• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

York U: Flower Power, Pray for Peace!

As much as I hate hippies, i have to say that your theory about humans is all wrong. You are making way too many broad generalizations. None of my left leaning friends support hamas or the "talibans", none of them have esteem issues (actually these people are younger than me and probably have a better idea of who they are than I do),and  they could care less whether they have your high income and your silly social status. You say that the left (oh and fat women) have self esteem issues that make them think they are better than others yet you made sure to tell us that you make lots of money and have a good social status. Sounds to me like you may have some issues. On my scale of BS your theory is right down there with email chain letters telling me I will die if I don't send it out.

"None of my left leaning friends support hamas or the "talibans", none of them have esteem issues (actually these people are younger than me and probably have a better idea of who they are ..."

- This only proves you have some standards in the selection of friends.

"On my scale of BS your theory is right down there with email chain letters telling me I will die if I don't send it out."

- I agree with Z.  I don't think his theory is B.S.  Where have all the 60s radicals gone?  They were bought off.  They are now lawyers, judges, bureaucrats and businessmen with power.  They LIKE the system now, because it's THEIRS.  They have status.  Read Maslow.

Tom

I don't think they were bought off. Smart hippies know that in order to change the system you have to be part of it.
I find it funny that as soon as some lefty calls you all a bunch of baby killers, you freak out and say that you are being sterotyped, but saying that all "hippies" have self esteem issues seems to be ok. I know this is a right leaning site but it's funny cause it pretty much mirrors the lefty side. Maybe you're not so different after all.  >:D

DG-41, this goes out to you:

DG-41 said:
Now Iraq:

1) No evidence has surfaced to show that Iraq had any part whatsoever in the 9/11 attacks, so there is no moral or legal justification for attacking Iraq in retaliation for 9/11, any more that there would be for invading (say) Sweden.

That's an illogical conclusion.   Sorta like saying "there's no evidence that this murderer has ever robbed anyone, therefore there's no moral or legal justification for arresting him".   Wether or not you're correct about Iraqi involvement in the 9/11 attacks, you cannot logicaly reach the conclusion you did from that fact alone.

DG-41 said:
2) Given that Iraq had been contained (by UN decree) for over 10 years, it posed no threat to anyone outside its own borders.

This is arguable at best.   Iraq still had a capable (by middle east standards) military force, and could very well have been a threat to other nations.   As well, you're ruling out the possibility of chemical, nuclear, or biological attack, something we had reason to worry about, especially once they started developing missiles capable of reaching distances which exceeded the limit imposed by the UN.   Since their capability to wage war or unconventional attacks cannot be proven to have been eliminated, and since your statement is largely irrelevant anyway (after all, the Taliban had a much weaker military), I'd say this point can be safely ignored as well.

DG-41 said:
3) Although it had both stockpiled and used them in the past, there was no evidence that Iraq posessed any weapons of mass destruction, and UN inspectors were on the ground enforcing this.

???

Maybe you stopped reading newspapers before the UN inspectors got kicked out?

The "no evidence" argument might be compelling if the heads of several major countries had not come out in support of the evidence, as well as if the war effort had not been supported by some 30 nations.   The fact remains that there WAS evidence of Iraq possesing chemical and biological weapons, and evidence that they were pursuing research into obtaining nuclear weapons.   If that evidence turned out to be wrong, well, hindsight is 20-20.

DG-41 said:
4) The actual employment of (in particular) chemical weapons without access to mass delivery systems is far more problematic than the lethality of the agents themselves would suggest. It takes tanker truck quantities of agent to carry out successful strikes, not milk carton quantities (the failed sarin attack in the Tokyo subway makes for a very instructive case study)

Sadam deffinitely possesed effective delivery systems for chemical weapons, and in 2003 had developed missiles capable of delivering conventional or chemical and nuclear payloads at distances exceeding the limit specified by the UN.   So no, he wouldn't have to resort to catapulting milk cartons at Israel.

DG-41 said:
5) Iraq was a mostly secular country run by a secular dictator whose worldview was exactly the opposite of the worldview of the people who carried out the 9/11 attacks. This both made co-operation between the two groups unlikely at best, and given that this secular dictator was unlikely to reliquish power anytime soon, his presence denied the resources of his country to people alligned with those who carried out the 9/11 attacks.

How's that phrase go?   The enemy of my enemy is my friend?   If Sadam were desperate enough to strike back at the US, do you think he would hesitate for one second to do it by supporting a group that happened to have different ideals than ones that he holds?   Realisticaly, Sadams regime, and his interests, had a hell of a lot more in common with al qaeda than they did with the US.

DG-41 said:
6) Iraq has large oil reserves.

And Afghanistan is a nice place to put a pipeline.   And Kosovo has natural gas or mineral deposits, or whatever it was that the peacenicks claimed when the US attacked Serbia over it.   Big whoop.

DG-41 said:
7) There is personal history between Saddam and the American president, so an element of personal vendetta is present.

You could use the same reasoning to respond to your point #5.   Since there IS a lot of bad blood between Sadam and the US in general, he'd be more likely to support an attack on the US organized by the Al Qaeda.   :)   Now, if you're telling me you think George Bush is more likely to pursue a personal vendetta than is Sadam, well....

I'm just going to assume that you're NOT making that statement so that I don't have to tell you what I really think....

DG-41 said:
8) The US unilaterally invaded Iraq on false pretenses over the objections of the UN and most of the world, apparently because it could. This is more than a little disturbing, especially if one is a ciitizen of a country with a lot of oil, a solid financial footing, a penchant for asserting its own soverignty, and intent on following its own political path in the face of opposition from the US (legaizing gay marriage, moving towards the legaliation of pot, insisting that the US adhere to the court rulings on softwood lumber under NAFTA and threatening to restrict access to power, water, and oil if the US keeps cheating on the NAFTA terms)

First, "most of the world" is arguable.   There's some 6 billion bodies on this rock, and I'm pretty sure most of them don't give a crap one way or the other.   If you mean most nations, well, actually as far as I can tell, most countries were nutral, as shown here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Country_positions_Iraq_war.png

Whereas the countries supporting the invasion and those opposed seem to be split pretty much equaly.   So I'd say that pretty much torpedoes that line of argument.

Also, keep in mind that many of the nations which opposed the US invasion of Iraq did so out of self interest (no dictator wants to be next on the list after all) whereas very few of those supporting the war had anything to gain from it.

DG-41 said:
9) By invading Iraq, the US has re-enforced the prevailing view in that part of the world of the US and the West in general as being imperialist bullies who trample on the rights of Arabs at will to get what they want, particularly oil, but also as a foe of their religion (shades of the Crusades - the fact that Bush is an evangelical Christian is NOT lost on them) This creates fertile ground for the creation of more organizations aligned with Al-Quaida, and overshadows the very good work being done in Afganistan.

It re-inforced that view amongst those who beleived it anyway.   Darn.   So now, those who hated America....still hate them.   But for a new "reason".   The attack on Afghanistan did the same thing - those who already hated the US paraded it as their newest "evidence" that the US is an evil imperialistic empire.   Or maybe you missed the part in Michael Moores movie where he talks about Bush's evil plan for a pipeline through Afghanistan, and about all the money that the Bush administration is making through their "connections" to arms manufacturing companies.

Meanwhile there are now at least 5 million (a conservative estimate) Shia Muslims, as well as a few million Kurds, who have become newfound supporters of the US.

Seems like a good trade.

DG-41 said:
10) So from this, I conclude that the invasion of Iraq was illegal, morally wrong, and produced results counter to the safety and security of the world as a whole - and I am happy and proud of my government in seeing the wisdom of staying out of it.

Well, since that was your conclusion, I'll wait untill the end of my post to state my own conclusion.

So, to recap:

1)   Sadam may or may not have been connected to Al Qaeda, but neither can be proven conclusively.   Similarily, the Taliban may or may not have supported Al Qaeda, but neither can be proven conclusively.   The best we can prove is that they allowed Al Qaeda cells to operate free from harrasement, and it's not much of a strech to beleive Sadam would have done the same.

2)   There was conclusive evidence that Iraq did at one point posses chemical and biological weapons, and still had them the last time UN inspectors were allowed to check.   There's compelling evidence that Sadam was interested in aquiring nuclear weapons, if he had not done so already.   AND there was conclusive evidence that Iraq had developed long-range missiles idealy suited for employment as delivery systems for chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons.

3)   Contrary to popular opinion, the ratio of countries opposed to the war in Iraq to those supporting it was roughly equal.

Furthermore, the following points which I didn't cover in the rest of my response also seem relevant:

4)   The 1991 war in Iraq ended in a CONDITIONAL CEASEFIRE.   I know you're familiar with that term so I won't elaborate much, I'll only say that Sadam violated the conditions of that ceasefire, and THAT is an unarguable fact.

5)   While sanctions may have been effective at limiting the ammount of damage Sadam could do to other nations, they also massively increased the level of misery amongst the people of Iraq.   A HUMANE nation would never allow itself to maintain such sanctions indeffinitely.   The fact that the UN supported continued sanctions tells me all I need to know about that organization.   The fact that they instead felt justified in opposing the continuation of the 1991 war, even though it was obvious that the terms of the ceasefire had been shattered, only serves to hammer in the last nail on the coffin in which I've burried my respect for that "distinguished body".

6)   In the same vein, Sadam clearly had no qualms about oppressing his own people, and using abduction, murder, rape, and torture in order to prop up his regime.   While you've expressed the opinion that it's reasonable to beleive that "different cultures have different standards", I'd have to argue that no society in the world classifies murder, rape, and torture as a good thing, and that even if such a society existed we would be almost duty-bound to wipe it off the face of the earth.

So, in conclusion, you've given me absolutely no evidence to support the idea that there was anything illegal or immoral about the Iraq campaign.   Instead, you actually brought to my attention similarities between the attack on Iraq and the attack on Afghanistan which I had not noticed untill I read your post.   Therefore, I still maintain that there's no way you can justify the Afghan campaign while at the same time claiming that the Iraq campaign is illigal or immoral.   Either they're both wrong, or they're both right.

"The Moral Justification of Iraq" is turning into the new Godwin's Law of the Internet.

camochick said:
None of my left leaning friends support hamas or the "talibans"

Well this thread started with students trying to ban military recruiters from university, and some of them saying Canada shouldn't be in Afghanistan. This seemed to me and other as if they supported the Talibans and lead to me posting my theory. Maybe your friends don't fall in that group.

On the income and status issue, I'd say that "it is easy to despise what you cannot get." I realize that parts of my post are quite insulting. But unfortunately there's not that many pretty way to bring that subject. I typically avoid talking about it. But I think too many people give up in life. Instead of sticking to what they want and keep trying they lie to themselves and think they don't really want it. And then they stop trying and give up all chances of ever actually getting it. I think it's a sad thing.

Zarathustra said:
Well this thread started with students trying to ban military recruiters from university, and some of them saying Canada shouldn't be in Afghanistan. This seemed to me and other as if they supported the Talibans and lead to me posting my theory. Maybe your friends don't fall in that group.

On the income and status issue, I'd say that "it is easy to despise what you cannot get." I realize that parts of my post are quite insulting. But unfortunately there's not that many pretty way to bring that subject. I typically avoid talking about it. But I think too many people give up in life. Instead of sticking to what they want and keep trying they lie to themselves and think they don't really want it. And then they stop trying and give up all chances of ever actually getting it. I think it's a sad thing.

Sorry but I'm going to have to agree with her.  I don't think envy or or hate have much to do with why these students do what they do.  I've asked many of them why they protest against the US while keeping silent about other nations who are clearly much worse than anything that the US is being accused of.  The response is invariably the same:

"Well, everyone KNOWS that those people are bad!"

To me, this sounds more like "I won't get any attention if I protest against the Taliban/Al Qaeda/North Korea/Sadam".  What they're saying is pretty simple; they want to create a scene.  They want attention and opposition and argument.  Above all, they want a cause to fight for and an enemy they can demonize and attack, without having to worry about such inconvinient things as reprisals, injury, or death.

I am of the beleif that conflict is a part of all natural systems, and that all living things actively seek out conflict.  At the same time, most living things, and humans especialy, seek attention.  All of us - wether we admit it or not - want to be noticed, appreciated, and respected.  The "University Student" subspecies of the human race simply manifests it's desire for conflict and attention as an attack against all forms of authority.  It gives them an enemy which is safe to attack and can at least superficialy be made out to seem like evil incarnate.  It gives them opposition and conflict in the form of arguments with those of us who support the system.  And it gives them attention - negative attention from those of us opposed to them, and positive attention in the form of acceptance and comraderie from those who oppose the system.

Protesting against, say, Sadam on the other hand, wouldn't achieve any of the above.  It generates no conflict because everyone already know he's a bad mofo.  Without conflict they get less attention - next to none from the average person, and probably even less from their peers.  So what's the point, right? :)

Such a tizzy over a few usless gluebags! Leave them be. You won't change them. By engaging them, right or wrong, win or lose, you play their game. There is two ways to deal with them. Treat them as if they don't exist, in public. Or a well aimed shot, shattering the probiscus, in private, will end the discussion either way. Any other time or effort is a complete waste of energy.

Zarathustra said:

Ok well now your theory is completely out there. Just because they want them out of Afghanistan doesn't mean that they support the taliban. People protested the Vietnam war and not all of them were communist. Perhaps some of them feel our troops are being put in unnecessary danger.

As for the whole people giving up on life, I'm sure people from all sides of the board do that. I don't think that because someone is left leaning it means they have given up on life. I'm quite positive there are alot of successful people from the left side of things. I think you are the one who needs to feel validated, by posting this garbage. Not everybody wants money and status to feel better about themselves, in fact people who need money and status to feel special probably have issues.

An interesting aspect about how those particular students reacted, is that it is actually quite likely that they HELPED the recruiters.  A lot of professionals in the advertising industry would suggest that 'any coverage is good coverage'... and in many cases controversy can really boost interest from bystanders.  Think about how many York students were disgusted by the reaction of the 'grass roots anti-imperialist' group (or whatever it was..).  A protest such as that one is actually the perfect opportunity for our recruiters to rise above the occasion and make themselves look really classy by sticking it out with smiles on their faces, or by returning to the school to recruit at specific academic departments where the protestors may not have access.  The recruiters should have taken the opportunity to leave a statement with the student newspaper, inviting any students detered by the protests to visit their office...

The old time worn and dreary cliche comes to mind.

Bring them all to Afghanistan, and let them live there for a month, in the mud hut, living on a dollar a week. Then ask them what we're doing there.

All semantics, book learning and righteous indignation will flee from the scholarary poser when he/ she has to "walk the walk".

Zarathustra said:
And if you wonder why I'm not left wing in spite of my philosophy degree is because I also have a computer science degree, a high income and a decent social status. :)

So in other words, your kids are (will be) left-wing.  ;)

48Highlander said:
At the same time, most living things, and humans especialy, seek attention.   All of us - wether we admit it or not - want to be noticed, appreciated, and respected.   The "University Student" subspecies of the human race simply manifests it's desire for conflict and attention as an attack against all forms of authority.  

That's similar to what I'm saying, no ? Attention, status, pretty close.

camochick said:
I think you are the one who needs to feel validated, by posting this garbage. Not everybody wants money and status to feel better about themselves, in fact people who need money and status to feel special probably have issues.

Theories need to be publicly debated, especially when they are wrong. And yes getting respect for your opinion is an interesting form of social status. But my first post wasn't very clear. I'm not arguing that social sciences students have more social status problem than the rest of society. I'm saying that they get their status through moral superiority instead of money or celebrity because money and celebrity are not open to them. (Though being a student leader is some sort of celerity after all.) I'm not saying their are insane, and yes driving SUV is on the verge of sanity if you want my opinion.

TCBF said:
I agree with Z.   I don't think his theory is B.S.   Where have all the 60s radicals gone?   They were bought off.   They are now lawyers, judges, bureaucrats and businessmen with power.   They LIKE the system now, because it's THEIRS.   They have status.   Read Maslow.

A few are even retired from the CF.

Peace out.

People who call each other   names, ridicule them and feel superior are all the same, if you ask me, whether they are "left" or " right".   That is the seed of hate that begets war and genocide.       Young people often have black and white views whether they are hippie or soldier. The brain is not fully developed nor able to see shades of grey until age 26 or so. Passion in youth is a good thing. It helps one to get through the decades of crap in everyday   life and stay motivated through the years.   Hopefully the gung-ho young soldier will learn to temper his aggression and the gung-ho young hippie   will learn   to understand the need for   force at times.  

There is a lot of work to be done in this world and many ways to do it.   Peace out to you too, baby.

I've been away from Club York over the past two weeks because of various holidays. Now that my Monday night class has resumed, I had the pleasure of walking around a campus plastered with anti-Canadian propaganda courtesy of your friend and mine Ahmed Habib,( vice-president equity for the York Federation of Students). Call me crazy....but I exercised my rights by tearing down as many posters as I could! Although I  realise that the majority of the student body really doesn't concern themselves with such left-wing stupidity, I just couldn't handle walking by every door/wall/window and looking at the propaganda this ingrate has strewn all over campus. ( oh yeah ...I almost forgot...he's having another love in today on campus. When does this sorry a** have time to study?)

:cdn:

York loves the military  when we rent space there , students come there from all over to study, from other countries who are in the military. I was there for 2 weeks in the summer of 1990 while being quartered there for a course. They  loved us spending money in the bars and other places on campus.
I went back a few months later while on a callout to see about getting more education and  during my interview the lady asked me what  would happen if the army sent me to war( gulf war 1 ) would i go or would i stay and continue my studies. I told her the army was my job, career and I had signed the dotted line long before I thought about an education at York. I would go and do what my country asked of me. The lady interviewing suggested I not bother taking classes there because education was more important then being in the service of my  country. words to that affect. I left shortly afterwards and went back to work at the base and realized York was not for me.

Take my  money,  and then tell me how to earn that  money .

York needs to put a sign up ." Warning Soldiers to stay off the Grass"

Back