• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Acronym "XE"

dfuller52

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently saw a copy of a Canadian service record from 1939-1945 that used the acronym XE as a unit.

Can anyone tell me what this was?

dfuller52 said:
I recently saw a copy of a Canadian service record from 1939-1945 that used the acronym XE as a unit.

Did a quick google and it was apparently the unit code for No. 6 Squadron

No 6 Sqn

Edit: After looking over wiki, it seems that No 6 Sqn was active during the years you mentioned.  I believe this may be the best bet based off of both links.

No 6 Sqn RCAF

dfuller52 said:

The "X" list was the designation given to identify non-effective personnel.  Examples include soldiers under long term medical care, soldiers under sentence (in military prisons), soldiers who were prisoners of war, soldiers who were missing, etc.  The different categories were identified by a second character after the "X."  Unfortunately I don't have a copy of a contemporaneous "X" list available that I could look up for you.

Perhaps if you could explain the context of the service record entry, that would help.

Cheers,
Dan.

According to wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Royal_Canadian_Air_Force

Domestic RCAF Squadron codes, 1939-45

Squadron codes notes
1 fighter
2 KO army co-operation
3 OP bomber / recon OTU
4 FY, BO 1939-42, 42-45, coastal patrol
5 QN, DE 1939-41, 42-45, coastal patrol
6 XE coastal patrol
7 FG torpedo bomber, coastal patrol
8 YO bomber
9 KA, HJ 1939-41, 42-45, coastal patrol
10 PB, JK 1939-41, 42-45, coastal patrol
11 OY, KL 1939-41, coastal patrol
12 QE communications
13 MK, AP 1939-41, 42-45,
14 AQ fighter, photographic
111 TM, LZ 1939-41, 42-45, fighter
115 BK, UV 1939-41, 42-45, coastal patrol
117 EX, PQ coastal patrol
118 RE, VW 1939-41, 42-45, fighter
119 DM, GR 1939-41, 42-45, bomber
120 MX, RS coastal patrol
123 VD fighter
125 BA fighter
126 BV fighter
127 TF fighter
128 RA fighter
129 HA fighter
130 AE fighter
132 ZR fighter
133 FN fighter
135 XP fighter
145 EA coastal patrol
147 SZ bomber
149 ZM torpedo bomber

Does that table not refer to the letters painted on the fuselage to one side of the roundel, with another letter painted on the other side of the roundel to indicate the aircraft's designation in the squadron? In this case it would appear XE (Roundel) A for example.

I had wondered about the X establishment as well, which I believe, was a Canadian Army device for posting people to so they could be replaced in units.

From Library and ArchivesCanada    List of Abbreviations Used in Military Service Files  -  "X"

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-909.011.023-e.html
Abbreviation                            Meaning
X-1                                        Prisoners of war (verified)
X-10                                      All reinforcement personnel attached away from reinforcement units under appropriate authority
X-10LGLB                            X-10 List General List B
X-11                                      All Red Cross and Auxiliary services personnel
X-12                                      At depot awaiting discharge
X-1POW(D)                          X-1 Prisoners of War (Dieppe)
X-2                                        All ranks under sentence of detention, imprisonment or penal servitude - except in cases where sentence is suspended before committal - and all ranks under sentence of field punishment when such sentence is required to be served elsewhere than the unit to
X-3                                        All ranks evacuated on medical grounds behind Regimental Aid Posts
X-4                                        Unposted reinforcements in the theatre of war belonging to the unit or corps
X-4L                                      X-4 List
X-4LFHQ(CMF)                    X-4 List Formation Headquarters (Central Mediterranean Force)
X-5                                        All ranks on courses of twenty-one days or over in the theatre of war
X-6                                        All ranks posted as missing
X-7                                        All ranks seconded from the Canadian Army to other Allied Forces in the theatre of war
X-8                                        All non-effective held at Base Reinforcement Units whose return to the UK has been authorized
X-8L21AG                            X-8 List 21 Army Group
X-8LCMF&AAI&AFHQ        X-8 List Central Mediterranean Force & Allied Armies in Italy & Allied Forces Headquarters
X-9                                        All personnel held at Base Reinforcement Units, who, for one reason or another, are not available as reinforcements and whose disposition is still to be decided
X-9L21AG                            X-9 List 21 Army Group
X-9LCMF&AAI&AFHQ        X-9 List Central Mediterranean Force & Allied Armies in Italy & Air Force Headquarters
XB                                          Halifax-Boston convoy
XDO                                      Extended Defence Officer
X-L"A"RCA                          X-List "A" Royal Canadian Artillery
X-L(RCCS)                            X-List (Royal Canadian Corps of Signals)
X-L(UK)GL                            X-List (United Kingdom) General List
X-LCAC                                X-List Canadian Armoured Corps
X-LCDC                                X-List Canadian Dental Company
X-LCIC(CMF)                      X-List Canadian Intelligence Corps (Central Mediterranean Force)
X-LCMSC                              X-List Corps of Military Staff Clerks
X-LCoftheRCE                      X-List Corps of the Royal Canadian Engineers
X-LCPC                                X-List Canadian Postal Corps
X-LCProC                              X-List Canadian Provost Corps
X-LCSGHQECMFD              X-List Canadian Section General Headquarters Echelon, Central Mediterranean Force Detachment
X-LCWAC                              X-List Canadian Women's Army Corps
XLG(CMF)                            "X" List General (Central Mediterranean Force)
X-L-GL                                  X-List - General List
X-LGL(O)                              X-List General List (Officers)
X-LGLSuppPtIIO                  X-List General List Supplementary Part II Orders
X-List                                    List maintained by Units of Prisoners of War & Officers & Other Ranks who are missing due to enemy action
X-LofCL                                X-List of Canloan List
X-LRC                                  X-List Red Cross
X-LRCA                                X-List Royal Canadian Artillery 
X-LRCA(A/TkR)                  X-List Royal Canadian Artillery (Anti-Tank Regiments)
X-LRCA(AAR)                      X-List Royal Canadian Artillery (Anti-Artillery Regiments) 
X-LRCA(MR)                        X-List Royal Canadian Artillery (Medium Regiments)
X-LRCA(SR)                        X-List Royal Canadian Artillery (Survey Regiments)
X-LRCAMC                          X-List Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps
X-LRCAPC                            X-List Royal Canadian Army Pay Corps
X-LRCAS"B"                        X-List Royal Canadian Artillery Section "B"
X-LRCASC                            X-List Royal Canadian Army Service Corps
X-LRCASCBCBRD                X-List Royal Canadian Army Service Corps Battalion, Canadian Base Reinforcement Depot
X-LRCE                                  X-List Royal Canadian Engineers
X-LRCEME                            X-List Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
X-LRCOC                              X-List Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps
X-LtoC"Q"L                          X-List to Canadian "Q" List
X-NAL                                    X-North Africa List
XO                                          Executive Officer
XV                                          Examination Vessels

There is no "XE" on this list, but that doesn't mean much.  The question was probably not yet raised (or raised often) to LAC.  Like many military abbreviations or acronyms, it could have been developed "locally" and while obvious to the originator (and others familiar with the circumstances) can cause scratching of one's head (or arse, depending on the proclivity of the reader).  Much would depend on the context in which it was used.

Sorry all, I was working from memory of an army record I saw more than a week ago. It was, in fact, X3, and the man's service record, which had several infractions and hospital stints on it, seems to jive with the x-list provided, so thanks for that.

So, if I am understanding correctly, it was an administrative designation, rather than a unit or posting location.

The person asking me for assistance admitted that the man involved was a "bit of a screw-up".

dfuller52 said:
So, if I am understanding correctly, it was an administrative designation, rather than a unit or posting location.

Correct.

Cheers,
Dan.

Back