• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I good enough to be an infantry officer?

roman.t32

Inactive
Reaction score
I know this question is probably asked a million times but I wanted to ask an answer about me specifically. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

So I graduated in 2022 and I've been working for the past year since I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Recently I applied to the infantry but didn't get accepted due to medical reasons. However I realized that I want to be an officer and not a NCM. I've heard that it's really hard to get into RMC, and it also depends on how many people are being accepted that year.
I don't know if there are different cfat's for NCM and Officers, but when I applied to the infantry I was told I got 87% on it.

I graduated with an 81% average in high school (personal things came up and I got a 68% in calculus which dragged my average down). I wasn't very active in school sports, but I've been going to the gym for 2 years and I'm in pretty good shape. I also ran a leadership club my senior year; it was the first time it was ever done in my area and it was very successful. I worked afterschool for almost all of my grade 11 & 12 years as well.

Is this enough for me to make the competitive list as an infantry officer? I saw that I might be able to use my grade 11 math mark if I apply for an art degree which would raise my average to 86%.

I am planning to apply for next year, so I have time to improve as much as I can. I was thinking of maybe taking a summer course, or volunteering more.

Really you're askign two questions. The part you put out front is "Am I good enough to be an infantry officer?", but the real question underlying that is "am I competitive for RMC?"

There are a lot of RMC discussions here that can speak to competitiveness/suitability. In one line, stack your resume as best you can with the outside of school stuff. Maybe between now and whenever an admission decision would be made for RMC intake, do a couple university classes as a part time/special student. It shows you give a shit and are pushing yourself.

The other question "am I good enough to be an infantry officer?" is one that's ultimately answered at CFB Gagetown on the Infantry Officer phase courses, if you make it to that point. Don't try to figure out if you're good enough; spend your time and energy making yourself fitter and better.

In the event that this time around you aren't successful in getting admitted to ROTP, and if you end up going to civilian university, consider joining the Army Reserve. There are infantry units all over the place, and it would be a way to start getting some exposure to CAF. You might even succesfully get in as an infantry officer int he reserve, and later be able to component transfer into the regular force. It's not unheard of for someone to start university on their own dime while joining the reserves, and get accepted to ROTP after their first year.

What makes you think that the medical standards are any different between officer and NCM?
Yeah, I missed this detail.

NCM and Officer have the same medical standards for joining whatever stopped you medically from joining needs to be overcome. Hopefully it’s a straightforward injury or illness with a positive prognosis for full recovery. If it’s something like a mental health diagnosis, much harder.

I know this question is probably asked a million times but I wanted to ask an answer about me specifically. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

So I graduated in 2022 and I've been working for the past year since I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Recently I applied to the infantry but didn't get accepted due to medical reasons. However I realized that I want to be an officer and not a NCM. I've heard that it's really hard to get into RMC, and it also depends on how many people are being accepted that year.
I don't know if there are different cfat's for NCM and Officers, but when I applied to the infantry I was told I got 87% on it.

I graduated with an 81% average in high school (personal things came up and I got a 68% in calculus which dragged my average down). I wasn't very active in school sports, but I've been going to the gym for 2 years and I'm in pretty good shape. I also ran a leadership club my senior year; it was the first time it was ever done in my area and it was very successful. I worked afterschool for almost all of my grade 11 & 12 years as well.

Is this enough for me to make the competitive list as an infantry officer? I saw that I might be able to use my grade 11 math mark if I apply for an art degree which would raise my average to 86%.

I am planning to apply for next year, so I have time to improve as much as I can. I was thinking of maybe taking a summer course, or volunteering more.

In my experience, the best Infantry Officers really wanted to be an Infantry Officer.

That's probably the most important qualification...

What makes you think that the medical standards are any different between officer and NCM?
I haven't received the letter yet explaining why I was rejected, however I suspect it was because of depression. I was diagnosed with it 3 years ago but it hasn't been a problem this past year and a half. I know the standards are the same and depression is going to make it harder to get accepted.

Infantry whether Reserve or Regular force means being outdoors. So on top of the other advice you gotten, spend time outdoors, learning fieldcraft, hiking and orienteering, learn how to do a map both with compass and GPS. learn how to tent in the wild, make fires, look after yourself. Regardless of what happens regarding the military, you feel much better about yourself and be fit and not just "gym fit". The best bush guys I have seen are lean and wiry.

Yeah, I missed this detail.

NCM and Officer have the same medical standards for joining whatever stopped you medically from joining needs to be overcome. Hopefully it’s a straightforward injury or illness with a positive prognosis for full recovery. If it’s something like a mental health diagnosis, much harder.
CEMS is the same for all ab initio entrants; the medical standards for both officers and NCMs in the infantry are the same. The full list is available at:

Infantry whether Reserve or Regular force means being outdoors. So on top of the other advice you gotten, spend time outdoors, learning fieldcraft, hiking and orienteering, learn how to do a map both with compass and GPS. learn how to tent in the wild, make fires, look after yourself. Regardless of what happens regarding the military, you feel much better about yourself and be fit and not just "gym fit". The best bush guys I have seen are lean and wiry.
We eat crayons to. Red are the best flavor.

Back