• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Want to be an officer but your grades aren't good enough?

I had and 85% average in grade 12 and I am now attending University of Toronto Commerce and Finance program. (Consistently rated top 3 undergraduate business education in Canada) and I did not get into RMC for I was ````up in grade 9 and 10. I really don’t think the system is reflective of the student’s capabilities. Especially with boys who mature a lot later, like myself.

PS: it was a minor blessing in disguise, for I am having a blast at UfT

Fiji said:
I had and 85% average in grade 12 and I am now attending University of Toronto Commerce and Finance program. (Consistently rated top 3 undergraduate business education in Canada) and I did not get into RMC for I was ````up in grade 9 and 10. I really don’t think the system is reflective of the student’s capabilities. Especially with boys who mature a lot later, like myself.

And how do you think the assessment shold be done?  An essay writing contest?  No ... wait ... that wouldn't work either because the late maturing types weren't paying attention in English/French class either.  So, we should just take your word for it?

All that I am saying is that being and A student in grade 12, when the courses are hardest, they should overlook my mess ups when I was 14! I took all 3 university math’s(in the Ontario curriculum) with 80% above. I'm doing very well at one of the hardest institutions in Canada. I was already in the reserve and had complete my BMQ when I applied. But yet I was not good enough for the RMC because of academic reasons? Explain that to me? UfT and Queens thought I was. What, is the RMC full of elite academics where the CF thought I was incapable of coping with? Give me a break, who cares what you did in grade 9 and 10? Your 14/15? On top of that being constantly active playing AAA hockey, was student council vice president, and coached a little league team. I’m still applying for ROTP, and that last time I talked to the recruiters they where pretty confident that I would succeed, given my recent university transcript. But a lot of other young guys in my position would have been very turned off. That’s why the system should put more emphasis on the later years.

Fiji said:
All that I am saying is that being and A student in grade 12, when the courses are hardest, they should overlook my mess ups when I was 14! I took all 3 university math’s(in the Ontario curriculum) with 80% above. I'm doing very well at one of the hardest institutions in Canada. I was already in the reserve and had complete my BMQ when I applied. But yet I was not good enough for the RMC because of academic reasons? Explain that to me? UfT and Queens thought I was. What, is the RMC full of elite academics where the CF thought I was incapable of coping with? Give me a break, who cares what you did in grade 9 and 10? Your 14/15? On top of that being constantly active playing AAA hockey, was student council vice president, and coached a little league team. I’m still applying for ROTP, and that last time I talked to the recruiters they where pretty confident that I would succeed, given my recent university transcript. But a lot of other young guys in my position would have been very turned off. That’s why the system should put more emphasis on the later years.

:crybaby:

If we started to consider every single individual factor, the system would grind to a halt......and everyone already bitches on how slow it is now !!  Standards were set, you dont meet them......have a nice day.

Just thought I'd add an opinion to this thread.

I suggest to those persons looking for a "quick fix" to their marks to not take courses from Athabasca unless you are absolutely committed to doing the work.  Do not suspect that simply because the courses (for the most part, anyway) from Athabasca U are taken via distance learning that they are a piece of cake.  Studying "at" Athabasca University is not easy.  I know this from personal experience.  In many respects distance learning is more difficult than the traditional method.

However, that being said, you could still give an Athabasca course a try to see if it is something suitable for you.  You'll get six months to complete it, and if that isn't enough time you can extend it twice for two months each.  A benefit of Athabasca is that you generally work at your own pace so you can complete your assignments when you want and take your exams when you decide to.  If you find that the style of delivery just isn't working out for you, withdrawal deadlines are very accommodating.

I think that for many people with a local university or college, looking into continuing education options would serve their purpose.  Many schools now have programs leading to degrees that you can complete via continuing education.

PS: It makes me cringe every time I see it, so let me correct everyone right now.  It is Athabasca with a 'c', not a 'k'.  I expect I probably wouldn't care if it wasn't for the fact I lived there for 4 years.

Trinity said:
Hey

if you can't get into Carleton University....  then
you really have to have crappy grades.

I went to last chance university and my grades were POOR.

Hey, I resent that, Padre! :p Carleton isn't garbage anymore, particularly some of the programs. The criminology honours program I'm in is particularly well regarded, as well as their journalism, and surprisingly a few of their engineering and science programs.

Casing said:

PS: It makes me cringe every time I see it, so let me correct everyone right now.  It is Athabasca with a 'c', not a 'k'.  I expect I probably wouldn't care if it wasn't for the fact I lived there for 4 years.

You are absolutely correct - and I know better, yet I STILL did it!

Back