• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilizations 4-Anybody out there a Civ fan?

GENOMS Soilder

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there are any Civ fans out there, seeing that the new Civ game is to be released in the next month or so.
I was just looking for opinions about this great game.

I love Civ. It rocks. Not a fan of turn-based strategies, but Civ is fun. I like civ 2 the best. Alpha Centauri is ok.

I have every version of every CIV game made, I'm now wasting my days away on CIV III Conquests. The new game looks fantastic, can't wait.

Looks good to go - they're using the same engine that they used for Pirates!, so it should be a welcome change from the old, sterile map.

Religion should be a contentious and sticky, but interesting, new addition.

IGNPC: What about the new religion system? That sounds really promising. How does it work in the game?

Barry Caudill: The first Civilization to discover a technology attached to the founding of a religion will establish a holy city for that religion and it will begin to spread, although slowly. To speed up the process, you can create missionaries and send them out to try to convert other cities. Also, just like the Civics, AI leaders may try to get you to convert to their religion.

That my friend looks to be amazing, what an amazingly thought out game. I'm dying to play it!

Infanteer said:
Looks good to go - they're using the same engine that they used for Pirates!, so it should be a welcome change from the old, sterile map.

Religion should be a contentious and sticky, but interesting, new addition.

Same engine as Pirates!? I didn't know that, that's amazing!

I'm also looking forward to playing the new CIV. Ahh, good ol civ2. Only thing was, that you could research hightech military crap FAR FAR FAR before the actual time you should... and well, it was basically the race to philosphy. Nevertheless, damn fine game.

you should check out this website
http://www.civfanatics.com/ has information on all Civs I-IV. 

and the webfourms have all the answers you're looking for.  great little website
http://forums.civfanatics.com/

I've spent many a hour there looking through the various strat guides and such.  Civ is such a fanatistic game.

I'm looking forward to getting CIV IV, however I will need to upgrade my videocard before i do that, and sadly I can't really afford either at the moment.  I suspect I'll get my hands on CIV sometime after Christmas... poor me.

I'm a big Civ fan. Have been now ever since Civ I came out. Can't wait for Civ IV! It will be nice if they update the board!

Looking forward to it all!

Bob

Another big Civ fan here I liked Civ3 better then Civ2. I did not know that there was a 4th one coming out soon good to here I will have to pick it up.

Kyle.

Just went and had a look at some of the new features and previews of the game. I can't wait to get my copy!

Cheers

Does anyone one out there know if there will be a new Alpa centuri or something similar to accompany the new Civ 4?

Kyle.

I'm a big fan of Civ 3 and am looking forward to the fourth.  I do hope that it's easier and more dependable; I found outside scenarios difficult to import and my computer (just a year old) often crashed.  Civ 4 promises to have better friendly AI so that you can concentrate on just one manner of leadership, ie control military or economic.  I hope that it comes with a 'unit upgrade' feature that will automate the function when new units are available.

I'm trying to get my kids interested as I believe it is a valid learning tool.

If you're sick of the ancient soundtrack, get a hold of Rick Wakeman's 'Wonders of the World' CD.  It accompanies the game well.  Cheers.

Anyone got the game yet?  I've had it for a few days and I like the fact that they got rid of alot of the tedium that used to exist.  Religion is neat to play with.

However, it seems to be as buggy as hell - I had it crash on me today and seize the computer everytime I tried to reload an autosave.  So I reloaded my last save and had it sieze up again a few turns later - pissed off, I gave up.  A patch better be coming out quick or I'm going to lose interest.

Hey Infanteer;

Yeah, i bought it the other day! The install was quite buggy for me, I'm used to software being quite seamless, especially by the time you get to a fourth version. After all what program doesn't come with either an uninstall button on the opening menu or a complete program that is installed in the menu? I had to hunt around on the cd to find it! Not public friendly programming. I kinda felt like Scotty in the Star Trek movies talking to the computer mouse... Oh computer?  ;D I'd also forgotten civ's reputation for each version being quite buggy until fixes get quite high in number, around #14 or so  ;D!

Tried to play the game, it seems it takes more turns to develop the units, but I have technologies on 100%, and am amazed at how fast I'm discovering these in this version! Way behind in improvements and such. Haven't tried to play with the religions, yet! Looking forward to that twist in the game. The board is quite different, I haven't played the other games that it has been developed around, other people have mentioned, so it's all new to me - much better so far! I haven't had it crash yet, but I'm hardly into it enough to be doing anything really task load heavy.

Personally, I like playing more modern times, and don't have the time to develop mods or scenarios. Am awaiting for some of my favourite scenarios to come out in civ iv! There are some really, really talented people working on those! Some of them are such great fans, that I'm sure they've been given or have had access to Beta versions! Firaxis' would've been nuts not to have them involved in the development.

Anyhow, really like the potential I see so far! I think I'd put away civ III for a couple of months when it first came out until they'd developed enough fixes to make the game workable - not a good reputation to have! Then it won a lot of quite prestigious software development awards, which surprised me! Epic games require epic fixes -  ;)

Civ4 is an awesome game. It is buggy though but firaxis is workin on it as they already have one patch out wich seemed to help alittle.

anyone who is a civ fan check out www.civfanatics.com. awesome forum they have lots of mods and some user made fixes which are extremely helpful. so check it out.

My game still crashes when I trade for a map of most of the world; not happy with it, I quickly lost interest.... :mad:

Infanteer said:
My game still crashes when I trade for a map of most of the world; not happy with it, I quickly lost interest.... :mad:

Me too, Infanteer. I went back to Civ III for awhile until they fix the new one. But quite frankly it plays a lot slower and differently than Civ III. I'm willing to give it a chance, but they are going to have to make improvements. ::)

Bob

Back