• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who uses the 5.7mm ammo?

Only place I've heard 5.7mm being used is by FN, in the P90 and Five-seven Pistol.

Apparently these/or some weapons are use by Peru, Cyprus, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia and Stargate Command. :D

Modified to add Cyprus.

Saw some P90s on the streets of Asmara, Eritrea a couple of days after the arms embargo was lifted.  They didn't have them before, so that must mean that FN has an awesome shipping department, right?

Well Startgate is the only place the 5.7x28 SS190 round is effective  ;D  About as effective as stabbing someone with a very slender icepick.  They may dies but not for a few days...

Some Belgian SF units had then in Afghan - but I have not seen them recently with them

As a side note, although FN is still offering the P-90 PDW and FiveSeven pistol, a number of arms dealers at the AUSA show were offering 9mm carbines as alternative weapons to perform a similar role. Although the extra length (12" to 16" barrels in some cases) made these a bit impractical as PDWs, the claimed increase in muzzle velocity and KE were supposedly enough to deal with targets at ranges out to 100m or more, and there were even claims of being able to deal with targets protected by body armour. (Of course, if you used a silver bullet during a full moon, dealing with werewolves would be a breeze as well... ;))

Trying to develop a weapon which is compact, easy to use and able to deliver enough energy to put a target down is very difficult since each requirement is contradicted by the others (remember, the Laws of Physics are enforced very rigorously indeed). Look for more outlandish ideas in the future, such as variations of the Metalstorm, in attempts to sidestep the problems.

a_majoor said:
Although the extra length (12" to 16" barrels in some cases) made these a bit impractical as PDWs, the claimed increase in muzzle velocity and KE were supposedly enough to deal with targets at ranges out to 100m or more, and there were even claims of being able to deal with targets protected by body armour.

What were the purported advantages of a 12" or 16" barreled 9mm weapon over a 11.5" or 16" barreled 5.56mm weapon?  Heavier ammo poor trajectory and less lethality are three major dings against it, even if we DS that they have cooked up some 9mm ammo that can defeat level IIIA soft  / III hard armour (since it's already a given that 9mm from an SMG will defeat level I, IIA and II soft armour).

There's something that keeps bugging me about Stargate and Stargate Atlantis...the guys use P90s but their tact vests are CLEARY designed for M4s/M16s...can somebody show me a picture of ACTUAL P90 tact vests? I believe that the Belgian SFs use them right?

Some former eastern bloc ambassador's PSD teams use the p90 in Iraq.  I played around with one and it handled well, would be great for a driver's gun in softskins.

I may be wrong, but I heard that the Halifax Regional Police is using P-90s. The rumour was that each supervisor (Sergeant) vehicle was being equipped with one, as well as their Emergency Response Team.

Actually the U.S secret service is supposed to be using the five seven, and from there actual field use they have come up with a modified version. They had a write up in one of the gun magizines about it, as well one of the bigger ammo companies is supposed to be manufacturing the 5.7 ammo now. I just cannot remember if they also had the p90s issued , but i imagine they would instead of mixing up the calibers for a side arm and the p90.?   

gottyfunk said:
Actually the U.S secret service is supposed to be using the five seven, and from there actual field use they have come up with a modified version. They had a write up in one of the gun magizines about it, as well one of the bigger ammo companies is supposed to be manufacturing the 5.7 ammo now. I just cannot remember if they also had the p90s issued , but i imagine they would instead of mixing up the calibers for a side arm and the p90.?   

Don't beleive what you read in a gun rag...

When DickC visited us two weeks ago all the USSS guys that where around us where not carrying anything like that at all.
They ran Colt M4A1's and whil enone had handguns out around the Embassy - I would guess they had the same 9mm Glocks we have with DoS...

nsmedicman said:
I may be wrong, but I heard that the Halifax Regional Police is using P-90s. The rumour was that each supervisor (Sergeant) vehicle was being equipped with one, as well as their Emergency Response Team.

You are not wrong, the Halifax ERT use the P-90's.  I have some 5.7x28mm brass I picked up off of a local Halifax range where they practice.  Some guys I know had the opportunity to try it.

Another interesting aside is that after testing the 5.7x28 round USSOC issued a memo that adopting the cartridge is the best way to ensure mission failure...

I've quoted the memo here before if people really want to do a search.
I am not at home so I dont have the date of the memo but it was written by LCdr Garry Roberts.

How does the H&K PDW stack up compared to the 5.7mm? I've seen some Germans carrying them around town, and hopefully will get my hands on one at the range before redeployment...

Also, as far as compact firepower goes, the carbine version of the British SA80 is tiny!

The Germans redesigned the 4.6x36 round to be more effective in flash- but I am not sure if it ever worked well -- I see some of the Germans at Bagram carrying them. 

The Brits with that minibullpup are quite compact -- 10" bbl IIRC is a TINY item.

KevinB said:
  The Brits with that minibullpup are quite compact -- 10" bbl IIRC is a TINY item.

Geez... I'd never seen that before, and after your post I googled it. after wading through four pages of airsoft results I found a British army discussion site with a picture of the thing- looks like they took the L85 down to bare minimum. Seems like it would be a pretty good compromize for PDW in a rifle chambering...

Back