• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Contributor to Washington Times: "Canadians too cowardly to fight"

oligarch

Inactive
Reaction score
I almost spit my coffee out when I heard this!

Tony Blankely: "With the exceptions of Americans and Brits, the rest are too cowardly to fight"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKQ0nnDp4r8

is this how they think down there?

oligarch said:
is this how they think down there?

I dont know if you've noticed but we, up here, have our own fair share of people who's thinking is pretty fucked up.

CDN Aviator said:
I dont know if you've noticed but we, up here, have our own fair share of people who's thinking is pretty fucked up.

My thoughts exactly ---

Apparently, the US media also suffers from the same kind of "where the hell did they pull this expert from" problem.  ::)

Tony Blankley is a very experienced lawyer-politician who should know better than to say things like that about allies. I regret to say he is a member of my profession, too.

He was a prosecutor for the California Attorney-General, was editorial writer and editor for the Washington Times (still writes a column) and was press secretary to Newt Gingrich when he was Speaker of the US House of Representatives.

He is an author: The West's Last Chance: Will We Win the Clash of Civilizations? and American Grit: What It Will Take to Survive and Win in the 21st Century, the latter released in January this year.

My guess is he is book-spruiking and doesn't much care who he offends if he can sell copies by accenting American Grit. He was born in the UK.

ArmyVern said:
My thoughts exactly ---

Apparently, the US media also suffers from the same kind of "where the hell did they pull this expert from" problem.  ::)

It's not even "the US media" - it's Russia Today, one of the thousands, of national "narrowcasters" that supplanted the old "short wave" (high frequency) radio broadcasters. 

OpieRWestmrR said:
Tony Blankley .... press secretary to Newt Gingrich when he was Speaker of the US House of Representatives.
Ahh, so it was his job to help that idiot spread his vilification of Canada as the 9/11 terrorists' transit route.

I think that about does it for my thoughts on his credibility  ::)

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment.

He didn't say 'Canadians too cowardly to fight', he just left us out of the equation, and everyone extrapolated that 'The Others' automatically included us.

It's our own fault. We never get the good press, blow our own horns, or have everyone ballyhooing from the rooftops about our great armed forces and the terrific job we're doing.

If we can't get acknowledged in our own country, why would someone from outside think about us, or our contribution?

His likely response to 'So what about the Canadians? Are they not equal to the US and Brits, in this?' would likely be something along the lines of 'Oh yeah, them too.'

:2c:

Journeyman said:
Ahh, so it was his job to help that idiot spread his vilification of Canada as the 9/11 terrorists' transit route.

I think that about does it for my thoughts on his credibility  ::)

Newt resigned from his house seat and speaker position in 1998. Needless to say he lost the staff he had as speaker and house member at that time.

The Washington Times isn't exactly a major news outlet either, and it caters to the uberconservative types that own it (it's actually owned by the Unification Church, better known as "Moonies"), and it loses money hand over fist apparently.

So, we have a stringer, a contributor, to a second rate, local, special interest newspaper making comments on a third rate, local, special interest cable TV show and we are concerned? This is about one and half steps above Wayne's World - but without the good lookin' woman.

Edit: corrected punctuation

:cdn:
Recceguy is right in that we don't blow our own horns enough.  Canadians quietly enter and leave conflicts, usually end the fights the USA starts, and don't say boo about it.  But I bet our populous would cry loudly if they heard such crud coming from a (what seems to be ) low rate-wind bag trying to boost his own book sales.
I'm sure there are 127 of our Brother's who are not cowards and took the fight to the bad guys, plus the hundreds and thousands that gave their lives WAITING for the USA to come save Europe's collective butts.
:cdn:
There is another thread that covers this comment (and for the life of me, I can't remember where it is):  The other day, while doing a detail to and from Borden, I stopped for coffee at the Newtonville rest stop.  The girl said thank you and wouldn't take a dime.  When I graciously said thank you, the manager come over and said, "No, it is us who thank you". :crybaby:
And just today, I was in the Tim's in Picton, an elderly gentlemen came up to me and offered his hand to say Thank you, he was buying the coffee.. he slipped me a twenty...needless to say.. I said thank you very much to which he replied..."No, thank you".  :crybaby:
{Sorry, I just felt I had to get that out of my system}

Cowards our country is not, just because we can't field millions like the USA and die by the thousands,  doesn't mean we don't feel the punch and the loss.    :salute:
:2c:

GOD BLESS  :cdn: 

I said this before somewhere:  I have an autistic son. Sometimes he blurts out some inappropriate, hurtful things.  He doesn't think it through, just lets it fly.  I have a tendency to ignore them, or sometimes gently correct him, but because I understand the source, I don't freak out on him.  Same applies in this case, I think.

CDN Aviator said:
So far, the only one who seems concerned is the OP.

While I am concerned that ER referenced Waynes World.... and kind of impressed too.  8)

CDN Aviator said:
So far, the only one who seems concerned is the OP.

I shot myself in the foot by being careless/lazy (take your pick).

I meant to say "... and we are concerned?" indicating, with the question mark, that I did not understand. But I screwed up and ended the sentence with a period - which made it not make much sense.  :'(

Anyway, my "corrected" question is: Why do we care what some second rate "commentator" says on a third rate programme watched by, what, six, seven people?

Danjanou said:
While I am concerned that ER referenced Waynes World.... and kind of impressed too.  8)

He probably stole the reference from one of the young barmaids at his favourite pub - but his use of it in context is rather impressive.  :)

Roy Harding said:
He probably stole the reference from one of the young barmaids at his favourite pub - but his use of it in context is rather impressive.  :)

I was a faithful Wayne's World follower -

Tia-Carrere-2.JPG

for its undoubted educational value!

Couldn't you crop that pic so the good parts are more to the left......I had to work like hell to view it all!!!!  ;D

So in summary:

- nobody called Canadians cowards
- most Americans think of Iraq when they think of overseas fighting
- where Canadians aren't, so that's why we weren't mentioned

Does that about cover it?

Greymatters said:
So in summary:

- "A" nobody called Canadians cowards
- most Americans think of Iraq when they think of overseas fighting
- where Canadians aren't, so that's why we weren't mentioned

Does that about cover it?

It covers it now, I think.