• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

army reserves BMQ

safeboy43

Inactive
Reaction score
hey guys I'm 14 and interested in joining the army reserves. A quick question. When you go to basic training for the reserves, is it at St Jean garrison in Quebec or at your local reserve unit? Any response would be appreciated! Thanks.

1... you'll have to wait until you're at least 16 (parental consent) or 17 (on your own)

2... Sigs, Navy and Airforce recruits all go thru St Jean recruit course
"Militia" units / brigades conduct their own recruit schools it their local areas.

Ahh ok thank you...So if the BMQ is in Montreol I'm assuming the training in during the summer so it doesn't interfere with school and such. Correct?

There are currently BMQs for 34brg Group being done in:

Laval & St-Hyacinthe

This is for the part time course. Reservists no longer do any BMQs in St-Jean.

Full time summer happens either in Laval or Val-Cartier.

There is usually a 4-8 day field ex done in Farnham if you don't do your BMQ in Val.

I don't know the localities for the rest of Canada, but if you're near Montreal, that's where it is now. Two years from now I don't know.

BMQs are done in Fall, Winter, Spring & Summer months
They are done part time in Fall, winter & Spring
They are done full time in Summer

BQs & SQs done part time are done on an "every other weekend" basis (as much as possible) you report in on Friday night and go home on Sunday afternoon. You are paid, fed and housed while undergoing training.

Training does not (should not) interfere with academics - but you have to get your s&*$ together in order that it does not interfere.

geo said:
2... Sigs, Navy and Airforce recruits all go thru St Jean recruit course

Sorry to contradict you, but the Comm Res runs its own recruit school during the summer in beautiful, sunny Shilo. 

Cpl Bloggins said:
Sorry to contradict you, but the Comm Res runs its own recruit school during the summer in beautiful, sunny Shilo. 

And If you're wondering about doing a BMQ with a local unit during the winter, or on weekends, with the Sigs....don't count on it.

It happens from time to time, but Comm Res HQ REALLY doesn't like signing off on it.

Really?... OK... still it's the Regular BQ & SQ qualification
same as given in St Jean.

"militia" course is somewhat shorter - editing out some of the repetitive material and stripped of the Admin periods.

geo said:
BMQs are done in Fall, Winter, Spring & Summer months
They are done part time in Fall, winter & Spring
They are done full time in Summer
Oh so is it the basic 11 week course or will it be shorter cause its the reserve?

Reserve BMQ an SQ is 22(?) training days each. Either you do it full time in the summer, or split up during the weekend courses.

Well, the reserve BMQ's don't run the full week during the year. My course that starts next weekend is 20 training days plus one day of harrassment, and abuse training, running every other weekend. During the summer, I think the length is still 20 training days, but it's full time.

The St. John's NL units run a course during the Spring/Easter break, that consists of a week straight, and then every other weekend.

Sig_Des said:
And If you're wondering about doing a BMQ with a local unit during the winter, or on weekends, with the Sigs....don't count on it.

It happens from time to time, but Comm Res HQ REALLY doesn't like signing off on it.

It's all circumstances... myself and a certain lineman both did it.

geo said:
Really?... OK... still it's the Regular BQ & SQ qualification
same as given in St Jean.

"militia" course is somewhat shorter - editing out some of the repetitive material and stripped of the Admin periods.

Nope :) It would be nice to have it to reg force standards, but my BMQ and SQ were 4 weeks each, same as in the militia, and as far as I know nothing has changed.

Just a Sig Op said:
It's all circumstances... myself and a certain lineman both did it.

Bud, I know you, and the certain lineman!  :p I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare. Comm res really doesn't like doing it, that's why we have the school in shi....I mean, shilo

I'm a bus driver in Guelph full time. I'd like to join the reserves but I don't want to go through BMQ every other weekend. I've been authorized to take a leave of absence from May to the end of August to accomplish my training. How much can I complete and where would I be assigned for this training?  I'd like to join with the Fusiliers.

ELLIS said:
I'm a bus driver in Guelph full time. I'd like to join the reserves but I don't want to go through BMQ every other weekend. I've been authorized to take a leave of absence from May to the end of August to accomplish my training. How much can I complete and where would I be assigned for this training?  I'd like to join with the Fusiliers.
Well.... all things being equal:
it is possible to "run" thru infantry training between May & August
BQ (20) + SQ (20) + DP1TQ(20) for a total of 60 days.... however, it all depends on if they are willing to offer that option.
One thing is certain, you'd have to have finished paperwork and be enrolled well in advance...
Recommend you drop in to the Fusiliers and ask....
worse they can do is say.... NO

I believe you can do your BMQ and SQ full time through the summer, then do your BIQ the next summer.

The big determining factor will be your recruiting process. The sooner that is completed, the sooner the unit you
join can have you loaded onto a summer BMQ, and give you exact dates for training.

Conquistador said:
I believe you can do your BMQ and SQ full time through the summer, then do your BIQ the next summer.

You can do BMQ, SQ an BIQ in one summer; I know a guy who did this last year.

Back