• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Field Stoves

I have this little European Brass thing with SVEA written on the side.  It sounds like a little jet, but is about the size of a small Timmie's coffee.  It boils a pot in 5 minutes, and burns for about an hour on full blast, plus it only takes about 200mls of Naphtha.  It has a little key to regulate the flame, self cleans the nozzle everytime you turn it off, and is carried inside a small aluminium cup which can then be used as a mini pot.  It fits easily into the utility pouch on the vest, and come to think of it, it should fit easy enough into the "grenade Pouch" on the front.  (the one with the drawstring)

I still think that the Solid Fuel Stoves, or the Hexy Stoves are the best way to go. That, with 2 packs f the CF Hexy Tabs (Are they hexy? Or Another chemical?) Fit Great inside a mess Tin Set. Keeps it from rattling around too. I've used mine in -38 weather, and they've worked just fine. No pumping, no chemicals to hump around, and they're tough as nails. They can blow out with heavy, heavy winds though...and can sometimes be a pain to light...especially if you're using matches.
I know the British SAS uses them, and has used them for Years. You can Get info on it from my site.
www.geocities.com/specialairservice22nd/
-It hasn't been updated in awhile...but its still pretty good! Big too....but still a work in progress-

http://www.defenselink.mil/transformation/articles/2005-06/ta060605a.html

Here's the latest on that fancy MSR/Natick stove - looks like it'll be another year before it hits the civvie market.... :(

Meh...fancy stoves and all seem like a bit too much.  I mean, doesn't the good ol' canteen cup, stove and heat tablets work well enough?

Personally, i'm just not convinced to invest in a portable stove like the one's being mentioned...I really don't see what my above combination can't do that a stove can.

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't they quit issuing the heat tabs because they were toxic.

Anyways, you can trash a stove until you need it - I've used mine on ops and they are worth it for the minimal weight they add.

Jetboil now available in Canada

distributor is
In-Sport Fashions Inc.
125, boul. Montpellier
Montreal, QC H4N 2G3 Canada
800-465-9637

In Toronto Hikers Haven / Europe Bound has brought them in

about time!!

The stove we used on winter BMQ a while ago look damn near ancient but the thing sweat up the whole tent. When i woke up the tent was a steam bath and we were lying in a puddle of the snow that melted, thank god for biv bags :). All i know is those stoves hold their own.

Crisco said:
The stove we used on winter BMQ a while ago look damn near ancient but the thing sweat up the whole tent. When i woke up the tent was a steam bath and we were lying in a puddle of the snow that melted, thank god for biv bags :). All i know is those stoves hold their own.

Granted the old Colemans are handy, but you'll find they get a little awkward when you try to carry them around in your tac vest all day.

I hope to God I never have to :)  Probably so unproportional and wobbley.

Bomber said:
I have this little European Brass thing with SVEA written on the side.  It sounds like a little jet, but is about the size of a small Timmie's coffee.  It boils a pot in 5 minutes, and burns for about an hour on full blast, plus it only takes about 200mls of Naphtha.  It has a little key to regulate the flame, self cleans the nozzle everytime you turn it off, and is carried inside a small aluminium cup which can then be used as a mini pot.  It fits easily into the utility pouch on the vest, and come to think of it, it should fit easy enough into the "grenade Pouch" on the front.  (the one with the drawstring)

SVEA 123!!!  I have one of those - I bought it for a climbing expedition to Seneca Rocks WV back in '87 and it's been doing the deed ever since!!!  WRT the availablity of fuel canisters for the Jetboil, I have a half-dozen around most of the time (110g), however for daily use, especially if veh mounted, the larger 220 g canisters work perfectly and last semmingly forever.  I've gone for 11 days of huntging camp and done all of my coffee/tea/ablution water heating off the one canister.  The Jetboil along with 2 110g cans and 2 220g cans stays in the "trouble box" in the back of my truck 24/7/365...

blake

Back