• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Well, Canada’s official position now, according to Environmental Minister Guilbault, is to let the market decide nuclear’s future, as noted earlier upthread. Of course, that is, until things develop as you portend, and Alberta and Saskatchewan become the secondary source of the North American nuclear wave…then Ottawa will likely “re-imagine” the NEP to ensure that control and profits are appropriately re-directed back to the Laurentian Elites

You mean the 'NGP', right? ;)

She may be off O'Toole's Christmas card list for this stunt, but she's probably just got herself on to Trudeau's...

And here comes the official challenge to O’toole’s leadership.

Smart that it comes from a senator.

O'Toole cannot indirectly or directly punish her.

And she makes a good point.

Erin O’Toole lost this election by every measure. Our party lost half a million votes, won fewer seats, and received a lower popular vote than in 2019. We lost ethnically diverse MPs, female MPs, and MPs in the GTA, Alberta, and in Vancouver’s suburbs. In the GTA alone, O’Toole lost 80,000 votes compared to 2019. O’Toole’s inability to communicate or connect with female voters created an even wider gender gap.

Good news for Alberta parents.

Alberta and the federal government have reached a five-year $3.8 billion childcare agreement using the federal funding to create more than 40,000 new childcare and early learning spaces and bring the average cost for children under six down to $10-a-day.

“Now, I think people know that the provinces and the federal government don’t always get along on everything. And there’s always going to be points of disagreement. But I am really, really pleased to be here today with Premier Kenney and the Government of Alberta to demonstrate that on the things that matter most to citizen, on the things that matter to the people that we serve, we can get big things done,” Trudeau said.

“That’s exactly what we’ve been able to do here today with Alberta on moving forward with a historic agreement on childcare.”

Smart that it comes from a senator.

O'Toole cannot indirectly or directly punish her.

And she makes a good point.
It’s no accident. I wouldn’t be shocked if “others”are behind this and using her as the mouth piece.

While I agree that she makes a point about the CPC running a more liberal campaign, it’s what was needed. If they turf
O’toole they’ll get into another divisive leadership run and the fringe elements will come up out of their holes. I don’t think these people really want to govern.

It’s no accident. I wouldn’t be shocked if “others”are behind this and using her as the mouth piece.

While I agree that she makes a point about the CPC running a more liberal campaign, it’s what was needed. If they turf
O’toole they’ll get into another divisive leadership run and the fringe elements will come up out of their holes. I don’t think these people really want to govern.

Personally I can't stomach a further move right by the party. Perhaps it's time for us red cons to migrate to the Liberals and try to drag them back towards the center. I would love to see a PC party again but we would be to centerist for most I think.

Personally I can't stomach a further move right by the party. Perhaps it's time for us red cons to migrate to the Liberals and try to drag them back towards the center. I would love to see a PC party again but we would be to centerist for most I think.
Sadly I think you are right.

Perhaps it's time for us red cons to migrate to the Liberals

"Exit" or "Voice". "Exit" helps the LPC. People who do that will basically end up looking like a version of NeverTrumpers. Not going to convince the people who stay behind.

... Not going to convince the people who stay behind.
Any chance of enough people being convinced to go a titch more progressive in the current mix? If there was, I suspect it would have happened. Or are we talking generational change?

Conservatives aren't progressives. Most Canadian conservatives have already adjusted to essentially lock in things like SSM. Accentuating the holdouts doesn't change the general trend. If you're willing to support the LPC or NDP over whichever hot button issue it is for you that puts CPC beyond the pale - and especially if it involves some unlikely unicorn like a majority of Canadian ridings electing social conservatives - then charitably you've probably moved away from conservativism, and uncharitably - if you do that and the progressives are happy to accept your support without doing much of anything for that support - you're what used to be called a "useful idiot".

Conservatives aren't progressives. Most Canadian conservatives have already adjusted to essentially lock in things like SSM. Accentuating the holdouts doesn't change the general trend. If you're willing to support the LPC or NDP over whichever hot button issue it is for you that puts CPC beyond the pale - and especially if it involves some unlikely unicorn like a majority of Canadian ridings electing social conservatives - then charitably you've probably moved away from conservativism, and uncharitably - if you do that and the progressives are happy to accept your support without doing much of anything for that support - you're what used to be called a "useful idiot".
Progressive Conservatives were and are still a thing. There has always been red Tories and blue liberals. They can cycle and have cycled between the two main parties when the values and policies shifted in various directions. Capturing that vote is the tricky part, O’toole at least tried. I would argue Harper did as well to an extent.

And don’t kid yourself. This isn’t about O’toole’s leadership. I am convinced that this is about resistance to moving closer to the centre.

I want a moderate centrist option. More specifically two.

The current state of the CPC though is showing it’s political immaturity. It is showing an unwillingness to want to govern and keeps shooting itself in the foot. We really don’t have a serious moderate right of center party.

If it takes those red Tories to shift to the LPC and move that party more to the centre then so be it. Halifax Tar’s comments represent a common feeling within the center right.

I’ve said it before. The CPC will ensure that the LPC will rule for a generation.

Progressive Conservatives were and are still a thing. There has always been red Tories and blue liberals. They can cycle and have cycled between the two main parties when the values and policies shifted in various directions. Capturing that vote is the tricky part, O’toole at least tried. I would argue Harper did as well to an extent.

And don’t kid yourself. This isn’t about O’toole’s leadership. I am convinced that this is about resistance to moving closer to the centre.

I want a moderate centrist option. More specifically two.

The current state of the CPC though is showing it’s political immaturity. It is showing an unwillingness to want to govern and keeps shooting itself in the foot. We really don’t have a serious moderate right of center party.

If it takes those red Tories to shift to the LPC and move that party more to the centre then so be it. Halifax Tar’s comments represent a common feeling within the center right.

I’ve said it before. The CPC will ensure that the LPC will rule for a generation.
Frankly the CPC is a centralist party - the Reform movement dragged it briefly to the Right - and then it has drifted back further to the left.

Canada is the Boiling Frog of Conservatism - the change has been slow that most Conservatives still think they are actually conservatives - not Liberals...

Meanwhile people fear monger the incredibly uninformed electorate into thinking the bogeyman exists in the CPC, and the corruption party wins again.

Reactions: QV
The LPC knows its main turf fight is with the NDP. That's where it's going to move.

If you want a centrist conservative party, the best place to start is the nominally conservative party. You're outnumbered by the centre-left and left in the LPC.

Frankly the CPC is a centralist party - the Reform movement dragged it briefly to the Right - and then it has drifted back further to the left.

Canada is the Boiling Frog of Conservatism - the change has been slow that most Conservatives still think they are actually conservatives - not Liberals...

Meanwhile people fear monger the incredibly uninformed electorate into thinking the bogeyman exists in the CPC, and the corruption party wins again.
The problem is that the conservatives played a major role in enabling that boogey man reputation. Scheer did no one any favours in that regard. Full credit to O’toole for managing to minimise that this time around. Not completely, his gun flip flop didn’t help but at least it wasn’t as bad as the last guy.

The problem is that the conservatives played a major role in enabling that boogey man reputation. Scheer did no one any favours in that regard. Full credit to O’toole for managing to minimise that this time around. Not completely, his gun flip flop didn’t help but at least it wasn’t as bad as the last guy.
Oh I totally agree - some of the CPC MP's and Candidates act like they intentionally want to lose as they say the most outlandish things - some stuff that even I as a right wing guy wonder WTF they are thinking.

The LPC knows its main turf fight is with the NDP. That's where it's going to move.

If you want a centrist conservative party, the best place to start is the nominally conservative party. You're outnumbered by the centre-left and left in the LPC.
If they can stop beating themselves up with their own hands maybe. I won’t hold my breath. The latest shenanigans aren’t inspiring confidence.

Back