• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What if....A Super disaster? Impact on Canada or the world? Napkin speculation

These technocrats are successful people and for the most part they aren't stupid. They push policies that cause food and fuel prices to rise in the name of stopping climate change. They know full well the poorest of the poor will die in massive numbers from these policies. Those poorest are also the worst polluters.

But that is a sacrifice these technocrats seem willing to make. Farquaad_sacrifice_quote.jpg

I actually respect the hippies that go out , live a minimal lifestyle and grow most of their own food.

The closer I get to retirement, the more I look forward to having time to put towards a decent garden, hunting, fishing and having time to support local producers etc.

Small projects along the way though; we moved to what we consider are home we will remain at after I’m out. Solar power, rain catchment for the garden…lots to do and it’s the type of work I’m actually enjoying putting together.

And the societal break with anything to do with food production. The disconnect between farm to table has never been greater. Sure the local and organic trend is here. But its an expensive luxury not a real system.

Look at the EU and future Canadian rules about fertilizer. I can't believe we are even going there. Technocrats making rules with zero understanding of food production. At least I hope that's the case because if its not its just evil.
But back to the topic. How many can hunt and grow their own food. Yes many on here can but most can not. I know I can't. Hunt yes maybe. But grow food? I kill the house plants.

Hunting is the easy part. The work all comes after you fire the shot and take down the animal.

Aw....

Mega-volcanoes less of an extinction risk than once thought, B.C. researchers find​

The study could help improve warning systems for volcanoes — and the tsunamis, hot rock avalanches, and plumes of ash that come with them.

This isn't our first go around. Earth has witnessed extinction events before. However, humans are like cockroaches. There's always a few left that start us on another round of evolution.

World wide events would simply lead to a total breakdown of society and rules a la Mad Max.

I envision the grid going down and lighting the fuse. Survivors will be forced to carry around little balls of flame, because without the internet, they won't know how to start a fire themselves. Mass starvation because they don't know how to forage or hunt. Cannibalism, because that will just be the easiest protein to find. An almost instant rise in communicable disease like cholera, dysentery, plague and others. Eventually, like minded groups will start finding each other. Sharing what knowledge they have individually and the whole ball of wax starts forming again.

Not as well done as AR's scenario, but my meagre contribution anyway.

Last edited:
This isn't our first go around. Earth has witnessed extinction events before. However, humans are like cockroaches. There's always a few left that start us on another round of evolution.

World wide events would simply lead to a total breakdown of society and rules a la Mad Max.

I envision the grid going down and lighting the fuse. Survivors will be forced to carry around little balls of flame, because without the internet, they won't know how to start a fire themselves. Mass starvation because they don't know how to forage or hunt. Cannibalism, because that will just be the easiest protein to find. An almost instant rise in communicable disease like cholera, dysentery, plague and others. Eventually, like minded groups will start finding each other. Sharing what knowledge they have individually and the whole ball of wax starts forming again.

Not as well done as AR's scenario, but my meagre contribution anyway.

Sarcastic Not Funny GIF

Aw....

Mega-volcanoes less of an extinction risk than once thought, B.C. researchers find​

The study could help improve warning systems for volcanoes — and the tsunamis, hot rock avalanches, and plumes of ash that come with them.

I was in Shilo when Mt St Helens erupted. Within a week we had ash covering all the furniture in the house in a thin film.

I don't want to be in Southern Ontario when the Yellowstone Caldera finally realizes that it's cycle is 640,000 years and it's due to erupt again -- checking watch -- yup, that's right about NOW.

It's not much further than St Helens to Shilo; a whole bigger thing; and we're right downwind.

😖

I was in Shilo when Mt St Helens erupted. Within a week we had ash covering all the furniture in the house in a thin film.

I don't want to be in Southern Ontario when the Yellowstone Caldera finally realizes that it's cycle is 640,000 years and it's due to erupt again -- checking watch -- yup, that's right about NOW.

It's not much further than St Helens to Shilo; a whole bigger thing; and we're right downwind.

😖
If that zit pops any time soon, we're all in the splash zone.

😖
I was in Comox when she went up. Now, I live in South Detroit, so the air won't be much different

Survivors will be forced to carry around little balls of flame, because without the internet, they won't know how to start a fire themselves. Mass starvation because they don't know how to forage or hunt. Cannibalism, because that will just be the easiest protein to find.
Guess I better watch my copy of "Quest For Fire" every 6 months or so to keep my knowledge up.

😖
I was in Calgary and I recall my car being dusty all the time.

😖
Hazy Grey for at least a week and a layer of ash on everything at the Ninga farm as I recall. If Yellowstone goes up, well my family won’t have to worry about protein because they’ll be in Valhalla.

Back