• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

I'd agree with you if we didn't have a FPTP system, unfortunately it's devolved into the eternal flip between LPC and CPC.
Yeah, it is what it is at the end of the day.

I would prefer some form of PR to be implemented, but the two main parties have vested interests in avoiding diluting their power.

I'd agree with you if we didn't have a FPTP system, unfortunately it's devolved into the eternal flip between LPC and CPC.
Look at Australia. They don't have FPTP yet it's really only Liberal vs Labour.

What would be the problem with a Brian Mulroney like PC party? I mean I didn't like the corruption, patronage and fiscal mismanagement, but I hope the CPC returns to an electable position to provide an alternative to the LPC. This last election was the first time I voted Conservative since Mulroney
To be fair, corruption, patronage and fiscal mismanagement were SOP under Chretien as well. Mulroney, for all his faults, brought in the GST and free trade which helped balance the y.

To be fair, corruption, patronage and fiscal mismanagement were SOP under Chretien as well. Mulroney, for all his faults, brought in the GST and free trade which helped balance the y.
Reading this thread has been kinda depressing to me as someone who wants to have the two main parties be an option for 20% of the electorate to switch between. It seems to me that many people want the CPC to be a version of the Christian Heritage Party or the PPC when they already exist

What would be the problem with a Brian Mulroney like PC party? I mean I didn't like the corruption, patronage and fiscal mismanagement, but I hope the CPC returns to an electable position to provide an alternative to the LPC. This last election was the first time I voted Conservative since Mulroney
I think it is sad that the party was able to bring people like you (and me) back to voting for them only to push them out again.

I think it is sad that the party was able to bring people like you (and me) back to voting for them only to push them out again

I don’t see myself returning any time soon to a “C” party unless:

A) the PCs are reformed, or

B) the CPC sorts itself out to become a party for Canadians who disagree with an overreaching ultra-progressive agenda of the LPC, vice a party for an increasingly extreme retrenchment party more interested in having a robust echo-chamber to serve the party members.

I don’t see myself returning any time soon to a “C” party unless:

A) the PCs are reformed, or

B) the CPC sorts itself out to become a party for Canadians who disagree with an overreaching ultra-progressive agenda of the LPC, vice a party for an increasingly extreme retrenchment party more interested in having a robust echo-chamber to serve the party members.
I always adopt a wait and see approach and for me campaigns matter.

But I am of the same mind with your point A. And your point B is also well taken.

Gerrymandering? By who? Elections Canada? Did they make it so the ridings disproportionately favored the LPC?
Not just western Canada, pretty much any rural area. I live in southwestern Ontario and almost all the ridings around me went CPC. Its more of a Rural vs Urban differential. Ridings around cities are set up to have the city population cancel out rural votes.
Pro choice in terms of allowing a woman to decide whether or not to have a child or abort. The choice to view that a fundamental right is not the lack of choice as much as a it is standing up for a womans freedom to decide what best to do with her body.

No I mean Pro-choice in the definition of choice. According to Liberals women can choose to have an abortion but Liberal MP's can't choose how to vote on the issue.

Not just western Canada, pretty much any rural area. I live in southwestern Ontario and almost all the ridings around me went CPC. Its more of a Rural vs Urban differential. Ridings around cities are set up to have the city population cancel out rural votes.
Ridings would need to be prohibitively large to reach the average population and urban ridings would need to be broken down even more into more ridings to get down to the average riding population.

So elections Canada would be weirdly making more urban ridings at the detriment of rural ones. Which only favours on party, I will let you guess which one.
No I mean Pro-choice in the definition of choice. According to Liberals women can choose to have an abortion but Liberal MP's can't choose how to vote on the issue.
Lets not trivialize the extremely difficult choice a woman may need to make with how a MP votes, ya?

What would be the problem with a Brian Mulroney like PC party? I mean I didn't like the corruption, patronage and fiscal mismanagement

Question asked and answered right there.

This last election was the first time I voted Conservative since Mulroney

Not enough corruption, patronage, and fiscal mismanagement from Harper?

Question asked and answered right there.

Not enough corruption, patronage, and fiscal mismanagement from Harper?
Harper maybe didn't come close to meeting the standard of Trudeau 1,Mulroney, Chretien and Trudeau 2 but lets not make him out to be a saint. In many ways I've felt that our PM's have progressively been worse than the ones proceeding them ever since the first Trudeau.

I voted Conservative last election because I was increasingly worried that a rising PPC would split the vote and allow the Liberals to win my riding. In the end I needn't have been that worried.

The last time I voted Liberal was 1993. Since then I have managed to find other candidates and parties to support

The issue comes down to a wider view of where the votes are, and how to effect that.

Squabbling on the right to redistribute the share of votes internally is a mug’s game.

Things won’t change substantively unless something is done to attract the current Blue Liberals away from Team Trudeau. The CPC is not positioning itself to do that. It seems more interested in swinging further right.

While the option space remains just CPC and PPC, the LPC can slow its pace and keep its efforts to a (very discrete and nuanced) one-front war with the NDP.

Conservatives pretty much couldn’t hand Trudeau more favourable conditions to extend his rule…

Pierre Poilivere is running for Leader of the CPC and ultimately PM

1644110992057.png
This is going to be good. I can't really hypothesize until everyone announces, but I'll bet he gets the nod. I'm going to enjoy watching him use the grits as chew toys.

Last edited:
The equivalent of Tobin, Copps or Boudria running for the leadership of the LPC... aka "Do you want the opposition to remain in power forever?"

Back