• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who is/was the greatest Canadian?

well what about his legacy to bring peace and prosperity to those poor Africans by throwing a whole pile of Canadian dollars at their corrupt warlords to help feed their starving soldiers so they can better keep those bloodthirsty savage poor folk from taking over the world.

Ok, ya got me there.....John Cretien it is then:)

Pierre

...no tongue in cheek there...

I voted for the unknown soldier, but if there had to be a specific Canadian, I would choose LGen Dallaire.

I still don‘t know....and I‘ve really given it a a lot of thought. I‘d like to be able to vote for 10 people all for different reasons.

Okay, all kidding aside.
There are three Canadians I would have a hard time picking the "greatest" from. All three are authors who have tried to bring Canadian history to the masses through well written, entertaining and easy to read books (not dry, reference book material.) Pierre Berton, Peter Newman and Farley Mowat.
If any body knows of any writers of Canadian history who write in similiar style please let me know.
"The Devil‘s Brigade" was another great historical novel of Canadian history but the author‘s name alludes me and I‘m not sure if he wrote anything else.

Today‘s Toronto Sun has an article about a movement to get Don Cherry named as The Greatest Canadian, which considering recent events could be "interesting" for the CBC if he were to win. :D

Who we kidding though. This is the CBC. It‘s either going to be Trudeau, or some obscure left wing politically correct feminist activist that no mainstream Canadian has ever heard of.

I actually went to a meeting once at a CBC station concerning that... how to make the programming less left-wing.

It‘s either going to be Trudeau, or some obscure left wing politically correct feminist activist that no mainstream Canadian has ever heard of. [/QB]
Sheila Copps?? :D

On a serious note, they should have had defined criteria to make the choice...

fuk it, I think I just might vote for Rick Mercer, he makes me laugh, he‘s a patriot, and of course he‘s a NEWF... :cdn: :D

Wait for it - the CBC will NEVER admit that they received thousands of votes for Don Cherry.

Instead, they‘ll trot out every politically correct whanker that has ever lived ...

As an aside, I liked Red Green‘s choice: Laura Secord - intriguing choice, and a good one.

LOL...Laura Secord... I could do that...umm...I mean agree with that.

My vote: Sir John A. MacDonald

Our country‘s founding PM, a Father of Confederation and the architect who joined a loose confederation of colonies/territories into a Dominion that is what we have today. Without his visionary leadership and skills of diplomacy none of what we have today would be possible.

However I do strongly suspect Trudeau will win, as this country has been thoughly indoctrinated by the CBC to revere him. Everytime, I ask someone why they think Trudeau is great they cite his: 1) style, 2) he browns off the Americans and 3) the FLQ Crisis (although most can‘t explain what that was all about).

Louis Riel? Even if you are a westerner you can‘t be serious. This man TWICE attempted to over thrown the government out west. The second time resulted in a little affair historians like to call the Northwest Rebellion (1885), where the Canadian Militia and the NWMP went out to Manitoba and Saskatchewan. They then had several bloody battles with Riel and his followers, until Riel was captured.

He was then put on trial, found guilty and hanged. During the trial it was generally accepted that he was insane, as he told people he was Christ. No amount of retroactive historical rewriting will excuse a man whose actions resulted in that much trouble and a campaign medal being struck to commemorate the affair.

Romeo Dallaire is actually coming to St Jerome‘s College (part of the University of Waterloo) in K-W to talk. I‘ve been trying to get tickets but they are all basically gone. But it certainly would be interesting to hear him talk.

Nate... there are always ways to get tickets.. Talk to the Stage Manager, or something..

George and Pauline Vanier. General, Governor-General, humanists and candidates for beatification. Where are Canadians of your calibre today?!?

Back