• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

legendarysp said:
The basics of basic:....

Sounds like you had a rough go there buds.

Might have something to do with overanalyzing everything. Perhaps might involve you taking every small misfortune that occurred as an intentional act against you.

I am sure that little journal also did wonders at improving your situation. There are always two sides (or in this case "journals") to a story.

If you are still in I think you should take a step back and re-evaluate. I do agree that not everything (in fact a lot of things) runs smoothly in the military. That is true of any organization I can think of. What I take issue with is your general claim that intentionally nefarious acts are being committed by the entire training system and training staff cadre.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Shill?  Plants?  WTF did I just read?

Sounds like someone has watched too many conspiracy type movies....  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

[quote author=legendarysp]
You'll love it when you get to the point in your career that you realize that others are forced to respect you because you have a crown stitched to your chest...  Some branches with leaves on them help to impose your authority too.[/quote]

Blackmailing students who leave their Facebook wide open is another little secret.

fill your journal with everything that happened during the day.  I guarantee you, your superiors are NOT doing this. 
And make sure to keep your journal in your fanny pack with the rest of your things.

legendarysp said:
The basics of basic:

Here's the psychology:  The people put in charge of training recruits are there to MAKE SURE that you will be loyal to the military, and you will NOT report, or cause problems for, your superiors.  THIS is why they yell at you.  It's a test.  They give you conflicting orders on purpose.  If one of your platoon mates comes to you offering help or advice that seems too good to be true, like using hairspray on the bottom of your boots (which any dummy can tell would cause the ground to be sticky, and therefore attract dust bunnies on any surface you touch... especially in St. Jean) He's a plant.  The military for certain DOES use shills in their platoons, and they regularly come as "replacements" for those that have failed. 
:Tin-Foil-Hat: :Tin-Foil-Hat: :Tin-Foil-Hat: :Tin-Foil-Hat:

What a load...

I realize that Donald Trump thinks he's "legendary," but I didn't realize he was a member of this site.

What a complete load of utter horsesh*t!  There are good instructors and there are bad instructors (just as there are good and bad leaders), but I've never known one (in over 30 years of service) that tried to intentionally trip up a student.  Instructors are in fact judged on the number of successes they produce, not failures.

The sad part is that some poor kid reading this tripe is going to think it's true and act accordingly.  A platoon full of people who don't trust each other is a recipe for disaster.

Well I for one will not be taking any of this persons advice. From all the research I have done; basic is for learning that you cannot be an individual and that trusting your fellow platoon mates and working as a team will be what makes you successful.

I am looking forward to basic, meeting new people, and working as a team to get through. I know that the instructors do everything for a reason as to teach us how to work together and get used to life in the military.

Hopefully other recruits don't listen to his/her bad advice above. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when an instructor is saying "Everyone should be raising their hands to answer this question", He's really trying to single out people who don't know the answer, so he can make a fool out of them for not knowing it.  And if your hand is down, after him saying that... you're DEFINITELY going to get picked.

No what he is saying is we been over this more than once and it should be common knowledge by now. Kinda like just before your C 7 test he asks what the first thing you do when you pick up the rifle. By now everyone should know your supposed to do a safety check.

fake penguin said:
when an instructor is saying "Everyone should be raising their hands to answer this question", He's really trying to single out people who don't know the answer, so he can make a fool out of them for not knowing it.  And if your hand is down, after him saying that... you're DEFINITELY going to get picked.

No what he is saying is we been over this more than once and it should be common knowledge by now. Kinda like just before your C 7 test he asks what the first thing you do when you pick up the rifle. By now everyone should know your supposed to do a safety check.

Actually, what he means when he says "everyone one should be raising their hands..." is  that the question pertains to a piece of information that is considered fundamental to your training as a member of the CAF, and at that point in your basic training you should be so thoroughly fluent and comfortable with that piece of information, that there is no hesitation when asked to raise your hand.

Anything more than that is just pure none sense. Instructors are there to help you pass, not to help you fail. There may be a sadistic bad apple or two out there, but to make a blanket statement claiming that all instructors are out to embarrass their troops is just plain wrong and insulting.

You're clearly someone who has very little experience in the CAF. I would wager that you and legendarysp (if you're not the same person, which I'm pretty sure you are)  have either failed basic or you quit basic because you couldn't hack it.

Do the rest of the world a favour and keep your ignorance off of these forums. There are young and highly motivated potential members of the CAF who browse this site,  and the site and its members are here to help them along, not fill their heads with the drivel of a wash out.

[quote author=Lumber]
Do the rest of the world a favour and keep your ignorance off of these forums.
[/quote]

Perhaps a little harsh?  FakePenguin has been a member of the forum for at least 6 years  and it looks like considered for plq back in 2012.

I'd suspect ledgendarySP as being a CAF member who's bored and wants to feel clever by getting people riled up, no more no less.

Very harsh on Lumber's part, actually.

Fake penguin's first paragraph is actually the quote from legendarysp that fake penguin wishes to address. For some reason, it did not come out as a quote, but as regular text.

Fake penguin's position on the quoted part is actually the second paragraph, and it makes exactly the same point as Lumber: It means that by that point the answer to the question should have been mastered by all.

Ah! Written communication is such a difficult art to master. We all need to slow down some times, re-read and try to understand what is being communicated for a fact, and not for what we thought was said after a brief quick reading. I have been guilty of that more than once myself.

fake penguin said:

Jarnhamar said:
Perhaps a little harsh?  FakePenguin has been a member of the forum for at least 6 years  and it looks like considered for plq back in 2012.

I'd suspect ledgendarySP as being a CAF member who's bored and wants to feel clever by getting people riled up, no more no less.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Very harsh on Lumber's part, actually.

Fake penguin's first paragraph is actually the quote from legendarysp that fake penguin wishes to address. For some reason, it did not come out as a quote, but as regular text.

Fake penguin's position on the quoted part is actually the second paragraph, and it makes exactly the same point as Lumber: It means that by that point the answer to the question should have been mastered by all.

Ah! Written communication is such a difficult art to master. We all need to slow down some times, re-read and try to understand what is being communicated for a fact, and not for what we thought was said after a brief quick reading. I have been guilty of that more than once myself.

Woops! My bad!  :facepalm: Thanks for calling me out, guys.  :salute:

My sincere apologies FakePenguin. Without the "quote" box, I completely thought you were saying the same things as LegendarySP. Please disregard my insinuation that you and LengedarySP are one and the same.

The rest of my post? Harsh? Yes, but when you have friends working their asses off as instructors at basic trg trying to instill teamwork and integrity, reading this kind of hogwash really grinds my gears. His insinuations are utter and complete bull shit, and I call bull shit when I see it.  :threat:

No problem Lumber. Thanks  Jarnhamar and Oldgateboatdriver  for helping Lumber understand. Next time I be more clear on my post and show it as a  quote not a regular text.

Does anyone actually believe that the military uses plants in the platoons? Seems likena waste of time and resources

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I think it would be funny if true.

I have no idea if it actually takes place (and would be very surprised if it did), although several times during my basic training I observed some of my collegues in complete disbelief thinking  "there is no way you're a real person..."

Did BMQ twice (the weekend version and summer full time) and Land. Here are some tips from my own experiences.

1. DO THINGS WITH URGENCY. Everything is done with URGENCY. You do things as ordered, correctly, and quickly like your life depends on it. Don't ever walk, only marching or running. But don't even bother marching, just RUN!

2. MAKE TIMING! Everything is timed. Even if not given timing, you are still be timed (hence refer back to point #1 on URGENCY). If you were always the person that was late, all over the place in time management, I guarantee you that by the end of BMQ, you will be an ace at meeting timing, time management, or the very least will despise those who are late or don't grasp the concept of time management. I can't stress this point enough. Not making timing can result to the extremes of corrective remedial training, anyone who has done BMQ can vouch on them. Let's just say I rather do a 10km ruck.

3. PULL YOUR WEIGHT! At BMQ, everything is done as a team. As cliche as that sounds, but it's true. However, for things to be done as a team, everyone needs to pull their weight. So don't be that one person just standing around while everyone else is taking down chairs and tables or washing hay boxes. Your fellow peers and the staff are watching and will remember you for being a POS that never took initiative to do a task. Or don't be that loser who decides to lay around the cot/bunk while everyone else is cleaning their weapons or do something that's contributing to the well being of the section/platoon

4. Keep your kit organized! Label all your stuff, lock up all your stuff, and remember where your stuff are. All it takes is one person to forget where is their BFA or mag and BOOM, staff is pissed and you will be doing a show parade.

5. Don't be a SH*TPUMP. Just do everything contradictory to points #1 to #4 and you are a SH*TPUMP. But be careful on making judgement who is a SH*TPUMP, there are those who just slow getting things, but will be putting in all the effort in the world to get it.

6. You will get reviews for tests. Don't sweat it. If you fail a test, it's not the end of the world (trust me).

7. Bore snake and carbon scraper for cleaning your weapon. GET THESE TOOLS! There is a difference between 5x pulls on a bore snake vs. pulls with endless amounts of swab pads to clean the bore of your weapon. Likewise carbon scraper vs. brushes to clean the bolt carrier group.

8. Surgical gloves to clean your weapon or apply cam paint. Let's be real, why make a mess if you don't have to

9. Classroom lectures probably were my fav, because it is a relaxed environment. But if you are falling asleep, ask for permission or just stand up and go to the back or side of the room. Don't be a selfish *** and just let your fall asleep. If enough people fall asleep, staff will be pissed and you will be doing marching drills or push ups to get yourself and the platoon lively again. All that does is take away precious 'own time' for later. Always be wary of buddy to your left and right and in front. If they are falling asleep, tap on them. If they keep falling asleep, insist they get the **** up and go stand.

10. Weapons sweat. If you cleaned it the night before inspection, GREAT! but by morning at inspection, the staff will get traces of carbon when their swipe the charging handle on their arm or sticking their pinky into the chamber area because it has sweated. On the night before inspection, clean your weapon by removing all the carbon and such as best you could, but don't even bother lubing up the weapon with CLP after cleaning (unless the place is damp/humid). On the morning before inspection, run the bore snake through the bore a couple times again before inspection. Likewise wipe down the charging handle and bolt carrier group again. Then lube up your weapon with CLP so it's not dry.

11. STANDARDIZE YOUR KIT, YOUR BUDDY'S KIT, AND THE ENTIRE PLATOON! The logic is, let say you are the C9 gunner and in a fire fight. Buddy beside you in the trench is killed. You run out of ammo. Do you trust that your dead buddy is carrying the C9 ammo in his C9 pouch on the Tact vest? or actually, does he/she have a C9 pouch? if the staff doesn't post up diagrams of where things need to go, then come up with something as a section/platoon on where things need to go. Draw diagrams!

12. If you are on fire picket and don't need to patrol around the place, take this time to study for the test coming up. This will the very least keep you awake and make you productive.

13. There are going to be those moments (notably the beginning) in which you will question yourself on why you are at training and why you even joined. It will even be overwhelming. But everything gets easier! It will get easier because you are starting to get familiar with the military ways and likewise picking up methods along the way to make things easier on yourself. Think of it as starting a new job, you go there on the first day of not knowing anything, but you become a pro at it eventually. If you think it is tough? the staff who is training you and done BMQ before you probably and most likely had it a lot tougher than you! When it gets tough (which will happen right at the beginning), just dig in deep and ask yourself why you joined. If you doing a weekend BMQ, you know you will be released before 1700 on Sunday. Always have an eye on the prize to help you get through. On my full time Summer BMQ, me and another buddy were counting meals (eg. "we made it to lunch today, one more meal to go and we are done for the day."

14. Don't make your staff look bad. If let say everyone just did a cam paint exercise and everyone in the platoon was just instructed remove cam, remember to clean up the area where you just removed cam. Wherever you are doing BMQ, the armoury for instance is more than likely a shared space with the home unit or other units. All it takes is one non BMQ personnel to complain to a BMQ staff and **** will hit the fan. If you make the staff look bad, they will make you pay for it, BAD!

15. Your weapon is attached to you AT ALL TIMES! Need to take a dump? the weapon is in the stall with you. Sleeping at night? you sleep beside your weapon. Don't ever forget your weapon, likewise the mags/cleaning kit/bfa/sling that's also issued as well. Remember your weapon is the same concept of always remembering your kit. Don't ever forget anything. If you do see someone forgetting something and it's just laying there, pick it up for them and figure out later on who forgot it.

Hi guys,

I heard that the 13km ruck sack march has been done away with at BMOQ, and replaced with something called the Mach and Shoot. Is this true, and if so can anyone shed some light on what the March and Shoot entails? Thanks in advance,

Back