• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

He is husbanding his details to avoid giving his opponents time and space to attack him. "Bringing defence of Canada home" is a good line. Works with a lot of people's "anti-US" feelings and turning it into something concrete. He may also be prepping the public for more money for defence, while cutting back elsewhere.

Initial coverage of PP's AFN speech ....
"Poilievre promises less interference, more economic control in speech to Assembly of First Nations" (cbc.ca)
.... and the full speech from CPAC via YT (~44 minutes)

Initial coverage of PP's AFN speech ....
"Poilievre promises less interference, more economic control in speech to Assembly of First Nations" (cbc.ca)
.... and the full speech from CPAC via YT (~44 minutes)

I see a bunch there turned their backs on him during his speech.

From the article ....
View attachment 86491
We'll see how he/Team Blue plans to "work towards meeting Canada's NATO spending commitment" - maybe more details during the election campaign proper? 🍿
If we are trying to depend less on the US for homeland defence, 2% will not be even close to the requirement.

That is a NATO benchmark, not an “independent defence of Canada” benchmark.

Edit to add: “Bringing home defence” sounds good on social media, but isn’t that what NORAD is all about?

Last edited:
Which party has held the levers of power for the majority of the history of this country? Why is it assumed that all the FN problems should be laid at the feet of the PC/CPC?
Trust me, Team Red envoys appearing at these meetings get raked over the coals too (as recently as yesterday, in fact) - now, in the past, and in the future. As the bearer of the blue flag, not surprising some remember less-than-sterling moments from previous Team Blue governments. With a consituency so wide-ranging in terms of both capacity AND relevant issue sets & environments, even solutions that would help, say, 80% of communities (a good number for a one-size-fits-most approach common in Ottawa for this & other files) would still lead to hearing from the others. And often loudly.

Which party has held the levers of power for the majority of the history of this country? Why is it assumed that all the FN problems should be laid at the feet of the PC/CPC?
It’s just because Tories=cuts=broken rice bowls

I know the Tyee skews farther left than many in this forum would normally read, but the important point that I wanted to highlight was from Nik Nanos:

Does that mean it is a slam dunk that Pierre Poilievre will be Canada’s next prime minister?

“Absolutely not,” Nanos says. “If Pierre Poilievre makes a mistake, his drop will be hard and fast. And that is true if anyone next to him makes a mistake. I think the Conservatives have to realize that it’s not that they’re winning, it’s that the Liberals are losing. It is not a validation of Conservative policy.”

In essence, sort of like how Labour won in the UK - it wasn’t so much that they were doing super well, just that the Tories were doing so badly.

I know the Tyee skews farther left than many in this forum would normally read, but the important point that I wanted to highlight was from Nik Nanos:

In essence, sort of like how Labour won in the UK - it wasn’t so much that they were doing super well, just that the Tories were doing so badly.
Another diaper-change election.

A friend of mine was visited by a CPC team at her door step today. She wasn't too impressed with the effort. The man identified as the CPC candidate for her riding basically stood there and imitated her porch post. The rest of the team just flung slogans with no answers to her questions such as "Who is going to build the homes? What is your plan for justice? How are you going to make immigrants lives better?"

As we get closer to the election, I really really hope that smarter people in the party are doing the hard work to come up with solutions and not just spout slogans with no plan.

Do better guys and gals.

A friend of mine was visited by a CPC team at her door step today. She wasn't too impressed with the effort. The man identified as the CPC candidate for her riding basically stood there and imitated her porch post. The rest of the team just flung slogans with no answers to her questions such as "Who is going to build the homes? What is your plan for justice? How are you going to make immigrants lives better?"

As we get closer to the election, I really really hope that smarter people in the party are doing the hard work to come up with solutions and not just spout slogans with no plan.

Do better guys and gals.
“Well obviously we need to keep our powder dry until the election”

Also, it’s interesting that “slogans with no answers” is what the right uses to criticize the left.

Some real deep reasoning there from Nik Nanos... Who knew elections can be thrown away right up until the end.

I mean Nik is def play 4D chess here...

He should have just quoted one of the greatest catchers in the games history and saved us all time.

Attachments

• 150923083509-05-berra-quote.jpg
    150923083509-05-berra-quote.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 8
Some real deep reasoning there from Nik Nanos... Who knew elections can be thrown away right up until the end.

I mean Nik is def play 4D chess here...

He should have just quoted one of the greatest catchers in the games history and saved us all time.
I was more talking about the CPC gaining not because of their policy but because the LPC is losing, but sure.

He is husbanding his details to avoid giving his opponents time and space to attack him. "Bringing defence of Canada home" is a good line. Works with a lot of people's "anti-US" feelings and turning it into something concrete. He may also be prepping the public for more money for defence, while cutting back elsewhere.
Not a huge PP fan, but he brings up the absurdity of the “we don’t need to spend on defence we have the US” argument from people who regularly vilify the US.

Pretty sure that Pierre will win the next election, here is one of two scenarios my crystal ball tells me....

1. Status quo. He gets in with a majority, passes a few bills and makes some minor changes, but all in all, government still swells and spending continues going full retard and no real changes. Thats called 4 years to mandatory retirement for Pierre.

2. He follows through with his ideas and suggestions
-No new spending without saving elsewhere
-STOP giving billions to unsustainable industry (i.e. EV)
-Enforce home building with bonus for early completion and penalty for late building
-ALLOW or ENABLE the energy sector to go full throttle
-Match immigration to our infrastructure and society growth
-Reduce federal government work force (start with early retirements and attrition)
-STOP the failed safely supply and harm reduction (Big failure)
-STOP spending money on wasteful studies on hate, diversity, etc. (They are all BS studies, lets be honest)
-STOP the easy bail for criminals
-He probably has ideas on defence spending but not revealing yet

If he does those promises, I think he will be at least an 8 year Prime Minister

Back