• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets vs Boy Scouts (role, "child soldiers", etc.)

One thing i hate about the anti child war laws is that it restricts corps. from playing Capture the flag and from teaching army cadets about military camo,how to conceal your self etc.

Ask and you shall recieve :)

Here's the link to the article, it's in french but i'll try to make a rough translation ASAP:

http://www.quebeclibre.net/spip.php?article403

Rough google translation available here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quebeclibre.net%2Fspip.php%3Farticle403&langpair=fr|en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

This guy is clearly blowing things out of proportion, but he does cover his ass. This seems like more of a rant than anything of substance. As well, it's from a "Quebec Libre" site, so grains of salt should be taken accordingly.

Soldiers are trained to be prepared for active combat. I don't think that the marching, sailing, fieldcraft skills and playing with airguns is creating a child army.

Some people rant about anything. Give them a podium to do it on and eventually someone will think they are right.

The incongruous said:
Here's the link to the article, it's in french but i'll try to make a rough translation ASAP:

http://www.quebeclibre.net/spip.php?article403

Oh yeah, cadets are sure child soldiers.... even though as I was leaving, the unit was told we weren't allowed to keep our Air Rifles, or Drill Rifles, or practice drill rifles which were white boards of wood shaped like enfields in the building.

Midget

Its an editorial/opinion piece - thus not based on fact, but rather "opinion"...and its from Le Devoir.

It made me laugh - and then roll my eyes.

Personally, I'm not too concerned. Its Quebec (not a slag to quebecers, just stating that well, my adopted province is quite 'unique') . The dude is just out to get an audience. Best do as the Cmdt URSC East did - not respond.

Pas très brillant---not too brilliant. The cadet movement has been around for more than 80 years and has contributed to form the women and men we are today and I hope they will exist for a long time.

We all have to be aware of those in our country who will say, do, or try anything to undermine the peace and order and good government we have today!

I was proud to be a cadet in my youth, and I can credit it with many excellent learning activities that prepared me for my adult life.  I am proud of the young people in our country who choose to spend their time in Cadets, they need to be encouraged and supported, not vilified and condemned.

Good on all Cadets across our country, I am proud of the choice you made to improve yourselves!

Nut job. We only recruit a relatively small fraction of ex-cadets into the CF, so his case is groundless.

It must be the uniforms. Must be. I guess it was exactly 4 years ago today (technically yesterday, as it has passed midnight) that a couple hundred people in Halifax thought cadets were being 'sucked into' the CF. It was the anniversary of Shock and Awe, and we were standing in uniform on the sidewalk waiting for the bus to take us back home, when the protest marched by. Lots of long haired garbage can drummers yelling "Save yourselves, little dudes" to us as they tripped by.
Must be those uniforms.

Midget

daftandbarmy said:
Nut job. We only recruit a relatively small fraction of ex-cadets into the CF, so his case is groundless.

Anyone have a figure on this? I heard 5% from an ex-Cadet, but he didn't have anything credible to back him up so I don't know if that's approximate or way out to lunch.

Lumber said:
Anyone have a figure on this? I heard 5% from an ex-Cadet, but he didn't have anything credible to back him up so I don't know if that's approximate or way out to lunch.

I would say something higher than 5% if you're counting reserves as well. But that's just a guess.

Working with the Navy League in my home town for a couple years now (Daddy's a CIC, Mom's on the branch, two younger sisters in Army Cadets, me volenteering alot)  I can definantly say that is NOT the case.  Their most popular things to do at the moment are Drill, flags (can't remember the name but our corps is going to be doing it at provincials this year WOOT), Sailing and Band (Suix St. Marie has an awsome band BTW, they out did anything I ever saw in my highschool and they're all little kids) Oh and don;t forget the winter camping I mean wow can you say soldier conditioning or what? HA!  If anything I think its agreat program and I wish more kids would get involved.

Here's a translation:

This afternoon, politicians will be voting on the prolongation of Canada's mission in Afghanistan. Everything indicates that military budgets will Reach new highs.

The continuation of this war will have other consequences, A great pressure for the recruitment of more soldiers. You are parents, there are children in your family, in your entourage... You work with them, Of course you want what's best for them...

Be Careful!:

The end of primary school is coming, know that there could be a recruiting agent in your surroundings. It could be the parents of a young neighbor or friend, a school coach or even school personnel. All of them could be instructor in a Cadet corp.

Of course, it is nothing comparable to the child soldiers that are used in conflicts. Still, across Canada, 50 000 youth are indoctrinated in Cadet corps.

The instructors of these cadets are soldiers, members of your local reserve unit. The youth wear a military uniform, are conditioned with drill to obey unquestionably to their officers and learn how to use weapons.

Order to recruit:

Since the escalation of the conflict in Afghanistan, there exists a massive Army public relation campaign dubbed: Operation Connection. To remedy to the rapid loss of Personnel, the army is aiming to recruit 10 000 men and women each year between 2007 and 2012.

In this context, General Rick Hillier, The Canadian Forces Commander, has given the order to every member of the military to actively participate in the recruitment's of the Youth.

At this time we estimate that 30% of the members of the CF are related to soldiers.

To realize it's ambitious plan, the army must find a way to broaden it's recruiting horizon. The cadet movement is a crucial part of this charm operation.

Every way works:

Of course, your children aren't forced to join. They are lured into joining by numerous ways: Weekend camps, learning of First aid, weekly entertainment, outdoor activities, summer camps with remuneration and the possibility of travel.

These perspectives are are particularly attractive to poorer families. How could they refuse their 14 year old kid the opportunity of regular activities and free trips?

How can they say no to paid in Camps In Banff or Germany? How can could they possibly stoop him from starting a well paid career without even finishing secondary school, once cadet formation is over?

Once again, poorer classes are used for the richer one's war.

Insidious recruitment:

As parents, you should know That The DND does not finance these activities in a benevolent gesture. To recruit, the army uses the The youth's sense of duty and desire to help others. 

Believing to be learning to maintain peace and Assist countries in need, the youth are mentally prepared for war by their instructors. The Peacekeeping era is however finished.

The army is now recruiting for the war on terror. After 5 years in the cadets, The teenage has mastered every peripheral abilities to the trade of a soldier. All he needs are a few combat notions to veritably be a soldier.

The Cadets refuse to publish the percentage of their ancients who enlist in the army. Is it because they do not want us to know it is an effective recruitment tool.

Kill or be killed:

As said By PM Harper, the ultimate mission of a Canadian soldier is to kill or be killed. Already 79 soldiers have died in this mission. Does a civilized society has the right to condition it's children for such a perspective.

Even more soldiers come back disabled physically and mentally, they will live at the charge of the ministry of ancient combatants, is it an acceptable possibility for your child?

The position of the USA at the doors Russia, China and India, three countries with the strongest potential for growth in the coming decades. Is it worth the sacrifice of our children's lives?

Military Helicopters, some of the most vulnerable combat vehicles, will be of no help. Instead of playing the minesweeper game, our youth will be the clay pigeon targets for the little portable Ground-air portable missiles used against the soviets (stingers perhaps?)

Against the flow:

We are in a time where a significant number of organisms fight against the recruitment of child soldiers to make war.

But organisms try to ban recruitment of minors, we let our high schools house cadet units.

We allow the Canadian army to sollicit our youth as soon as they exit primary of school. Will we accept that our institutions become sites for ?

Students start acting:

Luckily, since last September, students at the collegial and universitary level have understood ans started to act. They have managed to end recruitment in Cegeps.

They have documented and diffused an impressive quantity of information and made them available to to student associations and teacher syndicates. Operation Objection has managed to considerably reduce military recruitment in our  facilities. But it is only a start.

The CF have millions of dollars to recruit and are still targeting your children. It is now to the parent's turn to act.

I might have made the use of the word Youth a tad too much, but this darn language has no alternatives for "jeunes" ;D

Man says cadets are child soldiers

MedTech says man who says cadets are child soldiers is a fucking dinkwad

Only one of the above statement is true... you decide...

Back