• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

York U: Flower Power, Pray for Peace!

Hatchet Man said:
You mean a Community College right, not a college as it is used by the Americans (meaning they call University, College even if the name of the school say University).

Of course.

My experience is the Canadian Experience (where's that trademark logo when you need it?)

Glorified Ape said:
As much as people love to knock poli sci, it's the poli sci kids that go on to formulate the public policy that shapes the country and government. In the meantime, the poli sci critics sit on internet message boards and badmouth the field. Kinds of puts things in perspective.  ;)

AWESOME.

The college system in Canada is quite varied from province to province and even within provinces.  The college at which I teach is a comprehensive community college that offers a wide variety of programmes.  The Arts and Science programmes lead to an Associate Degree and university transfer after two years, while our business, trades and technology programmes offer a wide variety of professional training opportunities that quickly provide employable skills acknowledged by certificates and diplomas.  Programmes for upgrading, ESL, human kinetics and forestry are included at the main and regional campuses.  Check us out on the web at:  www.cnc.bc.ca

Some community colleges are much more specialized and only offer vocational training or concentrate on special niche markets.  The model varies a lot, so it worthwhile to consider the breadth of offerings, faculty, and tuition when choosing a college or university.  Faculty at my workplace are proud to point out that we have smaller classes and offer more attention to individual students as compared to universities.

The reason for this is that the primary responsibility of faculty at colleges is teaching, while at universities teaching is very much a secondary role to research.

2332Piper said:
What? You mean your not there to party your face off, meet girls and get a degree? Boooring.

Know what they say though....
The physics student asks: How can I make this work?
The engineering student asks: How can I make this work better?
The arts student asks: do you want fries with that?

Go Criminal Justice and Public Policy...this school's forgotten program.

*GASP* That's an Arts program!!! You'll never get a job with that!!! Just think of all those losers with Arts degrees that got stuck running the country... oh wait.

And yes - I did go to school for the booze, parties, etc, I just try to keep some perspective on the long-term reason for my being here. :D

Calvin said:

AWESOME.

Thanks  8)

Due to the fact that I am a poli sci major/ history minor (unfortunately at Club York), I have come across a fair amount of students who have joined, or would like to join the CF as reservists - probably more than in other arts programs (based on my own experiences) - however, I'm still waiting, and waiting for the call myself :'( I would like to believe that programs such as history/ poli sci foster an awareness of the importance of a strong military with regards to nation building, and the  maintenance of a sovereign state. I'd like to assume that it is these students, who have studied the history of the world, will be able to make a difference in society because they have been educated on the past and all the mistakes that have been made along the way.

I think everyone's problem here lies with arts students in fields such as  anthropology(just an example) or other social science programs where the majority of the university's tree huggers tend to congregate (no offence to those on this site) . I had to take a few of these social science courses in order to  complete my degree, and let me assure you, any opinion stated in class that was not pro - left was looked upon as being fascist, or backwards. Aside from the fact that I couldn't voice my opinion without being castrated in front of the class, I also found it disturbing that a lot of the TA's in these classes encourage their students to attend various protests, even for extra grades.

For the most part, I believe that many poli sci/ history students have great respect for the military because they understand why it is necessary. By studying the past (politically or historically) they acknowledge the fact that the world isn't all sunshine and lollypops, (like some of these lefties will have you believe) and sometimes the use of force to defend or protect your interests with a fully capable military force is a necessity for increased development and survival of the sovereign nation.

:cdn:

Back