• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Athelets

CDNBlackhawk

Inactive
Reaction score
Does Golfing take the same amount of Atheleticism as other pro sports. Yes or NO

Meh... You can be relatively out of shape and still play golf, you‘d be winded after the front 9 though.

No.

Old geezers in Florida play golf. You hit the ball, get in your cart and drive to where it landed.

Sports such as baseball, football, hockey require much more athleticsm.

I would say no.But i am not saying that golfers aren‘t athletes..Tiger Woods runs 5 miles a day and benches almost 350lbs (he is a special breed of golfer).Im with FT_BRAD on this one, you can still play and not be in the best of shape.In my opinion Baseball is another of the "pasttime" sports so to speak,you don‘t have to be a really fit person to play.

Golf is as much of a sport as chesse. (i don‘t know how to spell, i mean the one with black and white pieces, not the yellow stuff that rats like)

No offense to people who play cheese either :D

That‘s like calling pool a sport. I mean, my god how does that work?

Pool, chess, and golf are games not sports. But thats not to say they‘re not competitive.

Good point...

I guess it is more of a competition.Now that i think about it,anything that doesn‘t involve a team i would say is a competition.

I recently did a poll on espn.com and they consider a few nascar driver as some of the greatest athletes in the world with the likes of Lance Armstrong,Carl Lewis,Wayne Gretzky etc. I know Nascar takes a great amount of concentration and mental toughness but i mean come on you drive around a track and make left turns (no offence race fans).

Where does everyone stand on the Nascar drivers are athletes topic?

In Nascar, would it be illegal to make a device that steers the car for you at the absolute perfect turn angles? lol.

left. left. straight. left. left. straight. left. left. lol

the one thing I‘ll say about golfers is

for them to get paid, they have to show up and play good, if you dont, no money

I find golf to be a game. Take it some games require athletes to play them, but they will never be in my opinion true sports.

Sport:
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
A particular form of this activity.
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
An active pastime; recreation.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sport

so i guess gold IS a sport.

the question wasnt if it was a sport, it was do you you consider them Athelets in the same regards the other sports players.

I think it takes next to No Athleticisim to play golf, granted it takes a lot of skill to master.

I guess it all comes down to what you would consider as "athleticism". It obviously takes a great amount of flexability and coordination but not alot of cardio and strength.Now football,hockey and basketball take a heck of a lot more strength and endurance and even more flexability and coordination then golf.What i am getting at is this is kinda like the argument of the worlds greatest athlete,meaning that everyone will have a different answer and opinion.Like i said in my first post there are a few golfers like Tiger,Weir etc. i would say are good athletes.But the are not even mentioned in the same breath as Olympians and 2 sports Pros like Bo,Deion etc.

Actually Blackhawk, the question We Originally were debating about was not "does golf take the same amount of athelticism as other sports" becasue even I (Dallas) would agree that no it doesn‘t.......the question is simple "does golf take athleticism; yes or no?"

Oh ya.....We can debate all day about what is tougher and requires more "athletisicm, but we wont get to far. Allow me to introduce this to you. Why is it the golf is basically the only sport where the ball is not moving when yoy have to strike it. It sits there all day for you to take your time and do what you may, yet if anyone has tried to take it up realizes that it takes ALONG time to master. I could argue that I could take an individual that has never played baseball or golf and I could teach them to hit a baseball good better and faster than I could teach them how to hit a stationary little white ball :) some food for though hahaha

all ya gotta do spiker33 is read the posts and you will see that the majority of the people here feel the same way i do, Golf takes next to no Athleticism to play. Granted it takes alot of skill to play, but None of it really constitutes athleticism, maybe co-ordination, but thats about it, its does not take strength, does not take speed, does not take endurance. By your definition of an Athelet, that would make the majority of the public who play golf would now be called atheletes. To me an Athelet is someone who shows a complete package of physicality, someone who must workout to stay in TIPTOP shape, so that they can perform well.

I never once said it doesnt take skill to play golf, i just said that i dont belive it takes athelticism.

Here some of my food for thought!!!
Lawn Bowling or Shuffle Board players or a dart player takes skill even a pool player takes skill, Would you now consider them Athelets.

I certaintly wouldnt
And i think if you do, it just goes to show that you got a foot in your mouth.... and just wanna argue with your long time pal about this.

Come on guys everyone knows that the only athlete to play golf was Happy Gilmore :D

This is all fine and dandy and like I said, we could have the debate forever about what degree of skill/athleticism it takes to play golf. My original question still stands "Does golf take athleticism to play, yes or no?" If you say next to none, than you at least recognize that yes it does take even the slightest bit. I would say it takes strength, I would say it takes endurance, I would say it takes Co-ordination. That‘s 3 qualities right there, pretty good I‘d say
I guess the next question is what is the difference between Skill and Athleticism.

Back