• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Light Recce Vehicle for PRes Armd? (Merged splits from LAV III MGS and from TAPV)

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I would love to see some of the reserve armoured units get a tracked light recce vehicle, but even if there was the interest and the money there is not much really being offered. The light tanks seems to have been taken over by the IFV. 

There was a light tracked recce vehicle offered with the 25mm chaingun, looked a lot like a modern M3 Stuart. 

Lots of things I'd like to see in the Reserves.  But without maintenance resources it won't happen.

Best solution would be a erturn to the split Armd Corps - those units within 100km or so of a Reg F base withe the kit would be trained on the same kit as the Reg F, maintained at the same base - and can conduct sub-sub unit trg with their Reg F counterparts, ready for augmentation tasks.  The remaining units can train on other kit, most likely MOTS vehicles, for other roles.

dapaterson said:
Lots of things I'd like to see in the Reserves.  But without maintenance resources it won't happen.

Best solution would be a erturn to the split Armd Corps - those units within 100km or so of a Reg F base withe the kit would be trained on the same kit as the Reg F, maintained at the same base - and can conduct sub-sub unit trg with their Reg F counterparts, ready for augmentation tasks.  The remaining units can train on other kit, most likely MOTS vehicles, for other roles.

That would make some sense, and as such, not likely to happen.  Then again, it might bring about the reactivation of the Princess Louise Dragoon Guards in Ottawa.........but that is a whole different topic altogether. 

I remember when I first joined and even up to a few years back, the regiment (12RBC) would "hold" the vehicles for the reserve units (RCH, 12RBC, SHER H) and would maintain/use them during the week and prep them for weekend exercises.

I thought that made sense as the reserve units don't have the man power to maintain them, as we all know.

As for tracks vs. wheeled?  That debate has been and will go on for years!!  I can't believe we have a recce vehicle that is too big, high and can't swim. 

I started life as a tanker and joined just as the Lynx disappeared.  I would have played more with that platform, added a 20mm and mast to the back of it.  It swam, was small and quick and it shared components with the M113 series.

My two cents.

George Wallace said:
Then again, it might bring about the reactivation of the Princess Louise Dragoon Guards in Ottawa

Isn't reactivating a certain northern Alberta regiment far more important than that?

Bzzliteyr said:
I started life as a tanker and joined just as the Lynx disappeared.  I would have played more with that platform, added a 20mm and mast to the back of it.  It swam, was small and quick and it shared components with the M113 series.

The Dutch put 20mm on theirs, on a pedestal mount similar to Marder, and they tended to fall over during fast turns.

They may have still been able to swim, but probably gun-down/tracks up.

George Wallace said:
That would make some sense, and as such, not likely to happen.  Then again, it might bring about the reactivation of the Princess Louise Dragoon Guards in Ottawa.........but that is a whole different topic altogether.

Nope - the R de Hull can get to Petawawa just fine.

Loachman said:
The Dutch put 20mm on theirs, on a pedestal mount similar to Marder, and they tended to fall over during fast turns.

They may have still been able to swim, but probably gun-down/tracks up.

The mount on the Lynx was a 20mm mount.  We were too cheap to buy the 20's, and mounted .50 Cal instead.

Now you are talking of a Unit crossing Area boundaries.  R du H belong to SQFT, not LFCA.  That, no doubt, would raise the ire of LFCA units.

Loachman said:
Isn't reactivating a certain northern Alberta regiment far more important than that?

javascript:void(0);

The SALH would fill the bill, being in Edmonton already.  They could probably take up some corner of the LdSH (RC) lines and parade there, rather than in their current location.

See, when I am king, there will be a single Res Bde spanning from Mtl to Brockville.  So there will be no problem.

Alternatively, in the near term, put all NCR Res units under 33 CBG - so the R de Hull is in "Ontario" - just like Thunder Bay isn't in Ontario...

RdeHull, one of "my" units is supported by Uplands for vehicle repairs etc.. yet belongs to SQFT and reports to me in Montreal.

They do a lot of training in Connaught so I am thinking Meaford would not be a tough go.  Show up on a Friday, sign for RCD "cars" and go break them all!  Very simple stuff.

George Wallace said:

The SALH would fill the bill, being in Edmonton already.  They could probably take up some corner of the LdSH (RC) lines and parade there, rather than in their current location.

- The 'SA' in SALH is 'South Alberta'.  Consolidating them in The 'Hat and re-constituting 19 AD would make sense.

- We asked about 20mm cannon for Lynx in the mid-eighties, since that is what the mount was built for, and in fact was used for on the varietal US M114 C&R.  Interestingly, the Canadian Bobcat APC project floundered over the delays caused by the development of Depleted Uranium ammunition for it's intended 20mm.  The Cdn DU research was passed on to the Americans, to good effect...

- Anyway, we asked for some 20mm about the early to mid 1980s, hoping, I guess, that a few Pontiac M39A2 might fall off an Air Weapons Tech truck behind a Voodoo or a CF-5...  Eventually, we were told the 20mm's in storage had 'cracked receivers'.

George Wallace said:

Hey - my carefully-thought-out text disappeared when I hit "send", and I cannot remember what I said.

Editted to say "
George Wallace said:

Hey - my carefully-thought-out text disappeared when I hit "send", and I cannot remember what I said.

Editted to say "
George Wallace said:

Editted to say "Hey - my carefully-thought-out text disappeared when I hit "send", and I cannot remember what I said".

George Wallace said:

- Some poor Sally living in Mill Woods would have a hundred km commute every Tuesday night if they did that.

- Besides, the Strathcona ORBAT gets any bigger, they will need to be asking the SALH for parade space...

TCBF said:
Besides, the Strathcona ORBAT gets any bigger, they will need to be asking the SALH for parade space...

How does their ORBAT compare to 12RBC and RCD? I understood the Strats to be no bigger than the other 2 regiments, not including E Coy (PPCLI), but even that shouldn't throw the balance out of whack.

LdSH, as the unit primarily tasked with force generation of tank crews, will have a different ORBAT and pers entitlement compared to the other Reg F Armd units.  Similarly, 1 CER as the slole holders of AEVs will be different from the other Reg F CERs.

Take the Milcot pickup, put the optional tracks on it in place of the wheels, mount a hatch on the roof and there is your "Militia tank"  ;D

http://www.mattracks.com/index.htm

There's no sense looking at vehicle, or anything else, until the Corp decides to define a role and supply a suitable doctrine. Right now, Reserve Armour has neither.

Back