighbourhood is maxed out. The solution was to run the charger off his kitchen stove circuit. It is set up in such a way that the stove has preference. When they are cooking, no power goes to the charger.

So in classic Canadian foresight we are mandating all cars to be electric by 2035 but we have done nothing (or next to nothing) to upgrade the electric service and bring more power sources (nuclear, hydroelectric) on line.

We are soooo fubard.
Not "We". Trudeau and his zealots. "We" only because some citizens voted for his malarky. Of course China's carbon emissions of 30% of the world stays in China, while Canada's carbon emissions of 1.89 % are destroying the world.

So in classic Canadian foresight we are mandating all cars to be electric by 2035 but we have done nothing (or next to nothing) to upgrade the electric service and bring more power sources (nuclear, hydroelectric) on line.
Creating demand without worrying about supply is what governments do: health care, dental care, daycare, conversion from fossil fuels to other sources.

My brother in Edmonton has run into this exact scenario with his new Tesla. They cannot upgrade their service to 200A, because the neighbourhood is maxed out. The solution was to run the charger off his kitchen stove circuit. It is set up in such a way that the stove has preference. When they are cooking, no power goes to the charger.
That's an interesting solution to the problem but one that may leave you in a bit of a pickle. Say your Tesla isn't charged and you throw a turkey in the oven for Thanksgiving dinner(6-7 hrs cooking time) and then you notice that you need a jar of pickles to complete the meal, what now? :D

Not "We". Trudeau and his zealots. "We" only because some citizens voted for his malarky. Of course China's carbon emissions of 30% of the world stays in China, while Canada's carbon emissions of 1.89 % are destroying the world.
Starting with his Environment "Minister" who is an eco zealot as long as it doesn't Impact on his standard of living.

As an aside the senior officials of dictatorships behave the way the Eco Zealot is - telling the masses "this is good for you peasants" while living high off the hog.
Let them eat cake indeed.

That's an interesting solution to the problem but one that may leave you in a bit of a pickle. Say your Tesla isn't charged and you throw a turkey in the oven for Thanksgiving dinner(6-7 hrs cooking time) and then you notice that you need a jar of pickles to complete the meal, what now? :D
Well, in the case that I am familiar with, you take the ICE SUV to the store…

BTW, unlike the feds, I am not advocating for or against electric vehicles. My belief is that consumers should be free to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, realizing that there are externalities, no matter what you drive…

It only follows that if IC vehicles are banned, we'll be mandated to spend 100s of 1000s of dollars each to install and maintain solar farms in our yard. Because if we give away enough money, we can change the weather. Or something.

Wasn't there a king who commanded his people to place his throne at the edge of the ocean so he could command the tides to stop?

Wasn't there a king who commanded his people to place his throne at the edge of the ocean so he could command the tides to stop?

Doesn't the synonym rhyme with Regina?

It will take time but some people may figure it out......its not about EVs it about nailing you down..

Work from home , EV then 15 minute cities.....

Back to the days when people lived and died within the sound of the village church bell.

Back to the days when people lived and died within the sound of the village church bell.

At least in those days we had wandering Tinkers to fix our pots and pans and sharpen our knives and Spanish guys on bicycles delivering onions.

That's an interesting solution to the problem but one that may leave you in a bit of a pickle. Say your Tesla isn't charged and you throw a turkey in the oven for Thanksgiving dinner (6-7 hrs cooking time) and then you notice that you need a jar of pickles to complete the meal, what now? :D
Agree with most of this but ...

Who in the hell is cooking a turkey that big or for that long that requires 6-7 hours in the oven?! You're either cooking an ostrich or turning the thing into jerky.

Who in the hell is cooking a turkey that big or for that long that requires 6-7 hours in the oven?! You're either cooking an ostrich or turning the thing into jerky.
an 18 pound turkey requires a minimum of 5 but usually closer to 6 hours to cook. If it is stuffed tightly, you can add another 1.5 at a guess so 7 hours isn't all that out of line nor is a 20 pound bird an extraordinary size.

The turkeys we raised on our farm were 35-38# live weight and around 30# ready for the oven. They weren't anything like the tiny ones I see in the grocery store. 6-7 hrs was on the low side.

All that water... not very enviro-friendly it seems ;)

Motor Mouth: The scary business of putting out an EV fire

I now know more about fire engines than I ever thought would be necessary. For instance, did you know fire trucks and fire engines are not the same thing? An engine, as it turns out, is the vehicle that carries and pumps the water; a “truck,” on the other hand carries hardware, emergency gear, and perhaps the ladders required to reach the upper floors of tall buildings, but no water.

I also know, mainly because I couldn’t believe the numbers that I am going to spring on you, that fire engines generally hold between 500 and 1,500 gallons of water. The norm is about 750 gallons, but let’s be generous — and also avoid some difficult math down the road — and call it an even 1,000.

The reason you’re going to need that long division is that, according to an article by the International Association of Fire and Rescue Services — which quotes Austin Fire Department Division Chief Thayer Smith — it can take as many as 40,000 gallons of water to completely extinguish a roaring Tesla fire. That is — and now you see why I rounded up — equivalent to 40 fire engines. Even the lowest estimate I could find for extinguishing an EV — 8,000 gallons — would challenge any fire department, if some kind of reservoir wasn’t close by.

Motor Mouth: The scary business of putting out an EV fire

Back