• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Officer Training

B

brad_dennis

Does anyone know how many times a year they run these and when the next one is? The recruiter couldn‘t tell me this info. MOC = Infantry

thanks
B.

As far as I know BOT, and BAOT are run in the spring every year, and then you can move onto Phase II and III right after. The reserve world is changing how they trg officers, so the Phase trg maybe diffrent next summer, but I‘m pretty sure that BOT and BAOT haven‘t changed and start sometime in May.

As of this coming summer, no reserve officer will start phase training. Those who have completed a phase, will finish the remaning phases. All those who have not yet begun thier training will be trained in a new MITCP program. It is intended to turn a civi into a Pl/Tp Comd in one summer (unlike the current 2 - 3 summers).

Moving slightly off track here but:

Interesting. It will now take 1 summer to train a combat arms officer but 2 summers to train a QL3 soldier (with the new BMQ,SQ,MOC format).

Does anyone see the irony here?

Keep in mind that officer training is centered around university students with four months off during the summer. NCM training is centered around high school students with two months off. Even still, I agree with the general sentiment that one summer is not enough time to train civi to the level of a troop commander. If this new program is to work, it should only recruit persons who have completed a QL3 in the related NCM trade.

Just a personal observation, but the quality of the reserve officers who do phase courses seems to be higher then those who don‘t. Is this just me or have other people noticed this too?

I would expect an officer who commands me to do a course at least as hard as the one I have to do to be qualified.

As mentioned previously, a key difference between RESO and MITCP offrs was that RESO offrs were university students, whereas many or most MITCP offrs already had their degrees. Thus, by definition, MITCP offrs were already better educated (and, they usually bring real life experience into the equation, too).
Obviously, since the RESO crses were longer, it could be seen that RESO offrs were better practiced.
However, the bottom line is that it‘s perilous to make generalisations - plus, you‘re only basing your observations upon the offrs whom you‘ve met, and as far as I can tell most of your observations seem to centre upon your unit (engr) - thus, you should be cautious about tarring an entire segment of the offr corps based upon a narrow sample.
In the end, it‘s wisest to judge each individual upon their own merits (just like you‘d want them to judge you, rather than writing you off before they‘ve even met you ... but that‘s just my opinion)

Back