• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ack Ack Formation

Rifleman62 said:
Loose File it may be, but Ack Ack was what I was taught on Group I in 1964. Usually used for walking up roads during a move, WWII style. Ack Ack Platoon, leapfrogged the sections forward.

We still had a lot of WWII Vets in, who absolutely insisted to get off the objective as soon as it was cleared. They were fanatical about it from the bitter experience of being stonked by the Germans.

Same term in 76. Our RSM and one of the CSM were WW2 and Korean Vets

Or, it may be from Bill the Cat, who says ACK!  all the time.

Kat Stevens said:
Or, it may be from Bill the Cat, who says ACK!  all the time.

...but then it would be "ACK, Phhhht, ACK, Phhhht" formation...  ???

Rifleman62 said:
Loose File it may be, but Ack Ack was what I was taught on Group I in 1964. Usually used for walking up roads during a move, WWII style. Ack Ack Platoon, leapfrogged the sections forward.

We still had a lot of WWII Vets in, who absolutely insisted to get off the objective as soon as it was cleared. They were fanatical about it from the bitter experience of being stonked by the Germans.

I was taught AA formation in the RCA Depot in 1958 as moving with section and platoon HQ alternated on opposite sides of the road to make a difficult target for strafing. And the Canadian Army was adamant that troops get off the objective into a defensive position as the Germans always mounted local counter-attacks as soon as possible to drive the attackers back. Some battalions learned to have companies attack with a few troops because the enemy would abandon the position, planning to recapture it as our guys were re-organizing. Having a fresh force with bags of Bren guns to meet them should have taught them a lesson, but the record shows they never did.

Hi there,

When I was in the Army Cadets we used the ack ack formation during route marches or patrol. Squad leader puts both arms up at 90 degrees and pump the fists. The squad would separate, odd person go left even person go right to the side of the road, path etc.

2FER said:
Hi there,

When I was in the Army Cadets we used the ack ack formation during route marches or patrol. Squad leader puts both arms up at 90 degrees and pump the fists. The squad would separate, odd person go left even person go right to the side of the road, path etc.

Cool story

Back