• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

On the impact of indictments....

perhaps the most important thing is the very human phenomenon of people supporting their guy when he's attacked.

Trump polls shot upward after indictments started​

by Byron York, Chief Political Correspondent
December 18, 2023 12:37 PM

TRUMP POLLS SHOT UPWARD AFTER INDICTMENTS STARTED. Sometimes the poll numbers for former President Donald Trump look downright crazy. Over the weekend, Fox News released a new national survey that showed Trump leading the Republican presidential race with 69% support, as opposed to 12% for Ron DeSantis and 9% for Nikki Haley. It was amazing, but it wasn't crazy. The Fox poll was in line with other polls showing Trump with sky-high national support.

Meanwhile, the Haley campaign is excited about a new CBS News poll showing the former South Carolina governor gaining on Trump in New Hampshire. The poll found Trump with 44% and Haley with 29% — a 15-point difference that qualifies as a horse race in this political season. More about that later.

One notable thing about Trump's national lead, now 50.6 points over DeSantis in the RealClearPolitics average of polls, is that it appears to have been turbocharged by the indictments, federal and local, against the former president. Without the indictments, there is no telling where the GOP race would be today.

Look at the last day the national race was close, or relatively close: March 27 of this year, when Trump led DeSantis in the RealClearPoliticsaverage by 15 points, 44% to 29%. Just days later, Trump was indicted for the first time, by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, and his poll numbers rose sharply. By April 20, just three weeks later, Trump had risen 10 points to 54%. In the same time, DeSantis fell 7 points, to 22%. Trump's lead over DeSantis had more than doubled, courtesy of Bragg.

In the months that followed, Trump was indicted four more times, twice by special counsel Jack Smith, who was appointed by the Biden Justice Department, and once by Fani Willis, the district attorney of Fulton County, Georgia. Through it all, Trump's poll standing rose, from 44 points in late March to 54 points in late April to 58 points in September to 63 points today. Yes, his support has bumped up and down a little in that time, but Trump has not been below 50% support nationally since he first passed that mark on April 4 of this year.

What has happened can only be called an enormous backfire for those Democrats and Never Trumpers who thought indicting Trump would bring him down. As far as the Republican polls are concerned, it has done just the opposite. Now, some Democrats and Never Trumpers believe that convicting Trump, at least once, will bring him down. Maybe they're right. But maybe they're not.

There's a lot going on here, but perhaps the most important thing is the very human phenomenon of people supporting their guy when he's attacked. It's tribal or it's how teams work or whatever, but it's entirely normal for people on a team to rally to the support of their leader when the leader is attacked by the other team. That's just what happens.

Yes, there are other factors involved
in Trump's super-high poll numbers. For one, he is running as an incumbent president, which, of course, he is not, but nevertheless, a lot of Republicans appear to accept him as the incumbent in the race. He also has been president before, and many Republicans have a positive impression of his time in the White House. And Trump remains a unique performer on the campaign trail, a bigger personality than anyone pursuing him. Still, it appears to have been the indictments that were the booster rockets for Trump's present standing in the Republican race.

One last note, about the New Hampshire poll. The CBS survey shows a big jump for Haley, who was at 11% in the last CBS poll in mid-September and is at 29% today. Her new rating is higher than other polls have found, but it appears to measure the visible progress she has been making lately, plus the influence of her endorsement by Gov. Chris Sununu (R-NH).

Of course, even if the CBS poll is spot on, Haley is still 15 points behind Trump. It is also fair to say that Trump has not paid a lot of attention to New Hampshire lately — he's been stepping up his attention to Iowa in recent days — but that might be changing. This weekend, Trump made his first trip to New Hampshire in quite a while. If polls continue to show Haley closing on him, do not be surprised to see Trump heading north again soon.

For a deeper dive into many of the topics covered in the Daily Memo, please listen to my podcast, The Byron York Show — available on Radio America and the Ricochet Audio Network and everywhere else podcasts can be found.

While I don't expect he'll be leg shackled and cuffed, perp walked through a crowded airport in broad daylight, like Navarro, I do wonder when Garland will do his job and arrest H. Biden. Or will he? He's getting into quite the pickle. If everything they are finding is true, he's looking at double digits in prison. Something he's not capable of enduring. He is sleazy enough to flip on daddy though. Now, that would take Trump off the front page.

While I don't expect he'll be leg shackled and cuffed, perp walked through a crowded airport in broad daylight, like Navarro, I do wonder when Garland will do his job and arrest H. Biden. Or will he? He's getting into quite the pickle. If everything they are finding is true, he's looking at double digits in prison. Something he's not capable of enduring. He is sleazy enough to flip on daddy though. Now, that would take Trump off the front page.
Except Senator Graham has been clear there is zero evidence that there is anything on POTUS, nor any linkage for business dealings.

Meanwhile Trump is praising Putin and likening himself to Al Capone…

Hunter Biden’s arraignment is scheduled for January 11th. Presumably he’ll be arrested and booked then, as seems to be SOP for a ‘turn-self-in’ surrender and arraignment.

Trump can only be a dictator if the civil service, courts, armed forces, and to a lesser extent establishment media all fall in line to support him. Didn't happen last time; won't happen if there is a next time.

Trump can only be a dictator if the civil service, courts, armed forces, and to a lesser extent establishment media all fall in line to support him. Didn't happen last time; won't happen if there is a next time.
Exactly. This is just more democrat hyperbole.

Except Senator Graham has been clear there is zero evidence that there is anything on POTUS, nor any linkage for business dealings.

Meanwhile Trump is praising Putin and likening himself to Al Capone…
I said nothing about Biden Sr. Navarro refused his supoena at got shackled and perp walked. I'm wondering how Garland is going to handle Hunter's arrest for the same thing. IF he's arrested, which remains to be seen. I think the DOJ will protect Hunter right to the end. I don't know how Trump belongs in this point.

Lindsay Graham is a snake that flip flops like a fish in a forest.

Last edited:
The Colorado Supreme Court has ruled in a 4-3 decision that Donald Trump is ineligible for presidency of the United States under the 14th amendment. Looks like they’ve further ruled that, for this reason, he cannot be on a primary ballot in Colorado. They’ve stayed their own decision until Jan 4th to allow appellate action to commence, meaning this will be on a fast path to SCOTUS. I’ve not yet read the decision.

Colorado Republican presidential primary is on March 5th. Colorado went Democrat in the 2020 presidential election by a significant margin. The most significant outcome of this decision will be to send the question of Trump’s presidential eligibility to SCOTUS before primaries season. I’d personally be surprised to see this decision upheld at SCOTUS due to the sheer magnitude of it if they do.

Hunter Biden’s arraignment is scheduled for January 11th. Presumably he’ll be arrested and booked then, as seems to be SOP for a ‘turn-self-in’ surrender and arraignment.
Isn't that pretty normal for white collar crimes with a cooperating defendant? He was already plea bargaining on the crimes anyway before that deal got yanked at the 11th hour for whatever reason.

Isn't that pretty normal for white collar crimes with a cooperating defendant? He was already plea bargaining on the crimes anyway before that deal got yanked at the 11th hour for whatever reason.

Yes it is. You’re given a date, you surrender on that date to be charged. There have been a few fairly high profile cases of that in recent months.

The Colorado Supreme Court has ruled in a 4-3 decision that Donald Trump is ineligible for presidency of the United States under the 14th amendment. Looks like they’ve further ruled that, for this reason, he cannot be on a primary ballot in Colorado. They’ve stayed their own decision until Jan 4th to allow appellate action to commence, meaning this will be on a fast path to SCOTUS. I’ve not yet read the decision.

Colorado Republican presidential primary is on March 5th. Colorado went Democrat in the 2020 presidential election by a significant margin. The most significant outcome of this decision will be to send the question of Trump’s presidential eligibility to SCOTUS before primaries season. I’d personally be surprised to see this decision upheld at SCOTUS due to the sheer magnitude of it if they do.

Full decision can be found here.

When was Trump tried and convicted of being an insurrectionist?

NCSC just tossed the challenge based on the 14th Amendment.

Last edited:
Back