• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What knife would you recommend?

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Just need to add my 2¢. If you are looking for a "Rambo" knife you will be wasting your money. If you are looking for a utility knife, get one with a single blade. I recomend this because the army will provide you with a Gerber, and so you you need not waste your money on another fancy all-in-one knife, as you will have one. I find my Grohmann to be an excellent tool (this knife goes by many pseudonames through the forces: Jump Masters knife; Feild Engineer knife; knife, utility; and knife, Quartermaster), it is about four inches and has a fixed blade. It saves me having to fumble around with my Gerber in the dark to find the right blade, and is easier to work with when there is a lot of cutting to do. Works great on explosives, but that is probably not a consideration you need to worry about.

I‘ve had a whole mess of knives over the years. Swiss Army was nice, but trying to find a blade in the dark was kinda irritating. The Gerber Gator, and another one of theirs (forget which one) I picked up were garbage. Lost their edge fast, and literally fell apart. Since ‘92 i‘ve used a Spyderco Endura. Sharp, and one hand opening...very useful very often. Their Police model is nice, also. I ditched the Gerber multi-tool (No needle nose pliers? What the heck were they thinking!) and got a Leatherman Wave, one of the new pattern. A great investment. As for the Rambo knife set, well, it is an awfully easy way to tell a professional from a wannabe. :p

I‘ve had no problems with my Gerber gator. But whatever.

Don‘t sweat the whole knife thing. All you need is a good knife that will cut and that you can get at easily.

Last summer I bought a great kinfe: a British Army model Ghurka Khukuri. I got it from Himalayan Imports in Reno, Nevada (Himalayan Imports). The guy who runs the company is great to deal with and a real genuine fellow.

The knives are made by Nepali Kamis (master knife-makers) out of Mercedes leaf springs. Check out the site and read up on these legendary knives. Mine is a great piece of kit. It sits nicely on my webbing and is used as a machette, axe, or for more delicate work. As for using it as a "killing" tool, I can only refer readers of this to the various histories of the Ghurkas, because there are precious few members of the CF who have any first-hand experience as killers, and probably none whatsoever who have killed with a knife. Wannabes like to talk of such things, though...probably just far too much T.V. if you ask me.

Anyway, the knife has proven very useful and I‘m extremely please with it.

Just to add my bit to the pot. I would have to agree with McG. A combo of the issue Gerber and the Field Engineer/Jump Knife has served me well. The gerber contains all the tools you need and the knife provides a handy blade when required. Between the two you can do just about anything or so I‘d like to think. As an added bonus if you are creative enough at Qm you can probably by an FE knife there at a fairly reasonable price. Then unless you lose it, if anything happens to it you can always exchange it.

All the above advice is great, give you most of the pros and cons you need to make a decision. Carry what your comfortable with (as long as it‘s legal). Morale is a great thing and if your happy you‘ll do a better job. Personally, the leatherman supertool I carry works for almost every thing. On the other extreme, after looking, reading and listening to advise from all over, I designed and made my own. I cut a blank blade from an old chain saw bar with a gas axe, spent time with a disc grinder shaping, smoothing, etc. Cut the handle to fit MY hand. Spent many hours putting a good edge on it(has‘nt needed it since except minor tune ups). Then made a nice leather sheath. It‘s mine, I‘m proud of it, has never let me down and is a great conversation peice whenever it‘s taken out to do work. The choice is yours, if they let you carry it and your comfortable with it, you‘ll be happier and worry about other stuff that matters more. Willie!
recceguy :D

Two: one fixed blade, one folder

for heavy abusive work a K-BAR, what can I say I'm a Former Marine (or something of similar design)

For Light more detailed work a William W. Harsey designed T2 Ranger (handle one and you'll understand)

oh and a note as to a handy feild tool....  take a look at Cold Steel's lil copy of the Russian e-tool, built like a tank, no stinking folding handles to break and outta the bag it wall double as a hand axe. and Cheap too. price wise, not quality wise.

not something I'd wanna dig to China with, but it has it's place.

I carry the Swiss Army 2 inch blade with scisors, file, and tweezers/tooth pic. The greatest pice of kit ever. On my webbing is the issue M9 Aussie contract Buck.

It works for me.

Cheers,

Wes

I owned a Desert Dagger and always wore it, why? LCF (look cool factor).

Grohman all the way I aggre with master blaster (ya alot of us carried such a knife at one time or another)

But a multi tool is always awesome to have aswell, especiially when they issued the Gerber (an excellent brand as they also guarntee for life) and it was free!

Never was a fan of Kabars though,

either way have fun, you will have a lifetime in the forces to pick the butter knife of choice.

Dileas Gu Brath (had to give my token peace up to my peeps)

tess
:dontpanic:

McG said:
 I find my Grohmann to be an excellent tool (this knife goes by many pseudonames through the forces: Jump Masters knife; Feild Engineer knife; knife, utility; and knife, Quartermaster), it is about four inches and has a fixed blade.  It saves me having to fumble around with my Gerber in the dark to find the right blade, and is easier to work with when there is a lot of cutting to do.  Works great on explosives, but that is probably not a consideration you need to worry about.

A truly spectacular little knife - which I carry whenever in the field - or camping.  It does a great job of spreading pate as well...

Oh well keep itfresh I guess!lol!
I carry both a leatherman wave and a FE Knife,not because I'm a knife freak,but each has its own purpose
in life.the FE knife is simple,and therein lies it greatest asset in the field.Besides its made in my home province...Nova Scotia!!!

Burrows said:
We do all realise that this thread is originally from 2000 right?

Ouch that was long ago,

we are talking about shivs after all, not current events...so I guess we are not really looking too bad or dated.

tess

Hey, at least you won't have to do this all over again for the next guy who asks this question.

As a civillian...For me a good utility knife needs to be usefull with one hand..hence I love my little Kershaw folding knife.
http://www.kershawknives.com/

It's 4" blade seems to be enogh, and it is easy to open and close with one hand. I have used it from zillions of camping trips, film industry/stage work, to westcoast mushroom picking (chanterells, and pines not magic).  ;D I haven't tried shaving with it yet but I'm sure I could as it is very sharp, and holds a nice edge.

I had a Ka-bar years back, but wasn't impressed with 1" inch of the tip snapping away after dropping from waist height into the lawn...so I'd never buy one again.

For the record I also have a Cold steel SRK (my baby), and a leatherman, not to forget my trusty Brazilian machetti (Mr. Choppy)...which just won't die.  Anything for real combat I'll let the CF supply/pay for/replace when it breaks.

Besides which in the right hands a sharpened flat-head screw driver can do the job of a $300.00  "rambo" knife.  ;)

Cheers!
P.

Burrows said:
We do all realise that this thread is originally from 2000 right?

Hmmm ... "diamonds are forever ... but knives never go out of style".
As also noted - keeping this thread alive saves us from having to do it all over again ... and again ... and ...

point  seen bossi and now....For the REALLY REALLY BAD NEWS!

I now need a new knife and or multitool....I lost both my Gerber AR55 Black Blade Serrated and my Crap 2$ Multitool...And my CO told me I wasnt allowed to burn down the 7 foot tall wild growth field... :crybaby:

Now what would you guys reccomend...I can either go with another knife new of both or another multitool.. Im kinda leaning towards the multitool at least first..I might buy another knife later...I would prefer to get one thats like the one the CF issues...Could anyone help me in the event that its sold commercially whast the model? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Burrows

Stick to Gerber, it was issued and a very good brand. if yer going single blade well..

one word then..

Grohman

tess

Back