• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 Rail Strike (or not?)

Gotta say it's pretty based that you just made some shit up and then still find a way to slag the Liberals without any missed beat lol
Pretty cool eh. I can always find a way to slag those dolts.😉

I think you meant biased, which is closer to the intent than based. When it comes to them, I'll accept either with thanks :salute:

No wonder hardly anybody wants to get into politics. You slagged for not doing something and slagged for doing something.
And that’s just the relatively civil stuff. Not particularly unusual now for normal politicians to be getting messages left saying their families should be raped and hanged. A lot of absolutely atrocious stuff is said that falls just a bit short of the actual line of prosecutable threats.

That was quicker than I thought. Uncle Sam must have called.
I really don’t know if SecState called or not but I’m glad this strike has been nipped.
My dad said over 50 years ago that rail workers should not be allowed to strike and cripple the nation.
It seems unions won’t be happy until they squeeze every last nickel they can out of their employers.

I really don’t know if SecState called or not but I’m glad this strike has been nipped.
My dad said over 50 years ago that rail workers should not be allowed to strike and cripple the nation.
It seems unions won’t be happy until they squeeze every last nickel they can out of their employers.
Better Canadian workers than American CEOs that don't care about Canadian society. I will side with my countrymen as a matter of principle over corporatists squeezing every penny out.

Better Canadian workers than American CEOs that don't care about Canadian society. I will side with my countrymen as a matter of principle over corporatists squeezing every penny out.
Except your countrymen don't give a fiddler's F8ck about you, or me or the economy and the fact people are struggling.

Many years ago a local restaurant underwent unionization. That restaurant soon went broke and closed up.

Unions can be a good thing and keep employers honest but some of the demands of unions are unsustainable, but that doesn't matter does it>

Except your countrymen don't give a fiddler's F8ck about you, or me or the economy and the fact people are struggling.

Many years ago a local restaurant underwent unionization. That restaurant soon went broke and closed up.

Unions can be a good thing and keep employers honest but some of the demands of unions are unsustainable, but that doesn't matter does it>
What is unsustainable about the demands being made by the union now? Tell me how it's a good idea to cut rest periods to 12 hours like the employer is advocating for. Do you want trains being run by crews in your town under those circumstances? Or are you being ideological needlessly?

What is unsustainable about the demands being made by the union now? Or are you being ideological needlessly?
The problem has been with us for over 50 years if not longer. These rail unions do this every time. Threaten to cripple the country and whine when things need to change. I for one am tired of unions (and I am a union member) calling the shots. If its safety issues or conditions, fine. But there is always a demand for more money.

Big union is as bad as big corporation in the long run.

Like I said, the average family is struggling and these unions threaten to cripple the nation if they don't get their way. Great Canadians aren't they?

What is unsustainable about the demands being made by the union now? Tell me how it's a good idea to cut rest periods to 12 hours like the employer is advocating for. Do you want trains being run by crews in your town under those circumstances? Or are you being ideological needlessly?
I did 32 years with 12 hours between shifts, on top of an hour drive each way to work for most of it, yet some how I haven't turned into a mutant yet.

I did 32 years with 12 hours between shifts, on top of an hour drive each way to work for most of it, yet some how I haven't turned into a mutant yet.
On the railroad? Mind you this is 10-12 from the end of shift. For a scenario, an extremely common occurrence in railroading is you expecting a train at say 3 pm let's say. You wake up at 1 pm to get ready for work. You wait for the call but it never comes. You're still on call so you sit around and wait. You're not getting paid for this time waiting around. You finally get the call at 10 pm. You have two hours to report. Your shift starts at midnight. You work from a minimum of 8 hours to a maximum of 12 hours of hard work. It's now 8 am. Head back to the crappy hotel an hour away. 10-12 hours after getting off the train you do it all over again. Rinse. Repeat.

Do you want people driving rolling bombs around under those conditions?

Last edited:
You fly on commercial airplanes, right?

Canadian Aviation Regulations

Rest Periods — General​

• 700.40 (1) An air operator shall provide a flight crew member with the following rest periods at the end of a flight duty period:
    • (a) if the flight duty period ends at home base,
      • (i) either 12 hours, or 11 hours plus the travel time to and from the place where the rest period is taken, or
      • (ii) if the air operator provides suitable accommodation, 10 hours in that suitable accommodation; and
    • (b) if the flight duty period ends away from home base, 10 hours in suitable accommodation.

On the railroad? Mind you this is 10-12 from the end of shift. For a scenario, an extremely common occurrence in railroading is you expecting a train at say 3 pm let's say. You wake up at 1 pm to get ready for work. You wait for the call but it never comes. You're still on call so you sit around and wait. You're not getting paid for this time waiting around. You finally get the call at 10 pm. You have two hours to report. Your shift starts at midnight. You work from a minimum of 8 hours to a maximum of 12 hours of hard work. It's now 8 am. Head back to the crappy hotel an hour away. 10-12 hours after getting off the train you do it all over again. Rinse. Repeat.

Do you want people driving rolling bombs around under those conditions?
I don't disagree with the premise of your argument. And the solution is to hire more staff so individuals aren't put into these positions. The trade off though would be that you need to pay everyone less, reduce overtime, etc. so that the overall cost of doing business doesn't go up.

The problem becomes that this argument never works with any union, whether it be teachers, nurses, police officers or any other "critical" group of employees that serve the public. If a union is offered the choice between more pay for current members, or no raises but hiring more people to reduce burn out, overtime costs, increase safety, etc. what does everyone think the union will always choose on behalf of their membership?

ditto but not every shift change. The U.S. preferred shift schedule for their controllers was 6 hours on 12 hours off before the next shift and 4 shifts in 3 days. Canada was a minimum of 8 hours on a short change with the employee's consent.

Back