• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dropping rank and PRETC

grayman

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking for some quick info

All the pers I have talked to that have OT'd did not drop their rank till the day before their course started, and its even written in PRETC joining instructions, I'm looking for info from those who OT'd or those who know more about the paperwork system than me.  Is there a CFAO or something I can read or refer to as to how this is decided. 
When my original message was cut it stated I was to drop rank and be posted to PRETC well over a month before my course started, and if it was'nt for some good paperwork from my COY COMD they would not of changed it, now I'm posted to PRETC and drop rank a week before my course starts.
How are the dates decided for this sort of thing? and why a week in PRETC?
No one could really give me a firm answer, so out to you, all you paperwork gurus, PRETC people, and former OT's.

cheers

First off did you re-enroll or are you a CT?  Second, what is the highest QL you hold in your current trade?  Third, what rank are you now? 

When you ask questions, be sure to provide all pertinent info. 

Heres the info you asked for

1.  I'm an OT, infantry to MP
2.  6A Qualified
3.  SGT

I apologise for not being specific I was just looking for general statements, thanks for the help

Assuming you are OT from reg to reg, then it is the decision of the applicable career manager and probably with input of CFSTG.  What ever is on your final OT message is what you should take as gospel.  For all intents and purposes you are an infantry Sgt until the date you are considered an MP, and that date will be on your message. 

Just curious but what is the big deal about droping rank and when ? Does it really matter ?

grayman said:
and why a week in PRETC?

Its a good chance to clear into the base and take care of any of the normal in-routine admin that is required. That way, on day one of the course, the school is not burdened with the requirement of having you run around the base to do all that.

CDN Aviator said:
Just curious but what is the big deal about droping rank and when ? Does it really matter ?

It matters most to the person who drops their rank, and if from a restricted rank, it matters to the Career Manager, who has a host of experienced qualified and capable people who could be promoted.

BC Old Guy said:
It matters most to the person who drops their rank,

As a remuster myself i'm well aware of that. I lost my rank too. If i wasnt willing to do so, i would have just stayed in my old trade. I can understand the pay drop issue but the OP got that taken care of. The loss of rank is unavoidable so it should not be an issue for anyone doing an OT. I have the unfortunate displeasure of running into people who cant let go of the " i used to (insert rank here)......" 20 times a day.........it never works out good for them.

I understand and accept the dropping of rank, I new it as soon as I started the paperwork, and I have let go.  My inquiry was to how "THEY" determine when.  I was just looking for a simple answer and I appreciate all the input from all those who have answered the post.
Cheers

Back