• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

The context of use is however important. Because most of the folks flying it are flying it in support of Hamas.
And you have some data to back up that claim? Some people (Most people) are stupid, and don't associate the actions of Hamas with the reaction of Israel. They just see civilian Palestinians dying and want that to stop.

And you have some data to back up that claim? Some people (Most people) are stupid, and don't associate the actions of Hamas with the reaction of Israel. They just see civilian Palestinians dying and want that to stop.
While you have a point, the issue now is that flag is slowly being taken over by bad actors. We’ve seen it with things like the red ensign, the confederate battle flag etc being co-opted for other purposes.

When people chant from the river to the sea and wave that flag and when people took to the streets to celebrate October 7th they waved that flag proudly.

Symbols can define a group and a group can also define the symbols.

While you have a point, the issue now is that flag is slowly being taken over by bad actors. We’ve seen it with things like the red ensign, the confederate battle flag etc being co-opted for other purposes.

When people chant from the river to the sea and wave that flag and when people took to the streets to celebrate October 7th they waved that flag proudly.

Symbols can define a group and a group can also define the symbols.

"When people chant from the river to the sea and wave that flag...."

Exactly; there's a qualifier there. Just having the flag outside your house does not by itself mean you support terrorism, just like having a red-ensign doesn't automatically mean you are a white supremacist.

Exactly; there's a qualifier there. Just having the flag outside your house does not by itself mean you support terrorism, just like having a red-ensign doesn't automatically mean you are a white supremacist.
Of course not. The sad part is that eventually they can lose the qualifier.

It's really scary how some pro-Israeli Zionists here at home are easily triggered by the sight of a couple of pro-Palestinian lawn signs.... To the point of setting the house on fire! What a bunch of cowards.

This happened over the weekend in London, ON, and apparently the same house was targeted 4 times earlier in the month.

"A man arrived at the house on foot... and stole items from the front yard, which included lawn signs expressing support for Palestinians... The same man later returned and started a fire on the front porch before fleeing again"
So, in your opinion, would that be worse than kidnapping people and raping and killing them in cold blood? Not saying I condone what was done to that house, but if you fly the symbols of an organization that has a large contingent that does bad things to people, you have to somewhat expect there might be push back. That's why I'm very careful on what symbols I fly/stick on/wear in public. You seem to be very quick to condemn/troll what Israel and others do to Palestinians, but I'm not sure I've ever seen you condemn Hamas/Palestinians for what they did on the 7th to Innocents in Israel.

My grandfather used to fly the Canadian Red Ensign, he stopped sometime in the late 70’s, he died in 1985 and only flew the Maple Leaf for at least the last 6 years. I’d suggest that in this day it’s hard to find anyone that could still have a reason to fly it, given most who served under it in wartime are dead and buried (admittedly there are probably a few surviving Korean War veterans left).

I am very suspicious now of folks who fly certain flags, the Stars and Bar, the Red Ensign, and any nation that supports terrorism.

I am very suspicious now of folks who fly certain flags, the Stars and Bar, the Red Ensign, and any nation that supports terrorism.
I would happily fly the Red Ensign just to get up people's noses. There is no obligation to surrender words and things to the people too lazy to create their own.

Red Ensign - in my old job, I rescued an old ship's compass binnacle stand (wooden stand with brass compass on top) that was returned to supply for disposal by a local Sea Cadet Corps. Based on condition and age, it appears to be WW2 era, but not in such condition that it was interesting to the Naval Museum in Halifax (I had the curator come down and look at it.)

So, it was instead positioned in the entry space to my office area.

I also recovered a pair of old Chaff Rocket test/dummies that I put on display to each side of it (bronze, marked INERT) and found a couple of flag poles. I put up a Canadian Flag, and, to suit the age of the Binnacle, I added a Red Ensign - as would have been the correct flag to have been flown by the ship that the Binnacle originally came from.

It's probably the only Red Ensign still on 'display' on the base outside of the Naval Museum, but, in the historical context of the Binnacle, it is suitable, and my Chain of Command agreed. It's still on display today, over 5 years later in that office.

That said, context is everything. If the Binnacle wasn't there, (and the Anchor I found too...another story...) then there would NOT be a good reason for that flag to be posted - and it would not have been posted.

So.

Why are people flying the flag of palestine?

Is it because they wish to raise awareness of the circumstance and are concerned about the problems going on over there? Have they been out in their front yard cheering 'river to the sea'? Were they out celebrating on the 7/8 October, cheering and setting off fireworks?

Motive matters.

Context matters.

The context of use is however important. Because most of the folks flying it are flying it in support of Hamas.
Many - on the Left - say similar things about the American flag. Or the German flag.

Personally, I just don't like seeing foreign flags on my home turf, except in diplomatic contexts or unless they're actual allies in need of support (Ukraine)

Most people are decent and want all harm to women and children around the world to stop. The majority will not take any effort to learn any of the historical context of any of the current conflicts, much less delve into the political or religious undertones. They are basically doing emotional masturbation to make themselves feel good about a world they don't understand.

I’d understand if it was the Confederate flag and the swastika, but the current US and German flags?
That pinpoints the distinction that should be drawn. The Confederate and Nazi flags stood for reprehensible causes from the start. Any other historical flag ought not be yielded to people who try to co-opt what it stood for and end up tarnishing it.

I’d understand if it was the Confederate flag and the swastika, but the current US and German flags?
Many on the far left would say that about the Stars and Stripes. In Germany, one would be regarded as a far right nationalist if they were waving a German flag not associated with a World Cup football victory.

Why are people flying the flag of palestine?

Is it because they wish to raise awareness of the circumstance and are concerned about the problems going on over there? Have they been out in their front yard cheering 'river to the sea'? Were they out celebrating on the 7/8 October, cheering and setting off fireworks?

Motive matters.

Context matters.

'Pissing people off for the purposes of gaining attention' is a motive, and it seems to be working ;)

Back