• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Winter BMQ

Larkvall probably has it right.  Sometimes they will not send you on BMQ knowing you are going to sit around for too long between finishing that and starting your trades training.

I think they also might be trying to minimize the number of courses that would have to go on leave over the Christmas break. Both because it is an interruption in the otherwise high tempo training, as well as the fact that people who had been employed for only a few weeks may be less able to afford the typical expenses incurred, travel and gifts, etc.

PMedMoe said:
Year round.  There is a break for a short period during the holidays.

This brings up another question, didnt look to see if its answered already, sorry. But I figured most upto date answer possible is good.

For the Holiday shutdown, do we have the opportunity to go home for that time? I would assume yes.. However, do we have to pay for the commute or would that be something the military would cover or arrange a reduced rate on?

Also, Im @ BMQ from Sept.28-Jan.10, is a shutdown like this common 1 week prior to finishing BMQ or is it selective between course starts/finishes?

prairiediver said:
This brings up another question, didnt look to see if its answered already, sorry. But I figured most upto date answer possible is good.

For the Holiday shutdown, do we have the opportunity to go home for that time? I would assume yes.. However, do we have to pay for the commute or would that be something the military would cover or arrange a reduced rate on?

Also, Im @ BMQ from Sept.28-Jan.10, is a shutdown like this common 1 week prior to finishing BMQ or is it selective between course starts/finishes?

IIRC, you pay for your own trip as you haven't accumulated enough time for LTA (Leave Travel Assistance) but I could be wrong.

As far as for what dates they actually close, I'm guessing between Dec 18 - 4 Jan or so.  Maybe a week longer.

It might be an idea to get one of the RMS clerks on here to check that last out...my son that finished BMQ in March/April got LTA to come home....but timeing/fiscal year might have a lot to do with that....dunno.

GAP said:
It might be an idea to get one of the RMS clerks on here to check that last out...my son that finished BMQ in March/April got LTA to come home....but timeing/fiscal year might have a lot to do with that....dunno.

That's true.  Of course, if your trip is less than 800 kms, round trip, you won't get a cent.

Oh hey, look.  You need 90 days service to qualify.

Domestic Benefits FAQ

Also, DCBA Aide Memoire

PMedMoe said:
IIRC, you pay for your own trip as you haven't accumulated enough time for LTA (Leave Travel Assistance) but I could be wrong.

As far as for what dates they actually close, I'm guessing between Dec 18 - 4 Jan or so.  Maybe a week longer.

I asked my MCC this question last week and was told your trip home for the break would be covered.

Cheers
Mark

chrome1967 said:
I asked my MCC this question last week and was told your trip home for the break would be covered.

Cheers
Mark

Thanks for the insught.

I do want to be clear on one thing though. The paid travel is for the holidays and for when I am done BMQ? I would hope so.

I only asked about the holiday break. I would think you are covered after BMQ because they paid for you to get there. I am only giving you my opinion, I do not know for sure.

Cheers
Mark

chrome1967 said:

I was also told that when I went to basic many moons ago.  It wasn't covered.  I'm sure they will address all this at BMQ.

According to the link I posted above, you need 90 days service before you are eligible for LTA.

prairiediver said:
Thanks for the insught.

I do want to be clear on one thing though. The paid travel is for the holidays and for when I am done BMQ? I would hope so.

Just to clarify... after BMQ don't you basically get shipped directly to SQ or whatever training you have to do next? I didn't think that there was time to go home after BMQ.

Like PMedMoe said, we will be given all the answers to our questions at BMQ. It looks like we will just have to wait until then.

Cheers
Mark

My BMOQ runs from Sept 7th, to December 18th. If training shuts down for a brief time over the holidays, and depending on when my next course date starts wouldn't they send us home for christmas?

px90 said:
My BMOQ runs from Sept 7th, to December 18th. If training shuts down for a brief time over the holidays, and depending on when my next course date starts wouldn't they send us home for christmas?

According to the Sgt sitting beside me who just came here from teaching BMQ, it depends on where you're from whether they 'send' you home or just allow you to head home for the holidays before reporting to your next course.

For example, if you're from Ontario and your next course is in Borden ... they'll probably just let you leave after BMQ to head home and then report to Borden in January. If you're from BC however ...

You still have to be in possession of a leave pass.

As far as paying for trips to your declared next-of-kin, you are only entitled to one LTA per fiscal year.

PMedMoe said:
You still have to be in possession of a leave pass.

As far as paying for trips to your declared next-of-kin, you are only entitled to one LTA per fiscal year.

With the new fiscal year starting April 1.....right..

GAP said:
With the new fiscal year starting April 1.....right..

But if they have 90 days service prior to April 1, they will be entitled to one this year.

I live in Nova Scotia, my next course is in Esquimalt, so how is that looking for me? Ha

px90 said:
I live in Nova Scotia, my next course is in Esquimalt, so how is that looking for me? Ha

Depends on the length of your course.  Check the DCBA Aide Memoire link I posted on page one of this thread.

Bianca said:
Just to clarify... after BMQ don't you basically get shipped directly to SQ or whatever training you have to do next? I didn't think that there was time to go home after BMQ.

Yes and No from what I understand. You have to pass BMQ before you move onto your next course, obviously. But you are not tentaively registered for your next course until 30 days before BMQ is finished. So based on the date that your BMQ finishes and when the startup for NET starts, there maybe some time in between that you may get to go home.

Back