• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

It's not short term gain if they're all magically laid off and there's no one to force to work against their will.

There's also been 0 charges against anyone for threatening tow drivers, just 1 investigation ongoing. A reasonable person would assume the tow drivers just don't want to be involved and the Gov contract to tow a few trucks isn't worth the PR hit in the trucker community. That should speak volumes at the depth of passive support or distrust of the Government to care after they get what they want.

I don't see the EA changing that aspect.
If someone was threatening the Tow Trucks, one would think that local LE should have been able to deal with that also...
Had more to do with his support comment than this being effective.

Ya forcing these guys sounds like short term gain for long term pain.
I'm seeing a lot of negative blow back on this on news article comments - which were typically center left in commentary any other time I read them.

They cleared the bridge without any trouble at all before the Act was evoked...

It's not short term gain if they're all magically laid off and there's no one to force to work against their will.

There's also been 0 charges against anyone for threatening tow drivers, just 1 investigation ongoing. A reasonable person would assume the tow drivers just don't want to be involved and the Gov contract to tow a few trucks isn't worth the PR hit in the trucker community. That should speak volumes at the depth of passive support or distrust of the Government to care after they get what they want.
Absolutely. And in Ottawa I hope they cancel every contract they have with any company that failed to live up to their contract.

But I agree that compelling them seems a bit of an overreach. But we’ll see if they do that or not.

Now's as good a time as any to link Sean Maloney's "Parameters" article from 1997 (for some history and explication): Domestic Operations: The Canadian Approach.

From that article, here is the bit on the "Emergencies Act":

Emergencies Act. In 1988, the government replaced the War Measures Act with the Emergencies Act, which recognizes four types of emergencies: public welfare (severe natural disasters); public order (threats to the internal security of Canada); international (when intimidation, coercion, or the use of serious force or violence threatens the sovereignty, security, or territorial integrity of Canada); and war (war or other armed conflict, real or imminent, involving Canada or any of its allies).[41] Unlike the War Measures Act, the Emergencies Act specifies the types of powers the government is allowed to exert under each of the four circumstances. For example, in a Public Order Emergency, the Governor in Council is authorized to prohibit public assembly and travel to and from a specified area, and to designate and secure protected places, assume control of public utilities, and impose summary convictions for up to six months of imprisonment. Note that unlimited search and seizure, which was available to security forces under the War Measures Act, is not available under a Public Order Emergency in the Emergencies Act. It is, however, still available under an International Emergency.[42] The new act is structured to deal with situations such as a terrorist threat composed of indigenous Canadians with outside support. Under the new law, officials would have the option of declaring either a Public Order Emergency or an International Emergency in such a situation. Parliament must be convened within seven days of an emergency and a full explanation of the government's reasons and actual response must be provided. Time limits will be placed on the government's response operations, and full consultation must be made with the province in question in the case of a Public Welfare or Public Order Emergency. Any suspension of civil liberties by the government during the emergency is also subject to specific parliamentary oversight.

Before they run out and cancel contracts, I hope a cooler head figures out who needs who more.
City Manager is already reviewing the contracts and standing offers apparently. But we’ll see. It’s an election year in Ottawa this year and I suspect many councillors will be basing their campaigns on what’s happened her the last few weeks.

Too bad the mayor isn’t running again. Watching him get defeated would have been nice.

Looks like freezing accounts. This isn’t the right play. I mean it’s doing something and looking like you’re doing something.

I’m not sure making people who feel desperate feel more desperate is a solution.

The risk with singling out people (eg. tow truck operators) who don't toe the line right now is provoking more of them in the future.

Look up "Irish Democracy". Assuming it away (out of the estimate) and calling for more heads is the path to self-defeatings COAs.

"First time in history" is a wonderful bit of overblown gas that will be sure to set tongues a-flutter. Assuming no public welfare emergency was ever declared (I don't know), it could have and would not have been a big deal.
If the reporters were more unlazy, they would have included the qualifier “for a Public Order Emergency”, one of the four instances:

• Public Welfare Emergency
Public Order Emergency
• International Emergency
• War Emergency

Opposition of pressured vaccinations
Opposition of vaccine mandates
Anger towards the government because:
-they were voted in contrary to the popular vote
-their handling of Covid
-their vilifying Canadians and attacking anyone with opposing views
-back and forth contradictory rules
-<insert cause here>
Opportunists like right-wing extremists using it to push their views and agenda
An ambiguous feeling of lack of freedom by citizens and a way for them to express it
People who are bored

We have been informed it is not about mandates.

But this hasn't been about truckers or mandates since the original crowdfunding started (or even before that).

Maybe a post-election tantrum.

The importance of secure communications: A journalist live-tweets Zello.

So, they're basically more hopeless than one of my standard weekend exercises where the radios never worked but we got'er done anyways.

Noted :)

Lady Gaga Ok GIF by House of Gucci

Opposition of pressured vaccinations
Opposition of vaccine mandates
Anger towards the government because:
-they were voted in contrary to the popular vote
-their handling of Covid
-their vilifying Canadians and attacking anyone with opposing views
-back and forth contradictory rules
-<insert cause here>
Opportunists like right-wing extremists using it to push their views and agenda
An ambiguous feeling of lack of freedom by citizens and a way for them to express it
People who are bored
A cash grab
A shakedown
A con job

Back