• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Winter BMQ

I'm a West Coaster so the cold thing is a frightening. Last year I think it was -2 one day and half of the staff at work couldn't come in.
So this -40 talk is a little un-nerving. I guess Ill just faster.

Ryan

You just adjust to it... it's not that bad, just don't get wet or you'll regret it  :eek:

Put on your toques for this.  I ran a winter QL3 Arty in Shilo, MB.  It did not go above -40'C during the entire month of Jan.  Dressing in layers, learning to trusting your instructors and your gear is what makes training so valuable.

Once the parking lots freeze over with ice in Oct and don't thaw until April, that's when you know you are serving in the Army of the West.

Hi, I was just wondering if BMQ has a new class each month and if it goes right through winter. Thanks.

no they don't...and they cancel classes when it rains

Search is a good way to start finding the info.

Nope, the CF doesn't have any cold weather gear.  Once it gets cold you're sent home and told to return when the weather heats up again. ::)

Why would you even waste time asking if BMQ goes in the winter? Of course it does.  :eek: You will also actually go outside in the winter too! Crazy eh?

Common guys, he is asking a question about something he knows nothing about so give him a break.  Just like the one you would want if you were inquiring something.

Yes RS, doing a search would probably help a lot, I know for a fact there are lots of WInter BMQ threads to answer your questions.  As for the actual frequency and dates of those BMQs.  I don't know, but maybe someone else in here does.

Good luck ;)

Kyle

Not to be a total baddy,

But I thought you were rejected from joining the military?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12898/post-680048.html#msg680048

Has this changed?

If so congrats.

dileas

tess

Yea, I finally got my bee stings and my asthma tested. Both were negative so I'm just resending my application now.

And no need to be an ass Slaw and RCDtpr, I didn't ask the question because I was worried about being a little cold in the snow. I only asked because I figured they would want everyone to experience the same training in the same environment.

My quite intelligent girlfriend had also assumed that BMQ didn't take place in the winter... so don't feel too bad.

Yes it does, and you will sleep(or not sleep) in tents outside, you even get snowshoes and whites to hide out in the snow.
I did mine in the winter, January to April. When you are at the mega you don't spend much time outdoors, but in Farnham you will be cold.

Hey RejectedSoldier;

Yes, BMQ is held through the winter, normally in St. Jean 2-3 courses start each week, there are some weeks that will not start any courses though and that will be because it is starting or ending too close to Christmas or the Mega is overloaded.  Some courses cancelled the weekend off between week 11 and week 12 in the field so the course could graduate before Christmas block leave and not have to come back for a week after leave.
If you are in the field, during week 11, and it is in -0 weather you will not sleep in hooches, you will have to set up 10 man tents, have fun doing pull-pull with that!!  Anyway, if it is -32 (I think that was the cut off) then you stay in tents to do classes, I am not sure about your missions during week 12, there are a required number to be done daily and some courses would head from one mission directly to the next to take advantage of the "nice" weather during daylight.  Week 12 is spent in a FOB (forward operating base) with mod tents set up before you arrive.
Have fun and good luck, being out there during the snow sucks!  Also, the morning runs in sleet, freezing rain, snow, blizzards, etc are especially fun!  :crybaby:

newmet said:
Hey RejectedSoldier;

....if it is -32 (I think that was the cut off) then you stay in tents to do classes.....

Ha if only that was the case.  When I did my BMQ weeks 11 and 12 in January, it was routinely -40 or worse, and we still trained, although it was a little turned down.  I'm never going to forget that.  I'm from Northern Ontario and grew up with -30 and colder and it was definitely interesting.  Good Times though.  I'm better for it.

Hearing about that kind of cold weather makes me glad that my BMOQ is during the summer. It's nothing to do with complaints against snow, it's more the fact that I'm from Vancouver, it never gets below -10 here haha. How do people from the maritimes and BC cope with a sudden climate change like that? If I was a scientist, I'd want to do some research on it. :p

[quote author=Intelligent Design]
How do people from the maritimes and BC cope with a sudden climate change like that? [/quote]

They dress in many layers and deal with it...lol
Did my BMQ over the PQ winter and actually didn't mind it so much. I honestly figured it would be worse then what it was. -33 was the lowest it went when I was there, and we were still being worked hard, constantly. Loved every minute of it!

[quote author=newmet]Some courses cancelled the weekend off between week 11 and week 12 in the field so the course could graduate before Christmas block leave and not have to come back for a week after leave.[/quote]

When did they start doing this?
When we had Xmas leave we came back going into Week 11 which was our 13k and our first week actually IN the field (I do not include the week in shacks for the range as being in the field). Week 12 was Normandy week spent in Camp Alpha, our FOB (best week, EVER!!!!) and week 13 was all grad prep.

Springroll said:
When did they start doing this?
When we had Xmas leave we came back going into Week 11 which was our 13k and our first week actually IN the field (I do not include the week in shacks for the range as being in the field). Week 12 was Normandy week spent in Camp Alpha, our FOB (best week, EVER!!!!) and week 13 was all grad prep.

It was only for last year as far as I know, just for around Christmas.  The people who stayed out in the field straight would have come back from Christmas leave going into grad week, it wasn't worth the time or money to do that, I guess, so they just stayed out and graduated the Thursday before Christmas leave.  For us, Week 9 was in Farnham, we were in the fiberglass huts during our live firing exercise.  During week 9 now you also do your 13 km march, repel tower, etc.  Then week 10 is back in St. Jean for CBRN, then week 11 is in hoochies and week 12 we spent in FOB A.  Grad week was week 14.

I'm just wondering if BMQ goes year round or if it shuts down for the winter

Year round.  There is a break for a short period during the holidays.

If we shut down BMQ when it's cold, we'd never get them done in Canada!!  ;)

haha thats true, I just send in a medical paper and was told if i don't get to leave before october i'd have to wait till march

Back