• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do you wish your corps would do more with your Affiliated Unit?

david124124

Inactive
Reaction score
Do I wish that my corps. would do more with its AF?
Yeah!

How many cadets out there wish that there Corps. would do more with there AF?
And if your corps. does do alot,what does your corps do when with the Affiliated Unit?  :mg:

No period after corps.

some do & some don't
It's a matter of need and what the CC has provided to the local Reserve unit over the years.
If your CC has provided many cadets to their ranks then the Reserve unit will be more inclined to provide some time and resources to develop their futur leaders.

Important that your CIC leaders to meet & socialize with the Resrerve unit's Officers & NCOs.

Keep your expectations low & build on them

Have fun!

At my old corps it depended mostly on the CO's relationship with the affiliated unit. We had one CO who got us involved as observers on exercise and then we had one who got us involved in exercises.

In the case of my corps it had jack to do with recruitment as nobody was recruited once we aged out. There was no encouragement from above and the ones (more like one) who did join weren't very well looked upon. just my 2 cents...

geo said:
some do & some don't
It's a matter of need and what the CC has provided to the local Reserve unit over the years.
If your CC has provided many cadets to their ranks then the Reserve unit will be more inclined to provide some time and resources to develop their futur leaders.

Important that your CIC leaders to meet & socialize with the Resrerve unit's Officers & NCOs.

Keep your expectations low & build on them

Have fun!

One problem we had is our Cadet Corps contributed zippo to the PRes unit in terms of recruiting. They didn't pay too much attention (but provided uniform parts, access to the Armoury etc) to the Cadet Corps, but then they got a huge amount of $$$ to increase there numbers by almost 100% and all the sudden we were FTXs with them 3-4 times a year. Now they're averaging about 4-5 people from the Corps a year. It's sort of a self fufilling prophecy, if you don't think you'll get people from the CC there isn't a lot of activities between the two units.

Like you said it's also important for CIC officers to get to know the PRes members, and for them to a. get along b. have an understanding of the goals of the two orgainzations.
All the officers from my former Cadet Corps are members of the mess, and that social aspect was a bridge to more activities and better support. It can also be important to dispell myths about the CIC as there are some pretty negative stereotypes out there.

Our Corps is affiliated with the LdSH (RC). I think we usually have about 2-4 activities a year with them. I believe that is plenty, the Strats in Edmonton usually invite all the Cadet Corps affiliated with them to these activities (There are 7 cadet corps in AB affiliated with the Strathconas').

Each year I have been with our Corps in Mayerthorpe we've always participated in Moreuil Wood Parade (A WW1 Remembrance Parade) and another activity(es) that let our Cadets get up and close with some of the equipment the Regiment uses. The Cadets get to ride in some of the Armoured Vehicles (LAV III, Bison, Coyote), and have got to climb on the Leopard Tank, and check out some Armoured Recce Equipment set up in the field at Wainwright.

I think it is awesome that this Reg Force Regiment takes the time to spend time with the RCAC corps affiliated with them. The Cadets always really enjoy it, and it stimulates an intrest in joining the CF, infact a couple of from my Corps have joined the Regiment. I'm an Infantry man myself 

Big thank you to the Strathconas :salute:

I think, somewhat its a "give and take" sort of relationship. A lot of cadets assume because you are not going out with your reserve unit firing there weapons, (seems to be the big thing.) Doesn't mean they aren't supporting you. For all you know the majority of your corps private funding could be coming from your reserve unit. Funding the activities that are actually in your curriculum.

But like I said I believe it is give and take. I know with my corp out band plays for there CO's parades or any other time the need them, our CO is active with their officers and in the officers mess. "Networking" is one of the key factors in getting the support you desire.

If your home corps is based on a militia that was disbanded you dont have much of a choice lol
faugh a ballagh :salute:

ryanmann356 said:
If your home corps is based on a militia that was disbanded you dont have much of a choice lol
faugh a ballagh :salute:

I don't quite understand where that came from.

HIs AfU was the Irish Fusiliers of Canada. They're long gone, but there traditions etc were given to the BCR family, which in turn took "over" all the Irish affiliated units (Pipe Band and Cadet Corps). So the affiliated unit isn't disbanded, it's the Biritish Columbia Regiment, but the Cadet Corps is still refered too as the Irish .

yeah sorry i was unclear about that.  Anyway our cadet corps is amalgimated with the BCR but the BCR reserve/reg force unit is in Vancouver and our cadet corps is in Richmond so we dont do anything with them.  But it is alot of fun working with reserve/reg force guys in cadets.  Even when I was in CL in Vernon we did training with a master corporal from PPCLI and the stories he told us were hillariouse.  The training you receive seems alot more practical when its taught to you by someone who used it in like, Afgahnistan or something, rather than it being taught to you by another kid but thats just my opinion,  could be wrong.  :warstory:

The problem with the amalgamation of the two, RCAC and CF, is that they're worlds apart.  Sure, they generally have the same concepts, but completely  different attitudes.  Unless the CF members are willing to put up with silly, naive 12 year olds, cadets will remain that, naive.  Tis a shame that cadets have such a bad light cast upon them.  In my opinion, cadet recruits vs. CF recruits and  CIC officers vs. Reg. Force/Reserve officers simply cannot compare. 

No one's talking amalgamation, this is like go to work with your Parent Day you do in CAPP.

We in the RCD do take out the more senior cadets on some of our exercises in Pet.

Mind you our OP tempo right now prevents us from doing so...at least for this year.

Regards

Franko

We used to take senior cadets in the field on a regular basis...but the practice was given the kaibosh about 6-7 years ago. Would you know per chance if the cadet thrones and powers are now allowing us to do so?

Cheers

Dave

You can, the Cadet LHQ must first seek authorization from the RSCU, and I'm sure something must be done on the unit's end of things but I have no diea what that would be.

Cadets will also recieve food budget etc to go towards the unit.

Steel Badger said:
Franko

We used to take senior cadets in the field on a regular basis...but the practice was given the kaibosh about 6-7 years ago. Would you know per chance if the cadet thrones and powers are now allowing us to do so?

Yes the affil unit can still do so. We did it not over 3 years ago....and it's still a go as far as I can recall. The affil unit has alot more leeway to do so than the cadet unit itself. They do not go through the same CoC as the cadets either. It would be the same as a Dog and Pony that lasted a full weekend with civies...which we've also done.

It all depends on the affil unit's willingness to put through the paper work and time to see it through.

Hope that helps.

Regards

I dont think we've ever done anything with our Afu. We usually don't even see them. The only people who see them usually is the band when we go to the armouries on the weekend for our instruments for parades and they are there training. I wish we could do stuff with them because we have alot we could learn from them. Plus I know alot of the guys from there and it would be nice to see them again... :(

xx-BabyGirl-xx said:
I dont think we've ever done anything with our Afu. We usually don't even see them. The only people who see them usually is the band when we go to the armouries on the weekend for our instruments for parades and they are there training. I wish we could do stuff with them because we have alot we could learn from them. Plus I know alot of the guys from there and it would be nice to see them again... :(

I actually thing this is a great post. It wasn't written like a novel but it get the point across. The majority of the posts in this thread seem to say the same thing. That they don't do anything with there affiliated unit any more, with the exception of the band. I think its true that you could learn a lot form your affiliated unit, maybe even break down the barriers between cadets and the army, at least a little.

Just remember that your Cadet rank means nothing to the trained soldiers you are with. We have had a number of Cadets on exercise who are unwilling to accept this fact, which has eroded the relationship between between my Reg't and our Cadets.

Back