• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal skilled military applicant program

Reaction score
Evening all,

Question from across the pond, specifically the UK.

I am currently serving in the British Army specifically the REME as a vehicles Artificer, myself an the Mrs have often explored moving to Canada and I have received some info regarding the FSMA program from the CAF recruiting team.

The process is laid out quite well by them but I just wondered if anybody had come across anyone that had successfully been through it, from what I can gather it's quite new in this guise.

Any help would be appreciated, worked with the CA specifically the RCEME in Iraq an they were a great bunch.

Stay safe

I’ve met a handful of people that went through the old process. It’s a small sample size, but they were universally former British Army SNCOs and WOs who had been released at 22 years service, back when the UK was giving the boot to ORs at that point if they hadn’t been selected for late entry commissioning, They joined the CAF, while still collecting their UK pensions, and gave good service. They certainly weren’t a threat to anyone else’s promotions since they couldn’t get a French profile (and arguably English — insert Scots/Geordie/Scouse joke here).

Anecdotally, I’ve heard stories of aircrew qualified on Canadian-equivalent platforms and exchange officers that didn’t want to go home also joining up, but I haven’t met one. As I understand it, it’s always been possible, but it’s a CDS-level waiver to enrol someone who isn’t a citizen or a permanent resiedent, so it needs to be a strong file to make it through the various gatekeepers.

Best of luck!

I’ve met a handful of people that went through the old process. It’s a small sample size, but they were universally former British Army SNCOs and WOs who had been released at 22 years service, back when the UK was giving the boot to ORs at that point if they hadn’t been selected for late entry commissioning, They joined the CAF, while still collecting their UK pensions, and gave good service. They certainly weren’t a threat to anyone else’s promotions since they couldn’t get a French profile (and arguably English — insert Scots/Geordie/Scouse joke here).

Anecdotally, I’ve heard stories of aircrew qualified on Canadian-equivalent platforms and exchange officers that didn’t want to go home also joining up, but I haven’t met one. As I understand it, it’s always been possible, but it’s a CDS-level waiver to enrol someone who isn’t a citizen or a permanent resiedent, so it needs to be a strong file to make it through the various gatekeepers.

Best of luck!
Appreciate the reply! Did you ever hear how far they got knocked down rank wise if at all? I don't beleive you guys have the rank of SSgt or Artificers from what I can see.

I obviously wouldn't have the pull of a pilot in terms of desirability but I have served 11 years and am 31 so surely that would go in my favour.

Is a strong grasp of French essential to do well within the CA?

Stay safe

As I recall, the ones I met had been Sergeants and Staff Sergeants in the British Army, and were enrolled in the Canadian Forces as Sergeants. But be aware that I’m talking about a small sample size — I think I’ve personally known 4 people that fell in this category.

As to French, it’s more important to competing for promotions the higher you go. It wouldn‘t be unusual to meet a Sergeant or Captain that didn’t have any second language ability at all, while it would be rare to find a regular Chief Warrant Officer or Lieutenant Colonel that wasn’t bilingual. (the reserves are a little different)

And if you don’t mind me asking, why Canada? Australia and New Zealand have well-established programs for recruiting foreign skilled applicants, while Canada’s version is a little more ad hoc.

As I recall, the ones I met had been Sergeants and Staff Sergeants in the British Army, and were enrolled in the Canadian Forces as Sergeants. But be aware that I’m talking about a small sample size — I think I’ve personally known 4 people that fell in this category.

As to French, it’s more important to competing for promotions the higher you go. It wouldn‘t be unusual to meet a Sergeant or Captain that didn’t have any second language ability at all, while it would be rare to find a regular Chief Warrant Officer or Lieutenant Colonel that wasn’t bilingual. (the reserves are a little different)

And if you don’t mind me asking, why Canada? Australia and New Zealand have well-established programs for recruiting foreign skilled applicants, while Canada’s version is a little more ad hoc.
That's not too bad then in terms of losing rank, I'm quite junior in terms of years served so wouldn't be a huge hit.

I have been to Canada various times with the Army and loved it, I appreciate it's not perfect in the same way the UK isn't but I loved the outdoor lifestyle and the incredible nature and landscape large parts of Canada has.

I have a mate who went to NZ and it sounds great in terms of outdoor lifestyle but it's a pretty spartan existence, and you literally couldn't get further away from family whereas Canada is an 8 hour flight. Australia has a great system of moving over at next to no personal cost but Canada just struck a chord with me I suppose.

What is the state of the CA? On the website it looks like almost every role is in demand, retention a bit of an issue? Also what are that married quarters like? Are they subsidised like we have in the UK?

Appreciate that's a lot of questions but the info is quite hard to come by, I really appreciate your replies.

What is the state of the CA? On the website it looks like almost every role is in demand, retention a bit of an issue? Also what are that married quarters like? Are they subsidised like we have in the UK?

Appreciate that's a lot of questions but the info is quite hard to come by, I really appreciate your replies.
Oh boy.

Yes, retention is an issue in Canada, like everywhere else. Ironically, one of the reasons is that housing costs have increased dramatically, and the CAF got rid of many of its married quarters decades ago. Some of the Army bases have them but usually have long wait lists.

The quarters (again, if you can get them) would be a bit cheaper than being on the economy, but it’s not like there is one fixed rate for a 2-bedroom, for example. It depends on the base.

I know three former RAF officers who are now RCAF officers. They seem to like the switch but they left when the RAF grounded the Nimrod, so their specialty in the RAF was in doubt.

That's not too bad then in terms of losing rank, I'm quite junior in terms of years served so wouldn't be a huge hit.

I have been to Canada various times with the Army and loved it, I appreciate it's not perfect in the same way the UK isn't but I loved the outdoor lifestyle and the incredible nature and landscape large parts of Canada has.

I have a mate who went to NZ and it sounds great in terms of outdoor lifestyle but it's a pretty spartan existence, and you literally couldn't get further away from family whereas Canada is an 8 hour flight. Australia has a great system of moving over at next to no personal cost but Canada just struck a chord with me I suppose.

What sports do you play?

Seriously, it's a thing here ;)

Oh boy.

Yes, retention is an issue in Canada, like everywhere else. Ironically, one of the reasons is that housing costs have increased dramatically, and the CAF got rid of many of its married quarters decades ago. Some of the Army bases have them but usually have long wait lists.

The quarters (again, if you can get them) would be a bit cheaper than being on the economy, but it’s not like there is one fixed rate for a 2-bedroom, for example. It depends on the base.

I know three former RAF officers who are now RCAF officers. They seem to like the switch but they left when the RAF grounded the Nimrod, so their specialty in the RAF was in doubt.
So if you are unable to get a Pmq what is the alternative? Do they subsidise you renting privately?

The retention issue is so strange, the issue is pretty simple, soldiers airmen or sailors just want to work on modernish equipment and feel valued, lack of either of those and civilian competition wins!

So if you are unable to get a Pmq what is the alternative? Do they subsidise you renting privately?
It depends on your location and rank. Essentially, junior ranks may have some subsidization but senior ranks won’t, but it all depends on where you’re posted.

You might wan to check out our pay scales as well. Not sure how they compare to the British Army.

The retention issue is so strange, the issue is pretty simple, soldiers airmen or sailors just want to work on modernish equipment and feel valued, lack of either of those and civilian competition wins!
Yup.

Haha football is about it to be honest, won't have much use for me in that department I imagine 😂

Well, as long as you're not a Man U supporter ;)

Why would you want to stay in the Army in Canada?

With your skills/qualifications there are about a thousand businesses across the country that would probably snap you up in a heartbeat, pay you double or triple what you'd earn as a soldier, and not treat you like dirt.

For example, I know people in the auto industry who are desperate for mechanics/ technicians. Most of them make tons of cash and don't have to move every two years. If you work on diesel engines or big vehicles, go north young man and seek your fortune.

If you do, make sure you put things in your resume like 'can change the power pack on a Chally 2 in pissing down rain in the dark in 30 minutes while making a good mess tin curry'.

And then there are the trains, right @Humphrey Bogart ?

The process is laid out quite well by them but I just wondered if anybody had come across anyone that had successfully been through it, from what I can gather it's quite new in this guise.

This may be of interest to you, though it's over a decade old.

Let me translate that for you.
Cmon let's not fall out already
This may be of interest to you, though it's over a decade old.

Appreciate that I'll have a read!

Well, as long as you're not a Man U supporter ;)

Why would you want to stay in the Army in Canada?

With your skills/qualifications there are about a thousand businesses across the country that would probably snap you up in a heartbeat, pay you double or triple what you'd earn as a soldier, and not treat you like dirt.

For example, I know people in the auto industry who are desperate for mechanics/ technicians. Most of them make tons of cash and don't have to move every two years. If you work on diesel engines or big vehicles, go north young man and seek your fortune.

If you do, make sure you put things in your resume like 'can change the power pack on a Chally 2 in pissing down rain in the dark in 30 minutes while making a good mess tin curry'.

And then there are the trains, right @Humphrey Bogart ?
Absolutely not, man united was a swear word in my house growing up 😂

And I appreciate I could just come over using the express entry route and try to find work as a civilian using my skills but to be honest I enjoy the military, I understand it's limitations but it's been good to me, and if I were to emigrate why not give some service to that country while you establish yourself there, maybe thats naive but hey ho!

Absolutely not, man united was a swear word in my house growing up 😂

And I appreciate I could just come over using the express entry route and try to find work as a civilian using my skills but to be honest I enjoy the military, I understand it's limitations but it's been good to me, and if I were to emigrate why not give some service to that country while you establish yourself there, maybe thats naive but hey ho!

roman rome GIF

Let me translate that for you.
ahem... many of us use the correct term and call it Football still ;-)
After all it's not the FISA World Cup now is it? :ROFLMAO:
sorry off track :) I'll just go back to my corner now :)

Appreciate everyone's replies, been some useful info.

What does a full career look like In the CA, although slowly changing we know that our 22-24 years end with us being discharged unless we commission, there are some other routes but few an far between.

Is it the same in the CA or can you serve as an other rank for longer?

Appreciate everyone's replies, been some useful info.

What does a full career look like In the CA, although slowly changing we know that our 22-24 years end with us being discharged unless we commission, there are some other routes but few an far between.

Is it the same in the CA or can you serve as an other rank for longer?
We (members of the CAF) definitely do not need to commission. I’ve seen folks serve 25 years and retire as a Cpl.

You can serve to age 60 (higher with approval) but you essentially stop getting more for your pension at 35 years of service (70% of your salary, at 2% per year of service)

Back