• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defining Foreign and Defence Policy (and hence our Military Force)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
You have double plus words there, Chris.

You have to use the latest Newspeak dictionary.

For instance it's peace is non peace, or if in Africa: double plus non peace.

So says Minitruth.

[:D

Good piece by Prof. Steve Saideman of Carleton U. on defence policy review:

Reviewing the summer of the defence review
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/cdfai/pages/97/attachments/original/1475163657/Dispatch_-_Fall_2016.pdf?1475163657#page=20

Mark
Ottawa

Bumped with the latest - a pretty detailed listing from the CF Ombudsman on what needs to be done as part of his submission to the Defence Policy Review sausage machine.  Here's his conclusion (highlights mine):
The Ombudsman Office is a resource for those who find themselves frustrated by failures in the system. When we point out those shortcomings, and they are addressed, the Department of National Defence and/or the Canadian Armed Forces become better and more effective employers for it. However, as I have noted throughout this submission, the systemic failures are too often not corrected.

With that in mind I want to emphasize that everything in this submission is based on calls, complaints and expressions of frustration and anger that pour into our office on a regular basis.

I am not suggesting there are malicious, uncaring people in the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces – the contrary is true. I am stating there is an absolute need for modern innovative thinking that flips the paradigm from the rules and regulations controlling the people to the people controlling the rules and regulations. It is always easy to find a rule or regulation that allows for inaction. It is always easier to review or study than take action and right a wrong.

In this submission, I have deliberately avoided recommending studies or reviews and the myriad of others words and phrases that have become euphemisms for lets-announce-a-study-and-hope-it-goes-away when the heat is on from the public, politicians and journalists who have glommed on to some injustice.

Yes, the media, politicians and public will inevitably move on to other matters and the lack of public scrutiny might bring temporary comfort to a few people; but under the rug the problems live on and continue to gather dust.

Mentally ill members unable to get help will continue to take drastic steps and bring a lifetime of sorrow to their families.
    Indigenous Youth in need of role models will continue to miss the opportunity.
    Our Reservists will continue to wait for parity with Regular Force members and the compensation, care and respect parity represents.
    Those attempting to negotiate the bureaucratic end-of-career maze will not be helped by another study when they know that the phrase “seamless transition” is in stark contrast to reality.
    Many military spouses and children will not be placated by claims of ‘caring for our families’ when they know from experience that whether meaningless or well meaning, it’s an empty slogan.

None of the issues addressed in this submission need another prolonged study or review and none require the expenditure of vast amounts of money.  What we need now is leadership with the will to right the wrongs before the credibility and image of this treasured institution is further eroded. No matter what position or stance we take at home or abroad, a well-supported military force will be the factor in determining success.

So let me end as I began: This is about the future. It is about our national security and our ability to attract future generations of great army, navy and air force members. It is about getting back to a place where the Canadian military regularly had pools of highly motivated, talented people knocking on the recruiting office door. Today, far too many of those talented Canadians are walking past that door with neither a second thought nor a backward glance.
Well put, Mr. Walbourne!
giphy.gif

More from the CF 'Budman here.

Two takes of Monday's (6 Feb 2017) meeting between DefMin Sajjan & SecDef Mattis: the U.S. Info-machine's ...
Pentagon Spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis provided the following readout:

Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis hosted the Canadian Minister of National Defence Harjit Sajjan at the Pentagon today, his first time hosting a defense counterpart as secretary of defense.

Secretary Mattis and Minister Sajjan reaffirmed the U.S.-Canada defense relationship, emphasizing their commitments to NORAD and continental defense, and agreeing to deepen cooperation to protect North America, noting that 2018 will be the 60th anniversary of NORAD. Secretary Mattis addressed enhancing North American defense relations and the North American Defense Ministerial, which he offered to host this spring in Washington, D.C.

The secretary and minister discussed international priorities and operations, as well as the upcoming NATO Defense Ministerial. The secretary and minister discussed U.S. and Canadian leadership as Framework Nations for Enhanced Forward Presence, members of the international counter-ISIL coalition, and support for United Nations peacekeeping. Secretary Mattis thanked Canada for its commitments to NATO and the counter-ISIL campaign, and agreed to continued discussions with Canada and other coalition members on the progress of the U.S. counter-ISIL strategy review.

The secretary and minister also discussed the importance of defense investments and modernization to ensure continued cooperation.

The secretary commended the minister for his consistent leadership, noting the need for both the U.S. and Canada to continue to represent our shared values and advance security, prosperity, and freedom. The two leaders noted the long relationship between the U.S. military and Canadian armed forces and stated they looked forward to deepening the U.S.-Canada relationship and continuing to work closely together.
...vs. the Canadian info-machine:
Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan today issued the following readout after his first meeting with new U.S. Secretary of Defense, James Mattis:

"Today I had the pleasure of meeting with U.S. Secretary of Defence James Mattis. The warm, cordial tone of the discussion reflects the long-standing, close partnership between Canada and the United States, particularly when it comes to defence and security. "The close defence relationship between our two nations provides both countries with greater security in North America and contributes to peace and stability in the world in increasingly complex and uncertain times.

"With 2018 marking the 60th anniversary of NORAD, I was pleased to highlight the importance of this unique partnership and its success in protecting North America, and we looked forward to working together on its modernization. Secretary Mattis and I also discussed multilateral issues, including our pledges to lead battle groups in support of NATO's enhanced forward presence in Eastern Europe, our commitments to the United Nations and the Summit of Defence Ministers that Canada will host later this year. We discussed our training missions in both Ukraine and Iraq and the work being done by the Global Coalition to degrade and defeat Daesh. I also took the opportunity to discuss Canada's Defence Policy Review.

"We discussed Canada’s decision to launch an open and transparent competition to replace our legacy fleet of CF-18 fighter aircraft, and to explore the immediate acquisition of 18 new Super Hornet fighter aircraft as an interim capability. I expressed my appreciation to the secretary for the support and cooperation of the US Government in these processes.

"Secretary Mattis and I pledged to work closely together and look forward to our next meeting at the upcoming NATO defence ministerial later this month. "I want to thank Secretary Mattis and Pentagon officials for the warm welcome in Washington and look forward to hosting Secretary Mattis in Canada."
More from the Pentagon here.

Telling what the Canadian statement does not mention:

The secretary and minister also discussed the importance of defense investments and modernization to ensure continued cooperation [emphasis added--rather a message, eh?].

Hmm.

Mark
Ottawa

What that seems to say to me - the Trump administration feels the 2% target is less meaningful than then 20% equipment investment.  Canada could get to that number with an extra $1-2B per year.

Nudder possible play....

Finance Operations out of the 0.7% of GDP pledged to Foreign Aid (nominally).

jmt18325 said:
What that seems to say to me - the Trump administration feels the 2% target is less meaningful than then 20% equipment investment.  Canada could get to that number with an extra $1-2B per year.

So just buy a couple extra Super Hornets and park them,eh!? [lol:

Aaaaaaand, the short & sweet version after the speech ...
Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan issued the following statement today after addressing the Conference of Defence Associations Institute on the state of Canada’s defence:

“Over the last year and a half, the Government of Canada has worked hard to address the complex challenges facing the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF). Our comprehensive review of Canada’s defence policy has shown that successive governments have not delivered the stability of predictable, sustainable, long-term funding for Defence.

“Years of inadequate funding have left the CAF lacking the resources they need. From the Army to the Navy to the Air Force – our women and men have not received the equipment and support they need. A prime example is our Cormorant search and rescue helicopters.  These helicopters provide a vital service that Canadians rely on.  Yet the previous Government did not make any provisions for the needed upcoming mid-life upgrades.

“But the resourcing problems that I have found the most troubling are the ones that have directly affected our members. Canada’s governments have failed to properly equip our Reserve Force. Not only is there not enough equipment, but the training to use what equipment they have is lacking. Like our Regular Force, our Reserve Force are tremendously resourceful, and they perform extremely well, despite having been under-funded for so long.

“Governments have a responsibility to care for their militaries, resource them properly, and fund them in a responsible way that meets their needs. Canada’s new defence policy will be a plan to build an even stronger military. Most of all, it will be a plan to care for the women and men who put on the uniform. It will be a plan to care for their families. I look forward to doing right – now and for the long term – by those who defend Canada, our people, and our way of life.”

Ah, so the cheque, so to speak, is in the mail.  We're all good then, phew.  :sarcasm:  I've heard this same song and dance by many more before him.

Why does this come to mind... truth in advertising commercial

Defence policy review to be announced after the NATO summit, according to CBC news.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/defence-policy-review-brussels-1.4113720?cmp=rss

Spectrum said:
Announcement after NATO summit = no good news for defence $$$.

:2c:

I'd pay good money to see the Head of NATO or any of our allies steel the governments thunder and come out criticizing our plan, because likely we will inform our allies about it at the summit.

Read somewhere (can't find it now) that the PM will attend meeting and leave before the announcement/"Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland will deliver a major speech ...." and " That will be followed closely by Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan's policy review...."

Fearless leader if true.

Interestingly the policy was shown to US officials, so there is hope.

Rifleman62 said:
Read somewhere (can't find it now) that the PM will attend meeting and leave before the announcement/"Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland will deliver a major speech ...." and " That will be followed closely by Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan's policy review...." ...
Here's the Cosmic Butterfly Corporation's take ...
Canada's long-awaited defence policy review will not be made public before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau faces allies at the NATO Summit in Brussels later this month, CBC News has learned.

It's a significant decision that could make the gathering of alliance leaders uncomfortable for the prime minister, especially in light of the demands and expectations of U.S. President Donald Trump, who has insisted allies boost spending on their militaries.

A senior government official tells CBC News the plan had been to release the policy before the meeting, but officials believe it is important that Canada's defence policy align with a broader set of foreign policy goals.

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland will deliver a major speech shortly after the gathering of NATO leaders that will more clearly define the Liberal government's vision, said an official with direct knowledge of the plan.

That will be followed closely by Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan's policy review, which has been more than a year in the making and will set the future direction for the military, in terms of expectations, spending and equipment.

(...)

The Americans were given a sneak peek at the new policy and were pleased, said a pair of defence sources, who were not authorized to speak to the media ...*
... as well as The Canadian Press, via Toronto Star's ...
... Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan’s spokeswoman, Jordan Owens, confirmed Monday that the policy won’t be released until after the NATO summit.

The government wants to “nestle” the defence policy within a broader foreign policy context, Owens said, which will give Canadians more context on how the different pieces fit together ...
We'll have to see how our "allies" take it - not that they've likely ever shared their defence plans with Canada before they release them to the public.
Spectrum said:
Announcement after NATO summit = no good news for defence $$$.

:2c:
Hey, let's just count like the U.K. does -- easy, peasy, lemon squeezy ...

* - We'll find out quickly enough via POTUS45's Twitter feed, right?  ;)

Canada's long-awaited new defence policy will be delivered on June 7, almost two weeks after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau meets with allies at the NATO Summit in Brussels, the country's defence minister has acknowledged.

Harjit Sajjan announced the date in response to a friendly question posed by a fellow Liberal MP during Monday's question period.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/defence-policy-review-brussels-1.4113720

dapaterson said:
Canada's long-awaited new defence policy will be delivered on June 7, almost two weeks after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau meets with allies at the NATO Summit in Brussels, the country's defence minister has acknowledged.

Harjit Sajjan announced the date in response to a friendly question posed by a fellow Liberal MP during Monday's question period.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/defence-policy-review-brussels-1.4113720

I need an Italian interpreter.  Why do I keep hearing "Domani, Domani"  running through my head?  ;D

A prelude to the defence policy, coming this morning (6 Jun 2017):
The Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Foreign Affairs, will deliver a major address in the House of Commons and outline the country’s foreign policy priorities.

Event: Speech
Date: Tuesday, June 6, 2017
Time: 10 a.m. ET
Location: House of Commons, Centre Block, 111 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario ...
:pop:

The G & M summary of the speech:

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland is the one to keep an eye on today. Ms. Freeland was appointed to her current job in January as the Trump administration took office, but it is today that she is set to lay out her foreign policy vision in a speech in the House of Commons this morning. The speech is set to be heavy on support for multilateralism, light on “responsible conviction,” and will be followed by a motion asking MPs to commit to a foreign policy based on championing human rights and gender equality, and fighting climate change and income inequality.

"Responsible conviction" - http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/stephane-dion-gives-liberal-foreign-policy-a-brand-name-responsible-conviction

To me, more, kumbaya from a government out of touch. Unfortunately they need a very rude awakening close to home that affects them personally.

Rifleman62 said:
The G & M summary of the speech:

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland is the one to keep an eye on today. Ms. Freeland was appointed to her current job in January as the Trump administration took office, but it is today that she is set to lay out her foreign policy vision in a speech in the House of Commons this morning. The speech is set to be heavy on support for multilateralism, light on “responsible conviction,” and will be followed by a motion asking MPs to commit to a foreign policy based on championing human rights and gender equality, and fighting climate change and income inequality.

"Responsible conviction" - http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/stephane-dion-gives-liberal-foreign-policy-a-brand-name-responsible-conviction

To me, more, kumbaya from a government out of touch. Unfortunately they need a very rude awakening close to home that affects them personally.

Not going to happen they are all well insulated from the world around them. 

Back