• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What knife would you recommend?

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
363.png

I'm here all week...... try the fish....... and tip your waiter......... ;D

Can't say this could be used in a civilian lifestyle except maybe hunting or living in northern remote regions of the country but makes a great gift
http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/30

Full-size USMC KA-BAR, Straight Edge

I had the perfect knife for the young militia soldiier.  Much like the OP I thoroughly investigated the options.  I conversed with my colleagues.  I searched magazines.  I thoroughly examined any and all displays of knives.  I listened to advice.

I bought a lovely folding Buck knife with an oiled wood handle and brass bindings.  It was everything I could have wanted in a knife.  In 1981 it cost me the princely sum of $90.  I was satisfied.

I took it with me on my first MITCP course in Orangeville.  I took it with me on my first field exercise in Borden.  And there it stayed. 

If the OP wants to examine it he should start looking for old trenches that were back-filled in 1981. 

From then on I used the cheapest knife I could find, preferably one that someone else gave me..... and made sure I tied it to myself with an idiot string.

But that's just me.

I have a Bear Grylls Gerber that you can start fires with.

It impresses my grandson.

Kirkhill said:
I had the perfect knife for the young militia soldiier.  Much like the OP I thoroughly investigated the options.  I conversed with my colleagues.  I searched magazines.  I thoroughly examined any and all displays of knives.  I listened to advice.

I bought a lovely folding Buck knife with an oiled wood handle and brass bindings.  It was everything I could have wanted in a knife.  In 1981 it cost me the princely sum of $90.  I was satisfied.

I took it with me on my first MITCP course in Orangeville.  I took it with me on my first field exercise in Borden.  And there it stayed. 

If the OP wants to examine it he should start looking for old trenches that were back-filled in 1981. 

From then on I used the cheapest knife I could find, preferably one that someone else gave me..... and made sure I tied it to myself with an idiot string.

But that's just me.
:goodpost:

I bothers me how some young soldiers spend their hard-earned small pay checks on expensive knives and LCF kit to then misuse it, wreck it or lose it; but, I guess it's part of the learning process...

I carry CRKT M17-13T pocket folder (http://www.crkt.com/M16-13-Titanium-Spear-Point-AutoLAWKS-Combo-Edge ) and occasionally, when required, a Spartan Harsey Difensa (http://spartanbladesusa.com/Spartan-Harsey-Difensa?zenid=aeb9c6269fa7759b86a8c7ff741ad7c4 )

But I have earned the disposable income to spend. If you have not, then follow Kirkhill's suggestion.

This, from an old fart with a bit of Mo' experience ....
31Y4AZZH2ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kirkhill's advice is good advice, too.

http://www.crkt.com/Ultima-5in-Black-Blade-Veff-Combo-Edge

This beast of a knife was given to all the Jr ranks in my unit after we lost our Mess when we changed buildings (they used what Mess dues they had collected to buy them). Way to much for what I'd pay out of pocket for a knife but I got it for free and its been serving me well.

Kirkhill said:

But that's just me.

Ding ding!  There's a surplus shop in Toronto with small pocket knives with two blades that go for $1.95 (plus HST).  When I'm in the neighbourhood I usually pick up 2 or 3, and over the course of a year or so they'll fall out of my pocket / be forgotten someplace / be given away.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Anthon3 said:
A seasoned veteran can make a cheap knife perform like an expensive one. Too many times I see people purchase the most expensive knife just to brag. I say, start with something less expensive and work your way up to something better IF your absolutely need to. Those $1.95 blades that dapaterson mentioned will work just fine.

I agree, Civi side I am a Chef, Do I have a $300 expensive knife in my kit? yes but I started out with cheap knifes, cause the blade is only as good as the skill of the user. A well kept $10 knife will serve you better then a $200 knife that you dont know how to use properly

Over thirty years ago I was given a strange little "Boker" knife(already old then) and told that it would be the most useful knife I would ever own. I think it is the most handy blade I've ever had.  Does this type of knife have a specific name? I'm not sure if Boker was simply the manufacturer.
boker002_zpsb26eb48a.jpg

My second favourite is a Columbia M1. The bit of serration on the blade is nice for cutting the bread in IMP's for making PB&J in morning. Just make sure if you get a lock blade the locking mechanism is metal on metal and that you need to break the metal to make the lock fail. I've had some folders fail on me like some others in this thread.

I've been really happy with my Gerber Big Rock. Owned it since 05 and hasn't let me down yet.

Big-Rock-Fine-Edge_fulljpg.jpg

Nemo888 said:
Over thirty years ago I was given a strange little "Boker" knife(already old then) and told that it would be the most useful knife I would ever own. I think it is the most handy blade I've ever had.  Does this type of knife have a specific name? I'm not sure if Boker was simply the manufacturer.
boker002_zpsb26eb48a.jpg

My second favourite is a Columbia M1. The bit of serration on the blade is nice for cutting the bread in IMP's for making PB&J in morning. Just make sure if you get a lock blade the locking mechanism is metal on metal and that you need to break the metal to make the lock fail. I've had some folders fail on me like some others in this thread.

This reminds me of my Grandmothers old paring knives.  She sharpened them so often that the blades looked a lot like this.  Perhaps at the time you were given it it had already been worn down.

I'm looking at buying a knife. Is that a worthwhile purchase? Would you recommend fixed blade or folding? What is your knife of choice?

It depends what you're going to use it for. A fixed blade is better for making PBJs at 03:00 when you're on fire picquet, won't gum up the works on a folder. I found a fixed blade for the most part to be an annoyance\cam net catcher. for an all round utility cutter, I'd recommend an Opinel, probably a number 9.  Sharp as a razor, cheap like rice, and has a very good blade lock in both open and closed configuration.  If I had to carry a fixed blade again, it would probably be a Mora stainless, for the same reason, cheap, very sharp, and not too upsetting if\when you lose it.  I've probably got a half dozen of each one around here somewhere.

Watch Crocodile Dundee for inspiration, if you're out to impress your RSM.

If not, watch it anyway. It's a good film.

:)

Attachments

• shave.jpg
    shave.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 478
Loachman said:
Watch Crocodile Dundee for inspiration, if you're out to impress your RSM.

If not, watch it anyway. It's a good film.
yes it will. I'm not an RSM anymore so go for it ;)

I have several lock blades, but I like the Buck the best.

Back