• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Washing the ground sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da_man

Reaction score
I had a problem with my ground sheet.  It smelled like rotten cheese, so i decided to give it a spin in the washing machine.  Turns out one of the layers got riped apart.  How the hell was i supposed to clean it?

At least it smells fresh now  :-\

the ground sheet was extremely old to begin with, i dont know if its why one of the layers got riped apart.

Those darn things smell like stale beer puke at the best of times.  When they don't stink anymore, they aren't waterproof anymore.  Trade it in at QM Stores.

Tom

cause you DON'T put them in the wash...

don't assume everything you own can go through the wash....

I wouldn't want to use it in the field now.. welcome to having a nice
shower if it ever rains.. cause that thing isn't going to hold... I suggest
exchanging it from the QM...

Its not as bad as I know someone who was told to 'boil' their boots.
I think the person meant use hot water and then put it on so it
molds.. but this person.. being new.. boiled their boots...

Did you know they shrink when boiled!?!???

Makes one hell of a tasty broth though!  ;)

I stretch mine out between two trees and spray it with a hose; then let it sit outside to kill some of the "cheese stink."

Am I the only one laughing my A** off at this thread. Not the question or answer individually oh well maybe its just my dementia setting in.

Gramps said:
Am I the only one laughing my A** off at this thread

No...I laughed my @$$ off when he said he ran it through the washing machine (because on BMQ, the first thing we were told in regards to the groundsheet was "DON'T" put it in the washing machine!) I've seen the aftermath of this; it ain't pretty, and your mood certainly won't be when you wake up in your hooch soaked to the bones.

LMAO  ;D

lol. "at least it smells fresh now"

I remember an instructor once told a group (candidly) "At the best of times your groundsheet will smell like a wino who's puked on himself, a good infanteer uses the stink as motivation to kill things"

The washing machine? You're lucky you didn't break any bones.   I always had the groundsheet wash herself back at her place so as not to contaminate my shower...   Thinking back, contaminating my shower was the least of my worries.    :-[

Try a bottle of febreeze and hang it outside for a couple days......That wont work in your case MP 00161

MP 00161 said:
The washing machine? You're lucky you didn't break any bones.   I always had the groundsheet wash herself back at her place so as not to contaminate my shower...   Thinking back, contaminating my shower was the least of my worries.    :-[

That's quite possibly the funniest thing I have heard so far in 2005.    ;D

There's a new issue ground sheet now... it weighs slightly more, but it doesn't stink or fall apart the same way... so it's a trade off...

"There's a new issue ground sheet now... it weighs slightly more, but it doesn't stink or fall apart the same way... so it's a trade off"

Are you refering to the issue ground sheets, or the ones MP 00161 was talking about?  If the latter, I'd agree with the "weigh slightly more" part, but that's about it.  ;D

Tom

Fat women are like mopeds. Fun to ride till your friends see you on one.

Before we start sharing personal experiences, I think I'll discretely close this.  Asked and answered, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back