• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is training at the Depot like from day to day?

Lost_Warrior

Inactive
Reaction score
To anyone currently serving in the RCMP, I was just wondering what training at the depot is like from day to day.  I am seriously considering a career in the RCMP.  The whole IT industry is boring the heck out of me.  Even my current Reserve career isn't bringing balance to the boredom.

I was just wondering what to expect at the depot should I pass the selection process.  Is it like being on course in the army?  Up early, an hour of PT, shower/eat/class/more PT etc etc.

How much class work is done compared to actual PT.  I was reading the RCMP web site and it seems like a BMQ course.  It would be nice to get “back in the game” 

If anyone has any insight on this, it would be greatly appreciated.  I have an information session to go to on the 27th of March, but I figured I would ask a few questions here first.

Thanks in advance.

Join the RCMP and become part of the most famous and proffessional federal paramilitary police force on the planet  :salute:  I have just finished the aptitude test and waiting for results. Good for you for looking into it as a careeer. The reserve work will help alot ( apparently )

Typical depot day
Time Activity
0600 hours Reveille
0630–0700 hours Morning Parade
0700–0800 hours Breakfast (there may be physical activities on designated days)
0800–1205 hours Classes
1205–1330 hours Lunch
1250–1320 hours Sergeant Major‘s Parade (on designated days)
1330–1630 hours Classes
1630–1830 hours Dinner
1800–2300 hours Assignments and skill practice
2300 hours Lights out

I joined the Force in 2001 after spending 16 years in the infantry.  I was very disappointed in the training.  It is VERY light on the physical fitness and HEAVY on the touchy feeling stuff.

The Force has lots of room for specialization, ie. ident, PDS etc, but general duty policing is not up to snuff with our counterparts in most large municipal forces.  We tend to "rest on our laurels" and talk about being progressive, while we invent new computer programs to keep the GD guys tied to the office.

In short, think hard before joining the RCMP.  If I were to do it all over again, I would opt for a large municipal force, ie. Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Wpg.  Their pay is close to ours and you can buy a home and stay there for your service.  You can establish roots, have your kids make lifelong friends etc.  Also, Calgary and Edmonton have some of the strickest physical and operational standards in the country.

My two cents, if you would like more, feel free to drop me a line.

Jay

Some good points bick,

It all comes down to what you really want to do. If you want to serve on a muni force and spend years and years doing the same job then go for it. The RCMP is appealing to me because there are so many different jobs you can do ( Marine, dog master, air , ERT, embassy, VIP bodygaurd and so on )

muni  :rage:

RCMP  :salute:

Plus if you grew up watching cartoons with mounties in it..or due south...your hooked.

All fine and dandy, once you are in, you'll realize transfers to other specialties is not as easy as you may think.

My troopmate left the force before we were done RFT and joined York Regional Police.  Within 3 years, he was a dogmaster, I have never heard of this in the RCMP.

Crown Loyal, good luck with the RCMP.  As with any job, it has it's ups and downs.

Lost_Warrior, good luck to you.  Remember, all police forces in Canada are recruiting and they are having a hard time finding people to even apply.

Thanks for the info guys.  I was a bit disappointed to hear they don't emphasize PT that much.  Is there much military style yelling/dicipline?

I also know that the police force in my city (Montreal) are recruiting a lot.  The only bad side is their 3 year Police Tech program, which I would need to spend half of that time in an all french police training center.  I would do it, but believe it or not, my french sucks.

I can however, apply directly to the Montreal police force if I have RCMP training and 1 year active service.

If things don't work out with the RCMP (they stick me in the middle on but f**k nowhere, and I become bored out of my mind), I can fall back on joining the Montreal police force without having to go through their year and a half long all french training school.

We'll see I guess.

Lost Warrior....

I tell you this right now, if your not willing to serve anywhere in Canada, as your sign-up agreement will state, then don't waste the RCMP's time applying.  I'm not saying that to be cruel or try to start an arguement, but you will be taking up a spot that a willing recruit can have, and we need all the people we can get right now.

As for going to butt f**k nowhere, I'm glad that I did right out of Depot.  It forced me to shut my mouth and use my head more often.  Your not as apt to run off at the mouth and get into a fight if your back-up is in bed asleep and the next closest Detachment is an hour away.  Trust me, you will lose if you go and try to break up a noisy party on the Res by yourself if you don't learn how to treat people.

The pay issue.  We have an agreement with the Treasury Board to make the average og the top three piad Police Departments in Canada, which thus far, they have stuck with (maybe a little late, but still there).  And you make your top wage as a Constable in three years as opposed to seven or eight with most municipal forces.  And our benefits package is second to none.

Depot is a police college now, nothing more.  There is some drill, some PT classes (you are expected to do a fair bit on your own), and a whole lot of theory.  Your days are long, no doubt.  But in the end, I'm proud to say I'm a Mountie rather than a muni.  I think you will find if you are looking for esprit de corps you will find a lot more of it in the RCMP than with a municipal force.

Just out of curiousity how long does the applications really take?The web page says one thing but in real life how long does a candidate have to wait?

Im very interested in ERT teams as I worked with them a few months back on a joint tasking.How long does it usually take to get into the ERT?Is it an "old boy's club" or does a member apply as in JTF 2?

thanks in advance

rcac_011 said:
Just out of curiousity how long does the applications really take?The web page says one thing but in real life how long does a candidate have to wait?

Im very interested in ERT teams as I worked with them a few months back on a joint tasking.How long does it usually take to get into the ERT?Is it an "old boy's club" or does a member apply as in JTF 2?

thanks in advance

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/postings_duties_e.htm

"As you gain valuable policing experience, more and different opportunities will become available to you"

You dont just walk into the ERT. You need time in for it, as their website implies. The recruiting process for the RCMP is absolutely exhausting, expect over a year easily.

The training that is delivered at Depot is constantly evolving to reflect changing trends in policing.  Many, many years ago when I went through Depot training was physically demanding (anyone out there remember the 500 mile club?) and the academics were very much an individual thing. Yes you got yelled at, did countless pushups, were insulted, and pulled extra duties, or were confined to barracks for seemingly trivial matters.  That was the style of the day.  Even before I left Depot the syllabus for the next years troops was different from our troop.  We, as a Force, got away from this style of training and stressed the academics over the physical aspect of training.  Requirments to gain entry also changed.  Now you are expected to arrive with certain skills already obtained.  We had swimming and first aid classes.  Time that probably would have been better spent doing scenario training...
As for a muni force or the RCMP, you have to look at what you want to accomplish.  Yes, when you sign on the dotted line, you are entering into a contract to serve anywhere in Canada.  Now with international protocols in place that can be anywhere the government is willing to commit resources.  This is true with the muni forces however you will find the RCMP fills the majority of overseas deployments.
You can join the OPP or the SQ

Sh0rtbUs said:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/postings_duties_e.htm

"As you gain valuable policing experience, more and different opportunities will become available to you"

You don't just walk into the ERT. You need time in for it, as their website implies. The recruiting process for the RCMP is absolutely exhausting, expect over a year easily.

thanks a lot shortbus,I really did not comprehend the web page.My question clearly states how long in "real life". I.E not according to the web page, as pers who have spent more than 1.5 years in a organisation would know what is publicised is not always correct.

Also I believe I clearly asked about the speciality training from someones perspective from the inside of the RCMP not a reservist who cannot be serving in the RCMP due to his part time commitment to our great country.

I'm guessing by "it takes over a year" is from yourself trying.Thanks FOT THAT piece of info.

Any current or past serving RCMP out there become part of ERT? How long did it take to get into?prerequisites?
Thanks again.

Sit on something today, or are you always this arrogant?

::)

You may find ERT discussions hard to come by, considering OPSEC anyways.

I suggest toning down, it isnt going to get you far.

I believe it is very toned down and professional any arguments PM, and leave the board for discussion.

thanks

rcac_011 said:
I believe it is very toned down and professional any arguments PM, and leave the board for discussion.

thanks

PM inbound.

Minimun of three years service before you can apply for ERT, although regionally I have heard this is "flexible" due to manpower shortages.  I plan on trying out next year, and I've been in for eight years.  No matter what the job in the RCMP, you need a good solid footing in General Duty Policing and that takes time.

Thanks a lot blackhorse. I see you had reg force time.Did you transfer from reg's over to depot?How long did your processing take?

Good luck on selection

I did various security jobs for two years in between my time in the CF and the RCMP.  I think from the time I filled out my application to getting the call to go to Depot was almost a year.  It's funny, because during the application process there is a lot of hurry-up and wait (heavy on the wait part...), and then out of the blue you will get a call saying, "Condradulations! you've been accepted.  Can you be here in two weeks?"

I actually said no, as it would not be fair to my employer.  They said okay, how about three weeks.  ::)

Before I joined the forces I was with EPS in a youth mentorship program for two years. If you like doing rural policing, and want lots of oppurtunities then by all means go for RCMP. However you get alot of the same oppurtunities going with a civie force and even Military Police which seems to be at the same standard as civilian police forces. I plan on applying for the RCMP or a police service once I am done my contract, simply because from when I was exposed to law enforcement I loved every minute of it.

Futuretrooper-

Lot's of opportunities, definitely. However I am in my seventh year in the Force and have never worked a day of rural policing, save for the BC Fires. It all depends on where you are posted initially from Depot.

That being said, if you put in for an Limited Duration Posting(LDP) from the LMD with 2 years of service, you stand a really good chance of getting what you wish for. Alternatively if you ask for the LMD (Richmond, N Van, Surrey, Burnaby, Coquitlam ect) straight out of training you stand a good chance of that as well.

Noneck

Well thats another positive about the RCMP as well, if I wanted to I could do urban policing as well since the RCMP is present in so many parts of the country.

Back