• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WWII Photograph, England, Help Identifying

opdsigop

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

Hoping for some help from those more knowledgeable in Canadian Military History in learning more about a particular photograph. I suspect there is a chance that the subject is my grandfather, and am trying to get a more definitive indication of whether that is likely the case.

My Grandfather's Record of Service indicates that on the date the following photograph was taken (18 OCT 1941) he was on "Motorcyclist Course Att'd to 1 Coy BT Depot FAP. He later went on to be a Motorcycle Instructor at Aldershot. So it would appear he is in the right place at the right time.

Photograph:

Enhanced version:

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with any part of his uniform that might help me? I am not familiar with the light coloured band around his beret, the light coloured strip on his shoulder, that might offer some clues? Is anyone familiar with any standard approaches or resources that I could use at LAC or elsewhere to investigate further?

Realize there isn't much to go on here, but thought I'd ask in case some insights could be gleaned!

Thank you very much in advance.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with any part of his uniform that might help me? I am not familiar with the light coloured band around his beret, the light coloured strip on his shoulder, that might offer some clues? Is anyone familiar with any standard approaches or resources that I could use at LAC or elsewhere to investigate further?

The white band around his field service cap (it's not a beret) and the strip on his shoulder strap indicates that the individual is an "officer cadet".

My Grandfather's Record of Service indicates that on the date the following photograph was taken (18 OCT 1941) he was on "Motorcyclist Course Att'd to 1 Coy BT Depot FAP. He later went on to be a Motorcycle Instructor at Aldershot. So it would appear he is in the right place at the right time.

Welcome to the forum.

First off, great photograph. Would it be possible for you to provide more details of your Grandfather's record of service? Possibly a copy of the actual document? The more information you provide will result in a more detailed response, particularly the details from prior to Oct '41.

The cubed square on the front fender indicates it's from a school or training establishment. The circle is the bridge classification.

HTH.

The white band around his field service cap (it's not a beret) and the strip on his shoulder strap indicates that the individual is an "officer cadet".

Though I haven't yet found any photos of the Canadian Officer Cadet Training Unit (O.C.T.U.) showing cadets with that particular insignia, there are numerous images of cadets at British OCTUs, such as these:

Wearing field service caps (more common during the earlier war years).

1698967732255.png

1698967847763.png The gentleman in the centre, despite the white band around his cap, is not a cadet. He is RSM Brittain; the white band is indicative of his regiment, the Coldstream Guards. Mr Brittain was well known as both a soldier and, later, an occasional actor.

As berets became a more common item during the war, a white disk behind the cap badge became the identifying mark of those training to become officers.

1698967930692.png 1698967559239.png

It was not limited to the Second World War. During the Great War, officer cadets also wore a white band around their caps.

1698970114939.png

And it continued well after the war.

1698967419864.png

Right up to the 1980s (and maybe beyond). When I went through BOTC in Chilliwack in the 1980s, we wore white plastic behind our cap badges, trimmed to the shape of the regiment/branch badge but larger so it was visible.

A Canadian Army historical report about the O.C.T.U.

Interesting I worked with the BOTC in Chilliwack, mid 1980's don't recall the white background. Just the Cornflake I think on their Beret?

Interesting I worked with the BOTC in Chilliwack, mid 1980's don't recall the white background. Just the Cornflake I think on their Beret?

While ROTP officer cadets (less the Milcol types who have their own badge) may have worn the cornflake (I didn't do BOTC during the summer when they would have been there, so I don't know), the DEOs and OCTPs wore the branch badge according to their MOC. The OCTP(M)s - us unwashed and uneducated who came from the ranks - also wore collar dogs in service dress (back then in the pre-DEU days of the common green suit when all wore collar badges). Those who came from civvy street first wore their collar dogs on grad parade as well as dropped the white backing and for the DEOs put up their 2nd Lt stripe. The OCTPs had to wait until completion of phase training to be commissioned.

BOTC2.jpg

Back