• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's wrong with Meaford?

Amsdell

Inactive
Reaction score
Each time I've mentioned going to Meaford for my BMQ I've had responses that included a) laughter b) "Ouch" or c) a combination of both followed by "Keep your fingers crossed for Kingston".  How does Meaford differ from other locations?

Questions about posting to LFCA TC Meaford
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24590.0.html

And from searching with the words meaford + sucks:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/38035/post-316419.html#msg316419

Michael O'Leary said:
Meaford "sucks" in the same way that every training base "sucks." People associate all their bad training experiences with the place. Meaford is a good training base with all the resources needed to support the training they conduct. The place bulks out a bit some summers, but it still works.

From the trainees' point of view, Meaford "sucks" in the following ways, among so many others:

-  if you're training in the summer, it's too hot and dusty, therefore it sucks
-  if you're training in the winter, it's too cold and dry, therefore it sucks
-  if you're training in the spring, it's too wet and sloppy, therefore it sucks
-  if you're "digging in" it's either too muddy (clay) or too hard (rock), therefore it sucks
-  if you've got a weekend free, it's too far from the nearest town, therefore it sucks

I never thought of including the word "sucks" in my search.  Thank you for the links.

I live not far from Meaford. There's a lot of poison ivy around there.

I would suggest the remarks you have received are based on Meaford's location (i.e., distance from town) and the apprehension of it actually being an Army training base.

Geographically, it's a beauthiful area of the province.........nuff said.

Ahh... Meaford

You're gonna love it :pushup:

I didn't mind Meaford when I was there.  Owen Sound is just big enough to get into trouble too.  A lot of fun for me.

This may qualify me as insane, but I like Meaford. Nice weather while I was there, good on site ammenities, close enough to the beaches for when you have leave, and personally for me, close enough so I could go home for weekends off.

Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself the glass is half full for the two months I'll be spending there this summer.

Though, on an aside,  I find it humorous when people warn you to watch out for the tank ruts. Meaford is one giant tank rut, trying to avoid tank ruts in Meaford is like trying to avoid sand at the beach.

Cheers,

Pte. AJB

Whoever said the area 'sucks' doesnt appreciate much at all.  I live IN Owen Sound.  A 20 minute drive from the base.  Theres alot of good stuff to do in town here.  If you're fortunate enough to get into O.S. for weekend leave, you're lookin at places like good pool halls and some pretty decent bars down town.  As for the base itself, i took a drive around tour of it last summer.  Its a pretty good place to train IMO.  If your a panzy and are affraid of dryness, wetness, cold, or warmth....then TS. 

Its a beautiful area. I'll be happy to show some fellow basic trainee's around...that is, if your going to be on base in Meaford at the end of May to the end of June for the BMQ course.  PM me and let me know.

-Adrenaline

Adrenaline said:
Whoever said the area 'sucks' doesnt appreciate much at all.  I live IN Owen Sound.  A 20 minute drive from the base.  Theres alot of good stuff to do in town here.  If you're fortunate enough to get into O.S. for weekend leave, you're lookin at places like good pool halls and some pretty decent bars down town.  As for the base itself, i took a drive around tour of it last summer.  Its a pretty good place to train IMO.  If your a panzy and are affraid of dryness, wetness, cold, or warmth....then TS. 
I said it. I stand by it. I have spent many, many, many days and nights there. I would rather spend 9 months in Afghanistan than 9 days in Meaford.

So, I will compare my extensive experience training there to your "drive around tour", any day. Have yourself a fine airborne day, now.

I was in Meaford once, but I tried to stay inside the Range Control truck because the mud would have touched my boots, and that would have sucked.      ;D

Michael O'Leary said:
I was in Meaford once, but I tried to stay inside the Range Control truck because the mud would have touched my boots, and that would have sucked.     
ooooohhhh! I see what you did there! THAT was clever.

Meaford doesn't suck.....................................................it blows.

Ahahahaha....

recceguy you really have it in for Meaford dont ya?  What, besides the weather and environment, was a wet towel on your experiences there?  We're u just mad they didnt let you bring your comfort blanket with you? haha just kiddin man.

-Adrenaline

Well lemme give you a pictorial...

FiveShalesStripDistrict.jpg

sitka-forest-roots.half.jpg

20050629_3.jpg
2.jpg

rain13.jpg

dileas

tess

Be very careful if you don't know who your screwing with. I've been training there since the 60's and the place has been ruined. I've voiced my opinion elswhere on the subject. Do a search if your interested.

You may want to read the guidelines also and quit being such a smartmouthedknowitallpunkdoofus. Just smarten the f*** up. Ahahahaha....haha just kiddin man. ;)

Although Meaford isnt my favorite base, it still doesn't quite bring on that sinking feeling that Borden does.

Everytime i step into the Borden training area, I feel like i just walked into a Walmart (in respect to every tree, in perfect alignment, similar to the store isles)

Sh0rtbUs said:
Although Meaford isnt my favorite base, it still doesn't quite bring on that sinking feeling that Borden does.

Everytime i step into the Borden training area, I feel like i just walked into a Walmart (in respect to every tree, in perfect alignment, similar to the store isles)

Are you kidding me?? Boyscout woods was perfect for setting up the party hooch....

dileas

tess

Back