• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do Not Call (especially during dinner!)

I have noticed an increase in calls from telemarketers, too, and I also assumed it was because our numbers are on the DNCL and they are just trying to get in as many calls as they can before their 30 days is up. As of Oct. 31st, I should hear a lot less ringing. In the meantime, I'll just keep hanging up on them because I know that the end is near.  ;D

I'm sure the scumbags have already found a way around all this... They will simply move their call centre operations offshore! IIRC, if they are located outside of Canada, the DNCL has no jurisdiction, and they can do as they please (much like attempts to block spam email). Besides, I notice a lot of them are now using "private numbers", or show up as "000-000-0000"; pretty hard to get proof of breaking the rules if you can't identify the number calling you...

We will not be free until the last lawyer is strangled with the guts of the last telemarketer... ;D

Here explains the crash of the system ...

Reproduced under the fairdealings Provisions of the copyright act ...

2.7 million register for do-not-call list in 1st week
Last Updated: Wednesday, October 8, 2008 | 7:57 PM ET Comments0Recommend0CBC News
In just one week, almost 2.7 million Canadians have registered on a list of people who no longer want to receive calls from telemarketers.

The do-not-call list, run by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, was launched at midnight on Sept. 30 and garnered 200,000 numbers in the first nine hours.

The online and telephone registration services quickly became overwhelmed. The systems crashed for several hours after 80,000 people tried to register at once.

The CRTC has projected that of Canada's 27 million residential phone lines, which include cellphone numbers, 16 million will be on the do-not-call list within two years.

Although it has already received some complaints from people registered on the list who are still receiving calls from telemarketers, it's too early for the telecommunications regulator to respond.

"Not everyone is aware there's a grace period for 31 days," said spokesman Denis Carmel, noting it gives telemarketers time "to clean up their lists."

Once your number is on the list, most telemarketers can no longer call you after 31 days. Telemarketers that breach the list could be fined up to $15,000.

People reporting a complaint will be asked to provide the date of the call and the name or phone number of the telemarketer.

There are some exceptions, such as pollsters, researchers, charities, government agencies and companies that already have a relationship with the household.

However, people who do not want to be called even by companies they currently deal with, like cable, phone companies and banks, can ask to be put on those firms' internal do-not-call list.

People can register their phone numbers in three ways. They can sign up online at www.LNNTE-DNCL.gc.ca or call the toll-free number 1-866-580-3625.

Or perhaps they'll use that 31 days to "target" those on the DNC list??  ;)

Cripes, I might have to register the work phone number for the list.

+I picked up the phone today and they asked by name to speak with the owner of all the stores in this area. I gave her the number where she could be reached. Then they ask me if I'm an employer of the same company. I say yes, and they start going on in an Indian accent so strong I couldn't even understand, so I passed it off to the manager standing next to me.  A few minutes later she (manager) tells me it was a telemarketer. 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't businesses supposed to be exempt from telemarketers?
I swear, next time one of them phones, and I can't understand them because of an accent... I'm going to start talking to them in French.

Midget

I get about a dozen telemarketing calls a week....from Grants International to Hewlet Packard and on and on....

What nobody, especially governments are not taking into account is that in 30 days (or less) there is going to be a real spike in the unemployment rates as these call centers start laying off employees......there are thousands of Canadians that rely on these jobs to make a living, and they are all going to go overseas as soon as they can zip up their little booties.....

GAP said:
What nobody, especially governments are not taking into account is that in 30 days (or less) there is going to be a real spike in the unemployment rates as these call centers start laying off employees......there are thousands of Canadians that rely on these jobs to make a living, and they are all going to go overseas as soon as they can zip up their little booties.....

I had never thought about that. But still, nowheres near all the centers will be affected. There is one here in town, KLJ. There's a few people I know who work there (all of them hate it) and they've told me that most of their calls are to the US.

Midget

The DNCL has made the news again. From CTV.ca today:

Fake 'do not call list' targets cell phone users

Updated Wed. Nov. 26 2008 5:28 PM ET

Stefania Moretti, CTV.ca News

Cellular customers who've registered their numbers for a type of mobile-only "do not call" registry could soon discover they are the victims of credit card fraud and possibly even identity theft, a spokesperson from a major Canadian telecom company said.

The fraudulent emails claim that Telus recently announced all wireless numbers were scheduled for distribution to telemarketers by the end of the month.

Telus detected the emails Nov. 18, said Jim Johannsson, director of media relations for Telus.

"There is no basis in fact about the rumour," Johannsson told CTV.ca on Wednesday.

The sham letter warned mobile customers they would be charged for incoming telemarketing calls, but that they could stop the calls simply by registering over the phone at one of two numbers, or online.

"It will only take a minute of your time," wrote the fraudsters. It ends by saying "Help others by passing this on to all your friends."

The website and first number listed are actually valid and direct customers to Canada's National Do Not Call List.

The second number however, was flagged by Telus' security team as a known telemarketing scam coming out of the U.S., Johannsson said.

"It has been connected to folks who collect credit card information and sell phone lists to companies in the U.S."

The criminal operation may also be involved in identity theft, though that is still unconfirmed, Johannsson said.

"The fact is that it's not legitimate and that means it's dangerous. Customers should stay away," Johannsson said, adding dozens of similar emails are circulating at any given time.

On top of the dangers associated with contacting the imitation number, cell phone customers could very well incur charges simply for placing the call -- depending on their plan, Johannsson said.

Telus originally sent out a press release to media outlets in B.C. and Alberta, thinking the emails were contained to that area.

But thanks to email forwarding and the blogosphere, the fake notice has spread to countless Canadians.

"Thanks for the info I had no clue about this I am so calling that number," one Internet user posted on Yahoo! Answers in response to the fake advisory nearly two months ago.

Telus has polled wireless customers in the past to gauge whether they'd like their numbers distributed to telemarketers, Johannsson said. The majority of responses were "no."

"We totally respect that," he said.

While the DNCL does not seem to be helping cut down on the calls on our phones, it seems that the list is a goldmine for scams ect...

globeandmail.com

Fraudsters abusing do-not-call list
Phone numbers on registry are being sold online in a possible violation of privacy laws, consumer advocacy group says

GLORIA GALLOWAY

From Friday's Globe and Mail

January 23, 2009 at 4:51 AM EST

OTTAWA — Listing your name on Canada's new do-not-call registry could actually increase the likelihood that you will be targeted by unscrupulous telemarketers.

The Consumers' Association of Canada says it has been inundated with complaints from people who have been called by scam artists after placing their telephone numbers on the registry, which went into effect last September.

The do-not-call list was created to prevent telemarketers from contacting people who do not want to be pestered with uninvited sales pitches. For companies to find out who they are not permitted to call, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission sells the list online for a fee.

"You can buy any list you want of people who subscribe to the do-not-call registry online. The whole of Toronto costs you 50 bucks for 600,000 names," Bruce Cran, president of the CAC, said in a telephone interview yesterday.

"That's just perfect for any telemarketer, because these are good names which they would otherwise have to pay money for to verify. In addition to that, there's no index list of cell phone numbers that you can get. However, people were encouraged to put their cell phone numbers on there as well."

Penalties for misuse of the registry run as high as $15,000 for a corporation, or $1,500 for an individual. But it's difficult to fine fraudsters who are based overseas - or those in Canada running a fly-by-night business.

Glenn Thibault, the NDP critic for consumer affairs, wrote federal Privacy Commissioner Jennifer Stoddart this week to ask if making the phone numbers on the registry available online is a violation of privacy laws.
remaining story click here.

Since the story was published, more than 200 comments have been posted on the website, along with another 100 comments on the Halifax Herald website. There are a lot of dissatisfied people with the DNCL out there.

... if they had asked JUST ONE street cop they would have known this would happen.
Clowns.

I'm beyond pissed at this.  Had I known the CRTC was just going to sell my information I would never have registered.  Now I'm getting thrice as many calls as before. 

I keep getting this stupid call where this fake ship foghorn sounds and tells me I've won a cruise. It's driving me nuts!!

MediPea said:
I keep getting this stupid call where this fake ship foghorn sounds and tells me I've won a cruise. It's driving me nuts!!

The best solution would be to give them your credit card information. Then that paticular call will stop coming.

MediPea said:

I get that all the time at work.

I just pretend to start barfing then very grotesquely say I'm seasick and hang up... too bad no one ever hears me.

HeadLamp said:
The best solution would be to give them your credit card information. Then that paticular call will stop coming.

:rofl:

Ouch!

MediPea said:

I've receive an email title : "BRRRRRRRRR!! SENSATIONNEL!! HEUREUSE ANNEE AVEC COCA COLA!" .

I've been one of 500 to win 100.000 euros, I just have to write to the lawyer at cabinet_maitre_dussuyer@hotmail.fr .
An hotmail adress, really  ::) !

I was lucky DNC list. I registered the first day and receivve only one more call then usual about
a subscription to a newspaper. When I refuse, the lady said : "You're not interested in news ?!?",
I answered : " Yes, but I get them by television, radio, internet, friends and sometimes read the papers
in restaurants and at the library." Didn't get any reply to that one .

The Ottawa Citizen called me everyday 3 times a day - but there was never anyone there.  When I answered and there was finally someone on the other end - I was like "listen, you people have called me three times a day, everyday for the last week.  I'm tired of it, I don't want your newspaper, please put me on your do not call list."  Chick apologized profusely and gave me the 30 day spiel. 

Never the less, I reported them to the CRTC.  Fat lot of good that's going to do crooked b@stards.

MediPea said:

is the number +0000000000?

I was getting them to, but they stopped.  I answered once, and waited to talk to someone; and told them were they could put there offer  ;D, needless to say they haven't called back.

NL_engineer said:
is the number +0000000000?

I was getting them to, but they stopped.  I answered once, and waited to talk to someone; and told them were they could put there offer  ;D, needless to say they haven't called back.

Ya that' the number. Maybe next time I'll do the same! They call at stupid hours too. They've even called my cell phone which is even more of a pain since it costs me money when they call.

Back