• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

wHAT DO CDNs think of this story? - Judy Sgro Steps Down

M

MAJOR_Baker

We have similar problems south of the border, however I was wondering what CDNS think of this?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...968793972154&DPL=IvsNDS/7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

ROBERT CRIBB
IN TORONTO
BRUCE CAMPION-SMITH
IN OTTAWA

Federal Immigration Minister Judy Sgro will step down today following allegations she promised a Brampton man asylum in Canada in exchange for assisting in her election campaign.

Sgro's decision to step aside came only hours after the Toronto Star obtained a copy of an affidavit in which pizza shop owner Harjit Singh claims Sgro pressed him to supply food and workers for her campaign last spring.

Singh, a father of three facing deportation from Canada, alleges in the sworn affidavit filed in the Federal Court of Canada in Toronto yesterday that when word of his arrangement with Sgro started to leak out, Sgro suddenly reneged on the deal and last month ordered his arrest and removal from Canada "to save her job."

Last night, federal sources confirmed that Sgro, 60, already at the centre of an ethics investigation over her conduct as immigration minister, would be leaving cabinet until she can clear her name.

Sgro, who is MP for York West, was named to cabinet just over a year ago. She is the first of Prime Minister Paul Martin's ministers to step down under a cloud.

In the June 28 federal election, Sgro won her riding with nearly 65 per cent of the votes cast.

"She's going to be stepping aside (today)," a federal source said last night.

"She absolutely denies the claims in the document. She intends to fight this vigorously," the source said. "She is obviously very hurt and upset but realizes these are serious allegations."

"In order to fight them appropriately she feels that she should step aside so she does not distract from the important work of the government," the source said.

Sgro, who was at the Prime Minister's office in Ottawa last night, was not available to comment. An official statement from the government is expected today.

Sgro has also been recently fighting allegations that a Romanian stripper was granted a ministerial permit to stay in Canada after she volunteered on Sgro's election campaign.

Word of the affidavit reportedly came like a bombshell to Sgro, who in recent days had been expressing hope that she would soon escape the cloud of allegations that has hung over her since last fall. The allegations are being investigated by the federal ethics commissioner.

Singh, who is facing deportation next Thursday pending a last-minute hearing, says in his affidavit that he approached Sgro last year to assist him with immigration problems he and his family were having.

"I told her my whole situation and she assured me that if I helped out in her election campaign she would get me immigration in Canada," says the father of three in his affidavit.

Singh, who came to Canada from India in 1988, helped Sgro as she asked, including pizza deliveries to her campaign office, he says in his affidavit.

"I own a pizza store in Brampton and Judy said that she wanted me to deliver pizza, garlic bread etc., to her campaign office in North York. I did this. She also said that she needed 15-16 people to help work in her campaign. I organized this for her as well."

Sgro has spent much of her time lately fending off high-profile allegations that she dispensed political favours.

It was recently revealed Alina Balaican, a 25-year-old stripper from Romania, was granted a ministerial permit to stay in Canada after she volunteered on Sgro's election campaign.

Balaican's husband has told the Star that people with immigration problems flocked to Sgro's campaign office during the election.

Sgro's problems are the focus of an investigation by federal ethics commissioner Bernard Shapiro, who is probing claims that she dispensed favours to Singh and Balaican and allegations that she had senior advisers doing campaign work while on the government payroll.

Last night, Micheline Rondeau-Parent, spokesperson for Shapiro, said the investigation was still going on and suggested the final report is weeks away.

In recent days, Sgro has expressed optimism she would be cleared by Shapiro's probe.

But Singh's claims are significant because they accuse Sgro directly of improperly using her influence as a cabinet minister. It's the first time allegations have linked the minister - and not merely her aides - to political favours.

The affidavit says Sgro told him to speak with her senior policy adviser, Ihor Wons, who would "handle everything." Wons hasn't returned to Sgro's office after taking a month-long leave of absence in December. He took the leave following revelations that he met the co-owner of a Toronto strip club who wanted to get 18 strippers from the Dominican Republic into Canada.

Officials in Sgro's office say he's not likely to return.

Wons could not be reached for comment last night.

Singh's immigration problems were rooted in charges he faced in 2000 for forgery and perjury when immigration officials alleged he had travelled to India on someone else's passport.

He vigorously denies the charges in the court documents, saying, "I can only assume that this is part of an effort made by certain persons to frame me for crimes that I did not commit. I am completely innocent."

The charges were stayed in court after an Indian police inspector testified that Singh was not the person who had travelled on the passport, the affidavit says.

After Sgro won her seat in the election last year, Wons told Singh "that he would forward the clearance to immigration in Ottawa," says the affidavit.

Included in the court documents is a certificate signed by Sgro thanking Singh for his "outstanding contribution to my 2004 re-election campaign."

But Sgro's friendly relationship with Singh was about to sour.

"Ihor called me and told me that there is a lady working under Sgro, her name is Katherine Abbott, and that whatever had happened in Toronto regarding my case and other people's cases, Katherine had opened her mouth and talked about it."

When contacted last night, Abbott refused to comment.

The growing threat of publicity triggered an about-face in Sgro's office, says Singh, whose court file includes as exhibits copies of two Star news stories about allegations of inappropriate arrangements between Sgro and constituents seeking immigration help.

"Ihor also told me that now because of Katherine opening her mouth, it has put Judy into trouble, so he said that Judy will not be able to do anything for me regarding my situation," Singh says in the affidavit.

"He requested me not to talk to the media regarding my case."

It was clear at this point that Sgro was not going to honour the arrangement, Singh concluded.

But beyond the failed deal, things became much worse on Boxing Day when Singh was arrested and taken into custody, the affidavit says.

In a detention review on Dec. 30, he says he was told that an arrest warrant was issued against him because he had failed to report to authorities on Dec. 6.

He claims he actually did report that day but was told to return Jan. 3.

Singh says in his affidavit that he has been required to sign in with immigration authorities regularly since 2001 and has always done so.

"There is no reason why I would miss this date," he says.

Around the same time, he says, an immigration lawyer from Ottawa called his house asking for him.

"My family informed me that she asked what the problems were and she said that I had allegations against me by Judy Sgro."

Singh says in the statement that he is "overwhelmed" by what has happened to him and fearful of being deported.

"I have been here for 16 years and have no criminal record. My whole family is here and my wife's grave is here. I have worked hard in Canada. What am I going to do if I am sent back to India? I have no one there. My family, my business and all of my property is here in Canada."

Wennie Lee, Singh's Toronto lawyer, said last night that she has requested a hearing on Monday to seek an injunction against the deportation order. That hearing date has not yet been confirmed.

She said she has advised Singh not to speak publicly until the hearing is complete.

It does have an air of desperation around it,[ie trying to stop his deportation] but there must be some fire inside that office as the smoke is definitely thick around it. :mad:

I think the guy should be able to stay. He obviously has been here for awhile and has created a life for himself and his family. I think it would be terrible to send him back now after 16 years. I think Sgro totally got people to work on her campaign for favors,if not then why did her aide just quit. It seems suspicious that this is the second person to come forward.

What this looks like to me is another case in the continuing saga of an utter lack of "Ministerial Responsibility" in the current government. A tradition that "the buck stops here" died some time ago, with subordinates playing the role of fall guy (Lee Majors did a better job, and even though the show was awful, it was better as fiction than as government policy).

The CF, of course, knows how much damage the lack of ministerial responsibility can do - look at all the guys who are now serving members of the infantry who will, as soon as they retire, identify themselves primarily as former members of the Canadian Airborne Regiment (I know of a handful who have stated that they will not be active their current regiment's Regimental Association until after they have their membership in the CAR Association.

This Canadian thinks this is exactly what we deserve for letting this Liberal government get away with this stuff year-after-year-after-year.

It is our job as citizens to hold our governments accountable and we don't.

Hopefully, one day we'll learn our lesson but based on the high approval ratings for how the public perceived Paul Martin handled the Tsunami crisis, I'm not holding my breath.

Matthew.    ::)

This isn't the first time that someone who has contributed to Canada in some way has been deported.  There are numerous such cases.  Just recently a Lebanese man who had opened a chain of Pizza places in Nova Scotia was deported.  A retired English couple who had set up a Bed and Breakfast in New Brunswick and hired several locals, were deported.  It seems that if you are attempting to legitimately become a member of Canadian society, you are an easy target for deportation.  If you are like the Iranian in Ottawa, who recently got an early parole for Armed Robbery, sued the Cdn Gov't three times while in prison, and was facing a deportation order in 1991, only to murder and disfigure the body of his sister-in-law, you can stay.  How many Somali War Lords, Jamaican Gang members, Russian Mafia, etc are running around free in this country, hiring high priced Emigration Lawyers, tying up our legal system?  Why are the criminals being allowed to stay, and honest folk getting deported?

GW

Now thats the easiest question yet, George.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$                      LIBERAL PARTY                    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$                      LIBERAL PARTY

The love the fact that there was a family that immigrated here, publicly came forward and said that 9/11 was a good thing and the young son is using our health care cause he is sick with some illness. This was a big story awhile ago, but I cant remember all the details. I love that in Canada, you can come here, commit crime, live in our jails and sue our government. We are a haven for criminals, and terrorists.

My aunt lived here for 30 years and was just recently deported.
English Born, worked for Mary Kay.
Her words "If I'm the kind of person they're tossing out, I'm more then happy to leave because lord knows who is staying"

I think Blackshirt said it all.

Winston Churchill once said that the best argument against democracy was a five-minute conversation with the average voter.   Nevertheless, he was a supporter of democracy.

An electorate which operates on surface impressions.   Paul Martin hasn't been in the country much since he was elected.   The reason?   Well, if he's out of the country, he's being a "statesman".   Plus, he doesn't have to answer embarassing questions he can't answer.   He can just make pronouncements about how much money "the government" is giving to this cause or that cause, as if the money came from his personal reserve fund, and wasn't coming from the Canadian Taxpayer.  Since most electors don't actually pay attention to the political process, they keep the vague impression of him doing a good job, because they never bothered to look at what he actually did.  They just remember he was in poor underprivileged countries, talking about Canadian largesse.  What a swell guy!

People used to talk about the "tax & spend" Liberals, but nowadays, everyone seems to feel that the *Liberals* or *the government* are spending their money on good causes...and they never think about where the money comes from for them to do that....they've forgotten the "tax" part of that equation, and that all these "gifts" come out of our pocket.

Wow, another Liberal scandal...who would have thought that could happen???

Just recently a Lebanese man who had opened a chain of Pizza places in Nova Scotia was deported.

Do you know this man's name?  I have an inkling of who it might be and, if so, he had more than a few problems with the law while in Canada.  Just curious.

If you are here illegaly then deport them, I am tired of hearing these people living here with out going thrue the proper rule and regs only for our bleeding hearts to give in. As for the poltician/ minster she should be tried for the damages she has casued the undermining of the secrity to our country. I think poilticians shoudl be held accountable for their actions such as member of the miltary are. They shoudl not just be asked to resign, only to move into a new job else where. This is a prime example of the buddy buddy system that is far to common, here and else where that casues the problem that we have around the world. How many of the bad people has she and others let in because of the same type of situation. And how many of these people have we let stay because we seem to feel sorry for them. If you have been living ilegally in My country for any amount of time and you are caught then you shoudl be deported. and have any costs incured charged to you, (not like most would be able to pay) But the fact is we have a system that has been laughed at time and time again by the very people we do not want and then to have a minister carry on like has been done needs to be punished.  If you are illegal then do the right thing and apply properly or get out. If you are a goverment official and you are lacking in your job performance then maybe a few weeks in a military jail might smarten you up, and the rest of you clowns, do your job, to the best of your ability, even if it means that you maynot have all the tools to do it. We in the military have been doing this for years to mantain the Country that we all live in. only to have you cut corners and cause everything that we stand for to go down the drain.
a big THANK YOU to those ungratefull politicians.

Wow, more charges [a la Sheila Copps] that some of the "changes" were from within the Liberal party,...can the sharks smell blood in the water?

Updated Sat. Jan. 15 2005 10:02 AM ET

Sgro blames political enemies for her downfall
CTV.ca News Staff

The allegations that forced Judy Sgro to resign from her post as federal Immigration Minister were politically driven by her enemies, both within and outside her own party, she alleges.
"Everybody wants into cabinet," Sgro told The Globe and Mail, charging that the allegations were the result of a deliberate smear campaign.

"If they see you with the slightest bit of a problem, there are always people who think they have a chance at getting your job, who will even assist your opposition."

Sgro's rivalry with Joe Volpe who succeeded her as Immigration Minister was well-known in the party.

Sources told The Globe that Volpe had been prepared to take over for several weeks.

And in a December interview with the paper, Sgro said Volpe "wanted her job".

Volpe's response to the cabinet shuffle was that Sgro "has done a fine job of laying the foundation. We want to build on those."

Martin told reporters he reluctantly accepted Sgro's resignation during a meeting on Friday morning.

"I understand why she wanted to do it," he said.

"She wants to have a completely free hand to defend herself against these allegations. And I am sure that she will succeed in doing that."

Sgro resigned following a report in Friday's Toronto Star about a Toronto-area pizza shop owner named Harjit Singh who has been fighting deportation for several years.

He has been filing for immigration based on humanitarian grounds since 1988 when he and his wife first sought asylum.

His arguments have ranged from his wife's kidney disease, who has since died, to his own depression and a bad back.

Court documents also show Singh was part of a $1-million credit and debit card scam with his three children, The Star reported Saturday.

He was not convicted of a criminal offence.

Singh is also involved in another civil suit for not paying a $57,000 legal bill to the lawyer who defended him.

Citing a sworn affidavit from the Federal Court of Canada, the paper said Singh approached the Toronto MP last year to ask for help with his family's immigration problems.

"I told her my whole situation and she assured me that if I helped out in her election campaign she would get me immigration in Canada," said the father of three who came from India.

Singh, who faces possible deportation next Thursday, alleged Sgro broke their deal when allegations of scandal in her office began to surface late last year.

Sgro dismissed Singh's charges as "outrageous fabrications" and denied ever talking to him.

Sgro has proclaimed her innocence, insisting she only quit to spare the government more controversy, and to fight harder to clear her name.

"As long as I'm the minister, I can only say 'I can't comment, can't comment.' And I can't stand that. I want to be out here defending my name," she told CTV News.

Sgro said she suspects Singh's motives.

"He's a desperate man. He's been in this country 20 years. He's about to be deported and he doesn't want to," she said. "And he's going to do anything and say anything, I would suggest, to be able to stay here."

Martin appointed Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs Lucienne Robillard to Volpe's file.

Martin explained that he would have supported Sgro if she had decided to stay in cabinet until after the federal ethics commissioner had ruled on her conduct.

"She decided that she wanted to step down in order to defend herself... and I accepted her resignation, with regret, on that basis," he said.

The growing ethical controversy was set off last year, when Sgro was first accused of helping a stripper who volunteered in her Toronto campaign office with her residence permit.

Since then, the 60-year-old minister has fielded allegations she took an improper election donation from a member of her riding association, and that her chief of staff held an inappropriate meeting with a strip club owner who was having trouble bringing dancers from abroad.

The federal ethics commissioner is already investigating several of the allegations levelled at Sgro.

With files from CTV's Roger Smith and The Canadian Press

This is indicative of the depths to which corruption has ruined this Liberal misgovernment. Here's a list of other Liberal hacks who have resigned in scandal in the last decade:

Lawernce MacAulay; Solicitor General - conflict on interest

Art Eggelton; Defence Minister - conflict of interest

Andy Scott: Solicitor General - APEC scandal

David Collinette - Defence Minister - ethics ( lack thereof )

Sheila Copps - Deputy PM - resigned over Liberal govt's failure to abolish GST as promised during election.

It's pretty ironic that the most honourable reason for resigination was given by Sheila Copps. . .

Interesting development....

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1105743772773&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

mo-litia said:
Sheila Copps - Deputy PM - resigned over Liberal govt's failure to abolish GST as promised during election.

It's pretty ironic that the most honourable reason for resigination was given by Sheila Copps. . .

No kidding; especially when the real reason she "quit" is because is because she got muscled out by Martin's faction, who (rightly) saw her as a harpy....

S_Baker said:
After reading the "facts"   PIZZA?   I am still not sure of what to think, however from what I have gathered is that he was in Canada illegally, doesn't really matter that he made a "life" for his family.   What about all the people that are following the rules so they can emigrate to Canada, is it fair to them?   Seems to me that he should be sent to the back of the line...........

Did you read the link I posted? The guy's a fricking scam artist - deport him ASAP along with his accomplice relatives.

Back